2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Burkhard, apianostudent, Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,858 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by pianolover85
Just curious...as to how people in Europe learn piano? do they have some sort of a european method? I gather there are no Alfred methods available in europe so they must have their own methods.

I also after a quick browsing of google found out that some europeans actually do not like method books at all. So how do they learn it?

Do they go through Beyer and Czerny op. 599 books?

Thanks smile

I'm not in Europe. But I became curious where you are. Are you in Asia? I am from Japan and we used Czerny Beyer etc as you mentioned. But I have never seen anyone use Beyer. Czerny and Burgmuller yes. But not Beyer. Isn't it interesting?

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark...
The main difference is that when driving to lessons they sit on the right...

Only if you are the passenger! The only part of Europe still driving on the "other side" is the UK. smile

Here in Italy the Alfred books are available but don't have a huge profile.
Czerny and Duvernoy are used for exercises - but rather than working through books teachers seem to work through a very very broad selection of pieces - and generally all "classical" (I use the term broadly).

Apart from the actual selection of the music, and the fact that in most countries here the notes are called "do -re- mi" rather than "a- b- c".... I think it is pretty much the same.

Many Italian teachers like - insist on - solfegge.... I balked at that because I refused to take the extra effort needed to shift over to do-re-mi and it was just too confusing as my first teacher didn't speak English. I'll sing the parts with my new teacher but only for the sound, not for note naming.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

A
A
Originally Posted by shinegamix
alfred is hard to come by at music stores here. but there are alot of international solutions(amazon). for me. i use the lypur method(http://www.youtube.com/user/Lypur) my days are full with all sorts of assignments. so i cant go to a school/teacher for lessons

Broekmans & Van Poppel in Amsterdam translates and sells much of the Alfred method, actually. My local store also carries the books, as well as other popular methods.

Originally Posted by casinitaly
Apart from the actual selection of the music, and the fact that in most countries here the notes are called "do -re- mi" rather than "a- b- c".... I think it is pretty much the same.

"c-d-e", or do you Italians learn the minor keys first? :p

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
According to what I have seen here in Europe (visiting stores in UK, Belgium, Germany and Spain), the fever for the Alfred Adult Beginner books, and the Kawai digital piano fever are pianoworld.com specific appearances only. Out on the street, they are of minor interest. Regarding method books, I couldn´t see any mayor preference for the one or other book, here. There are at least 2 dozens of german books, 1 dozen of english and 1 dozen of french methods available. Teachers stick with children to a book, but for adults the teachers whom I met give student specific classes based on a personal selection of classical repertoire. And it is made use a lot of scales and arpeggios for training body and finger postures, and how to derive different sound from them.

If you ask for a recommendation, I would first mention the books of the publisher Chester. The author Carol Barratt did some good job with her adults beginner edition, which you can find i.e. here.!

Last edited by Marco M; 07/08/13 04:28 AM.
S
S
Originally Posted by Marco M
According to what I have seen here in Europe (visiting stores in UK, Belgium, Germany and Spain), the fever for the Alfred Adult Beginner books, and the Kawai digital piano fever are pianoworld.com specific appearances only. Out on the street, they are of minor interest. Regarding method books, I couldn´t see any mayor preference for the one or other book, here. There are at least 2 dozens of german books, 1 dozen of english and 1 dozen of french methods available. Teachers stick with children to a book, but for adults the teachers whom I met give student specific classes based on a personal selection of classical repertoire. And it is made use a lot of scales and arpeggios for training body and finger postures, and how to derive different sound from them.

If you ask for a recommendation, I would first mention the books of the publisher Chester. The author Carol Barratt did some good job with her adults beginner edition, which you can find i.e. here.!

kawai is harderto find here, while korg roland and yamaha are evrywhere and even get sold at the department stores.

Kawai CA65

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Allard
[quote=casinitaly

"c-d-e", or do you Italians learn the minor keys first? :p

[/quote]

lol...ok smarty pants smile You got me on that one.

and btw - (I don't think it is always clear) -I live in Italy, but I'm not Italian smile , I'm Canadian.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

J
J
Today at work, I was chatting to a colleague who was born and educated in Poland. He recounted how music was compulsory throughout primary and high school. He was embarrassed that he had to stand up and sing in front of everybody. School syllabus included music history & Chopin.... He played piano and guitar but his class mates learnt different instruments..... Playing music was an integral part of life then, some 40 years ago.
This is an interesting finding.

Y
Y
Originally Posted by TimR
Originally Posted by Mark...
The main difference is that when driving to lessons they sit on the right...

As an American who lived in Germany for 5 years courtesy of the US Army, I can tell you two things.

1. You sit on the left, drive on the right.
2. You keep driving because there ARE NO PARKING SPOTS!

Lol, made my day, you are absolutely right.
But on the other hand - we have a lot of freeways without speed limit, very good car radios and we are skilled to eat while driving - so why should we want to stop keep driving? grin

Last edited by yester; 07/08/13 12:34 PM.

A journey of a thousend miles begins with a single step. (Laozi)
I made my first piano-step on June 2010.
B
B
I started with Beyer, then Czerny op. 599 books and then Clementi Sonatinas, Beethoven and so on. Of course methods vary from country to country and from school to school and obviously some adults may want to follow a different path and ask the teacher for it.
At our school we also take theory+solfège lessons, 1 hour a week.

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by yester
... why should we want to stop keep driving? grin

Ya gotta stop to buy beer!

Originally Posted by Bobpickle
...Presumably... similar... their brains, eyes, and bodies to us grin

I do knoooo? Are you sure? Rod Serling might be hiding in the corner.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission