Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2114365 - 07/07/13 09:05 PM Jon Schmidt Course - Thoughts for adult beginner
USMCGRUNT Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Hello all,

Has anyone had any experience with using the Jon Schmidt books? I know Alfred's is probably the most popular out there, but I was wondering what you thought of the Jon Schmidt collection for an adult beginner? Thanks!

I'll include the link below:

Jon Schmidt

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2114396 - 07/07/13 11:26 PM Re: Jon Schmidt Course - Thoughts for adult beginner [Re: USMCGRUNT]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
USMCGRUNT, I have read your post, here:

Has anyone had any experience with using the Jon Schmidt books? I know Alfred's is probably the most popular out there, but I was wondering what you thought of the Jon Schmidt collection for an adult beginner? Thanks!

I'll include the link below:

Jon Schmidt

The internet is not a place safe place so there is no reason to click on the unknown. Music stores around the world have lots of piano books for beginners that are inexpensive and known.

#2114428 - 07/08/13 12:30 AM Re: Jon Schmidt Course - Thoughts for adult beginner [Re: USMCGRUNT]
USMCGRUNT Offline

Sorry, it's not that it is unknown, I just don't know about it. Jon Schmidt is the artist from The Piano Guys. If you don't feel safe clicking on the link, you can just Google his name as well. But I was looking for suggestions from people who have used this before.

#2114456 - 07/08/13 01:52 AM Re: Jon Schmidt Course - Thoughts for adult beginner [Re: USMCGRUNT]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
I don't think I've heard of anyone here using this course. Have you used the search function? (You want to use the google search box on the upper left, not the built-in forum search).

neglected piano blog

#2114542 - 07/08/13 07:47 AM Re: Jon Schmidt Course - Thoughts for adult beginner [Re: USMCGRUNT]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Hi USMCGRUNT,

I did purchase the "67 Fun Songs" book a few months back. At the time I was a little disappointed with it so I put it aside and continued with the Alfred series. But now that I have a few months under my belt, I may play around with it a bit.

I do think you need to have a good music background to jump into the Schmidt method. There is some theory introduced as the weeks/lessons progress, but a good amount of note reading that is probably more extensive than what I have experienced with Alfred's. The Schmidt book just seems to ramp up in complexity much quicker.

For a beginner, just starting out, I still prefer the Alfred books.

I don't know if any of this helps. But if you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask.

#2114551 - 07/08/13 08:31 AM Re: Jon Schmidt Course - Thoughts for adult beginner [Re: USMCGRUNT]
USMCGRUNT Offline

I did try to use the search function first and came up with nothing. That is why it made me a little skeptical.

Scorpio, that did answer some questions and I appreciate it. I've heard of a couple teachers using this through the grape vine and wanted to hear some experiences just as you have told me. It seems that Alfred's is definitely at the top of the pack. Thanks!

#2114783 - 07/08/13 05:04 PM Re: Jon Schmidt Course - Thoughts for adult beginner [Re: USMCGRUNT]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
I'm not familiar with Schmidt's course, so I can't comment on it. I will say, though, that I've got a couple of individual pieces of his sheet music, and I absolutely love how he annotates his music. Some of the comments he makes about fingering etc. are wicked funny. grin

#2114879 - 07/08/13 08:51 PM Re: Jon Schmidt Course - Thoughts for adult beginner [Re: Michael_99]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Michael_99
The internet is not a place safe place so there is no reason to click on the unknown. Music stores around the world have lots of piano books for beginners that are inexpensive and known.

Jon Schmidt is hardly an unknown. Schmidt comes from a musical family and he was a well established piano teacher before becoming famous with the Piano Guys. Schmidt has written many solo compositions for the piano that could be frequently heard on Pandora in addition to his many covers with the Piano Guys which are very entertaining.

From what I heard, Schmidt did not teach the traditional classical method, but taught "modern" music, or what some might call new age along with classical. So his method could be interesting to someone looking for an alternative to classical or jazz approaches to piano.

#2114904 - 07/08/13 09:58 PM Re: Jon Schmidt Course - Thoughts for adult beginner [Re: 4evrBeginR]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
Originally Posted By: 4evrBeginR
From what I heard, Schmidt did not teach the traditional classical method, but taught "modern" music, or what some might call new age along with classical. So his method could be interesting to someone looking for an alternative to classical or jazz approaches to piano.

Thanks for the info! That sounds potentially interesting.

neglected piano blog

#2114955 - 07/09/13 12:24 AM Re: Jon Schmidt Course - Thoughts for adult beginner [Re: USMCGRUNT]
USMCGRUNT Offline

Yes, I concur. Thank you all very much for the info!!

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
baldwin 2nd hand
by johan d
41 minutes 43 seconds ago
a steinway rebuilt and a mason hamlin rebuilt
by koap
58 minutes 15 seconds ago
Chopin Étude No 12 in C minor, Op 10 'Revolutionary'
by Maximillyan
Today at 09:25 AM
Sustaining vs Dead On Unison
by Mark Cerisano, RPT
Today at 08:48 AM
Short tests of numerous digital & acoustic pianos
by WaterDweller
Today at 07:10 AM
Who's Online
130 registered (ajames, accordeur, Alexander Borro, aesop, amt976, 38 invisible), 1496 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76399 Members
42 Forums
157948 Topics
2319560 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission