Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2115172 - 07/09/13 02:05 PM piano journey beyond the bench
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
When I started playing the piano, I, of course, enjoyed the journey very much. But there was something missing. I was content with the fact that I couldn't afford a teacher. I was content with my progress. I was not content with my practice time of at least a hour a day - energy permitting - but it is improving slowly. I would be content if I could play 3 hours a day - I am not there yet. So what was missing? Well, the other day I headed out to the university. Growing up in a small isolated town, I very much appreciate living in a city with a university. I could go - and I did go - but more recently I would have to turn around and head home because my energy level was fading like a cheap battery. It could be that I have a better battery charger now or things are improving. It was wonderful. I found a comfortable chair and grabbed some piano magazines, Pianist, International Piano, and one that I hadn't seen before "Clavier companion". Some great stories about Chopin and his music and Schumann and his music. This is what was missing from my piano journey. Books, magazines, pamphlets on affordable piano events. An affordable education within reach. A priceless gift. Now there is nothing missing in my piano journey.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2115226 - 07/09/13 03:55 PM Re: piano journey beyond the bench [Re: Michael_99]
JosephAC Offline

Loc: Melbourne Australia
Some days, I would practice for 4-5 hours a day and other days hardly one hour. While energy level is an important factor, there are definitely other determinant factors. I notice that after a holiday break, I have a new outlook, a new optiminum, a new determination to spend more time on the bench.
Nowadays, my discipline and goodwill is hampered and I am continously wondering and searching for the root cause. It seems to me that lack of good night sleep is my biggest deterrent.

I am also finding that as my music journey continues, I develop the stamina and the tenacity to approach my practice with a new meaning and explore what is out there. I always visualise myself as a small fish in the ocean and my earthy life as a speck in our expanding universe. There is so much to explore.
Will we ever reach the state of completeness ? We might discover another piece of the puzzle, but the puzzle has no boundary. Our boundary is limited to our thinking. We are prisoners of our thoughts.
Some claim that they achieve a state of wholeness and completeness through meditation. I experienced it occasionally. But it is a transient state and not a permanent state.

An interesting journey.... searching for meaning.

Edited by JosephAC (07/09/13 03:59 PM)

#2115291 - 07/09/13 06:46 PM Re: piano journey beyond the bench [Re: Michael_99]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
There is a lifetime worth of great books, articles, and such to read about the topic, I agree smile

#2115298 - 07/09/13 07:08 PM Re: piano journey beyond the bench [Re: Michael_99]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
A wonderful post Michael99 and very insightful follow up JosephAC. I was chatting with a friend on Sunday who is training for a 250km run through extremely tough trail. He will have climbed three Mount Everest's if he completes the challenge. As an ex ultramarthon runner I should have been seething with jealously as he talked about it but no. Since switching my passion to piano I feel so content, I would be happy to do nothing else.

#2115438 - 07/09/13 11:51 PM Re: piano journey beyond the bench [Re: earlofmar]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

earlofmar, I have read your post, here:

A wonderful post Michael99 and very insightful follow up JosephAC. I was chatting with a friend on Sunday who is training for a 250km run through extremely tough trail. He will have climbed three Mount Everest's if he completes the challenge. As an ex ultramarthon runner I should have been seething with jealously as he talked about it but no. Since switching my passion to piano I feel so content, I would be happy to do nothing else.

I was thinking about you today, because I have seen your references to your running as you have done so now.

In trying to increase my practice time, I realized that I should start out playing any of the pieces I have learned, along with the new stuff I am learning. But the key is to keep playing, like running, you have to stay in the grove. Resting, of course, but I mean once I have my time level up, then I can concentrate what it is I want to play in the time I have. There no rush or anything, but I would like to be increasing my learning rate just a little more than I am doing now.

Thanks for your post.

Edited by Michael_99 (07/09/13 11:53 PM)

#2115443 - 07/09/13 11:57 PM Re: piano journey beyond the bench [Re: Bobpickle]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Bobpickle, I have read your post, here:

There is a lifetime worth of great books, articles, and such to read about the topic, I agree smile

You are right, Bob, I didn't want to leave the library but realized there is always next time.

Edited by Michael_99 (07/09/13 11:58 PM)

#2115462 - 07/10/13 01:14 AM Re: piano journey beyond the bench [Re: Michael_99]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Michael...
I hope you know that. Today, with the advancements in technology, communication. Your library has the ability to get you any book from anywhere in the world. The librarians love doing this. That's what their job is all about. The libraries also carry the best books only. They have become a really great resource. Your library opens the world to you. For free. Yes there are some places that are so cheap. They will require you to pay the shipping on the book. I ran into that in one small town. Otherwise, they have the money, and want to do it.
I'm sure that your library at a University is top notch.

#2115488 - 07/10/13 02:31 AM Re: piano journey beyond the bench [Re: rnaple]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

rnaple, I have read your post, here:

I hope you know that. Today, with the advancements in technology, communication. Your library has the ability to get you any book from anywhere in the world. The librarians love doing this. That's what their job is all about. The libraries also carry the best books only. They have become a really great resource. Your library opens the world to you. For free. Yes there are some places that are so cheap. They will require you to pay the shipping on the book. I ran into that in one small town. Otherwise, they have the money, and want to do it.
I'm sure that your library at a University is top notch.

rnaple, Thanks for the post. I didn't know that. So I will make enquiries of services that are available.

I know that one of the only book stores in Canada, would NOT order a book for you. The bookstore said you had to order it online. I don't do any online business but support local businesses. I would go the university bookstore, and they would always order a book that you wanted. The Canadian bookstore now is selling stuff toys because book sales are down. How times change.

Again, thanks for the helpful post.

#2115495 - 07/10/13 03:33 AM Re: piano journey beyond the bench [Re: Michael_99]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Michael...

I hope you didn't misunderstand. I don't know anything about book stores.
What I said is about libraries. You borrow the book only. To be returned.

The Unabomber was getting books in their original language through the library in Helena Montana.

#2115553 - 07/10/13 07:27 AM Re: piano journey beyond the bench [Re: Michael_99]
JosephAC Offline

Loc: Melbourne Australia
Hey Michael,
I am not sure about Canada, but in Melbourne I access my local city library from my iPad. There is a vast and growing number of musical ebooks, audio books and journals that I read and listen to on my iPad at no cost to me. I do not need to visit my local library. Just check with your library as most libraries offer online services.

Edited by JosephAC (07/10/13 07:31 AM)

#2115554 - 07/10/13 07:29 AM Re: piano journey beyond the bench [Re: rnaple]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

rnaple, I have read your post, here:

I hope you didn't misunderstand. I don't know anything about book stores.
What I said is about libraries. You borrow the book only. To be returned.

The Unabomber was getting books in their original language through the library in Helena Montana.

No, I clearly understood that your remarks were about libraries. And I thank you for that.

#2115576 - 07/10/13 08:35 AM Re: piano journey beyond the bench [Re: Michael_99]
JimmyT Offline

Loc: A Dark Basement in Maine
Michael_99 and others,

There are at least two venues for getting a copy of a book that is not in your library.

• The library may purchase it outright (this sometimes happens if the request comes in at the end of the budget year when there is a surplus).
  • The library makes an interlibrary loan(ILL) request for a specific copy.

For US university libraries, typically, the ILL costs are covered by the library but they usually ask the maximum you are willing to pay to receive the manuscript/book (just in case the loaning party charges an exorbitant fee). I have used ILL requests at a few different university libraries and have never had to pay a penny. The one caveat is I was also an employee of those universities...not sure how they handle external ILL requests but unless they are for rare, valuable books, I would imagine the same process.
Regards,
--JT

#2116338 - 07/11/13 09:13 PM Re: piano journey beyond the bench [Re: Michael_99]
PianoGamer Offline

I'm coming a little late to this thread, but if you have Netflix, please please please watch two documentaries:

1)Pianomania - "This engaging documentary profiles Stefan Knüpfer, the master tuner for Steinway & Sons, who is tasked with the often-demanding job of pairing world-famous pianists with the right instrument and supervising all aspects of each piano's performance."

2) Note by Note: The Making of Steinway L1037 - "Chronicling the creation of Steinway pianos and the vanishing breed of craftsmen who build them, documentary filmmaker Ben Niles tracks the journey of these beautiful instruments from the factory to great concert halls."

I found both FASCINATING and inspiring and very educational!

#2116354 - 07/11/13 10:08 PM Re: piano journey beyond the bench [Re: Michael_99]
Palmpirate Offline

Loc: B.C.Canada
All this chatter about books and libraries reminds me of how much I really did enjoy the libraries at uni when I was there. I do have an internet account at our provincial library here in B.C. and it is wonderful but a screen is not the same as holding a book or magazine. We have UCBC here now and I am motivated to go visit their library, and also find out what recitals and concerts they have. What I miss is live performances and I make a point of finding a concert - piano of course - whenever we travel.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mason & Hamlin Opinions
by Hunt
09/19/14 03:23 PM
contacting with someone of VI Labs
by imyself
09/19/14 03:02 PM
My Initial Thoughts on Left/Right Hand Independence
by Visalia
09/19/14 01:23 PM
Questions regarding Schafer and Sons VS52
by Tankster911
09/19/14 12:42 PM
Transcribe tune
by pianomise
09/19/14 12:16 PM
Who's Online
151 registered (accordeur, aesop, 36251, ajames, 45 invisible), 1475 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76251 Members
42 Forums
157630 Topics
2315289 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission