Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2114061 - 07/07/13 03:26 AM Voices
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Is it okay to write a second voice to hold a chord even though the pedal will sustain that chord? Must each finger hold down the note for as long as the note value dictates? Or is it okay to release the fingers due to the pedal keeping it sustained?

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#2114080 - 07/07/13 05:45 AM Re: Voices [Re: JoelW]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Sometimes, even if a pedal sign is missing, it's assumed that one needs to hold the notes down via the sustain (or even the sostenuto) pedal. Otherwise the note values won't be possible to be held...

So I think it's ok, although I'm not 100% sure of what you mean exactly!

#2114283 - 07/07/13 04:08 PM Re: Voices [Re: JoelW]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Okay, I see what you mean. But just in case...

Do the dotted half notes signal that you should pedal? Or should I simply make them eighth notes like the rest but add pedal markings to ensure their sustain?

PS: Don't worry about those accidentals, I'll fix that up later. grin

#2114406 - 07/07/13 11:39 PM Re: Voices [Re: JoelW]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

No it's not clear, because you can play the right hand with... the right hand. There's no indication that you want the upper staff to be played by both hands, so naturally the pianist will hold the D octaves with the left hand and pay everything with the right.

But flip the upper tie upwards please. And downwards on the first two chords! wink

#2114432 - 07/08/13 12:40 AM Re: Voices [Re: JoelW]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

What do you mean left hand taking over the right hand? I thought 2 voices in one staff was played by one hand, not two? The dotted half notes need to be sustained for the whole measure. I didn't want to change them to eighth-note chords, because then I would have to write in pedal to keep them sustained, which I don't want to do because I want a lot of freedom when it comes to pedaling. I don't want to mark up the whole score with pedal markings.

#2114434 - 07/08/13 12:50 AM Re: Voices [Re: JoelW]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

You mentioned the tie direction... what are the rules on that? (there are also a couple upper ties that can't really be up-facing like you asked)

#2114464 - 07/08/13 02:15 AM Re: Voices [Re: JoelW]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

If the lower staff is to be played by the left hand then there's no need to be discussing anything...

for convenience sometimes we notate things in a single staff, even though they are supposed to be played by both hands.

The rules about ties are that the notes get a tie in the other direction. If you have 2 (or more notes) the outward notes get a tie that 'encompass' the chord (going outward themselves and growing larger. Can't explain it any better).

Think of it like this: ALL of your ties, except the one in the lower D note (in the octaves) are looking in the wrong way! wink

#2114484 - 07/08/13 03:20 AM Re: Voices [Re: JoelW]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

What do you mean "outward notes"?

#2114605 - 07/08/13 11:15 AM Re: Voices [Re: JoelW]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
Originally Posted By: JoelW
What do you mean "outward notes"?
Would it make more sense to refer to them as the outside notes of the chord?

#2114894 - 07/08/13 09:24 PM Re: Voices [Re: JoelW]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
I think what you've indicated is perfectly clear -- let the pianist figure out whether they want to use the LH or the RH. Sometimes, even when the composer indicates which hand to use, I change it anyway. (You can go on youtube and find hundreds of examples of professional big-name pianists doing the same thing.)

I think the biggest difference in writing it with either the two voices you've used, or an 8th note with a pedal marking, is the voicing itself. The way you've written it makes it much easier to determine which notes to bring out, and how long to hold each note, than a pedal marking would be able to tell us.

If you need extra convincing, look at the few instances where the sustained note is re-struck. If you don't clearly mark it the way you have done, that repeated note may not be brought out differently because it's not written that way. (In other words, the pianist may confuse an intended pseudo-sustain of the harmony with the notes of the melody.)

#2114996 - 07/09/13 02:39 AM Re: Voices [Re: JoelW]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Steve - No, it still makes no sense to me. frown

Derulux - Thank you for your thoughts. I think it has help solidify my decision to use multiple voices for those chords and NOT pedal markings. Now I'm just kind of stressed about the ties... and the accidentals. They're trying to explain to me the rules of ties (and slurs?) and I'm just not understanding.

#2115008 - 07/09/13 03:52 AM Re: Voices [Re: JoelW]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Ok...

If you have a chord of 2 notes (an octave for example), the ties will need to look at different directions. The one connecting the bottom note will be like a happy smile, while the one on the top note will be like an unhappy smile.

If there's more than 2 notes in a chord, you flip the middle ties whichever way fits better (but usually above the middle B it gets the unhappy smile), etc...

I'm without Finale/Sibelius for this week and I can't show you what I mean. But really... just find any work with ties and check what's going on. In fact this is a good practice overall: Check what others have done before you!

#2115009 - 07/09/13 04:00 AM Re: Voices [Re: Nikolas]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Nikolas
But really... just find any work with ties and check what's going on. In fact this is a good practice overall: Check what others have done before you!

Actually I do this all the time. I'm constantly referring to my Henle editions to get an idea of what's correct, but sometimes it's not sufficient. I think you've explained it so that I understand now. There's so much room for miscommunication when explaining something like this over text, so I'm sorry that it's taken this long!

#2115012 - 07/09/13 04:24 AM Re: Voices [Re: JoelW]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Any better?

#2115014 - 07/09/13 04:28 AM Re: Voices [Re: JoelW]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Yes it is. Well done! Flip the upper tie in bar 7 and you're done as far as ties are concerned! grin

#2115018 - 07/09/13 04:44 AM Re: Voices [Re: JoelW]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Okay, but I thought the ties on middle notes can face any direction?

#2115121 - 07/09/13 11:47 AM Re: Voices [Re: JoelW]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Not really, but I'd have to look a bit harder to check the rules...

It all has to do about balance. If something looks weird, then it IS weird (and thus """"wrong"""" (with all the " in the world))

#2115222 - 07/09/13 03:51 PM Re: Voices [Re: JoelW]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia

From my understanding, middle notes tend to "group". So, if you looked at a first inversion chord, the bottom third would group with a happy smile, and the top note would get a frown. If you looked at a 2nd inversion chord (like at the beginning of your piece), the bottom note is a loner happy-smile, while the top two notes are grouped as frowners.

But what you have in measure 7 is actually the top note of the tie (with an additional voice above it).

This is one of those tricky cases, I think, which is why everyone's stumbling over it. I actually believe I've seen it printed both ways. Sometimes, a happy smile to really emphasize that there's a separate voice above the tie. Sometimes, with the frown because, for balance, they really needed to turn it upside down. wink

I think that technically, a frown would be more correct than a smile, but I think because of the extra voices, you may be able to get away with either. (This is, of course, my best guess. I don't have this rule pegged 100%..)

#2115762 - 07/10/13 04:38 PM Re: Voices [Re: JoelW]
Michael Sayers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholms lšn, Sverige
Hi Joel,

Something that could be done here would be to indicate that before bar one the pianist silently depresses the lowest D in that bar and the D below that, then apply the sostenuto pedal which will keep the dampers off both Ds through bar eight and allow minimization of use of the main damper pedal through all eight bars.

M.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
83 registered (Atrys, Anticlock, Austin D, Art_Vandelay, AndrewJCW, 27 invisible), 1307 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75553 Members
42 Forums
156219 Topics
2294236 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Birthday Cinnamonbear!
by Kuanpiano
07/27/14 11:17 PM
Finger "Tapes": Purpose?
by CleverName
07/27/14 10:56 PM
Accessories needed for grand pianos.
by Stevio55
07/27/14 08:31 PM
Schulze Pollmann 113e Moderno detail information?
by pdxfz1
07/27/14 07:12 PM
Will starting on unweighted keys cause problems later on?
by Alex1
07/27/14 05:43 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission