2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 16 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 84 of 540 1 2 82 83 84 85 86 539 540
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
Hey, guys. I'm glad you enjoyed the video. With my hubby's request, I made it "private" so it soon becomes unavailable after 50 views or something like that. He told me that he does not want to be a youtube sensation. I told him "relax, you weren't nakid" but he is kinda shy about things.

Private means you can't search for it on YouTube ... you need the Url to view it. Of course you posted the link here so it's not so private any more.

Edit : never mind -ago I realized that this wasn't the private link you posted.

Last edited by Andy Platt; 11/13/11 07:35 PM.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MaryBee
Originally Posted by GlassLove
Just this week I received the music that I will be playing with a cellist. My part is quite easy, but the piece is really beautiful (if you like minimalist music). I have pasted a link to a wonderful youtube clip of it. Of course, we will never sound as remarkable as this, but it will be awfully fun trying!!!!
One of my favorite pieces! The first time I heard this was last year in a live piano/violin performance, and it brought tears to my eyes. Just lovely! I'm sure you will enjoy playing this.

Yes, I am having the time of my life.....thank you!!!! Isn't it remarkable how such a simple piece of music can be so beautiful??? I realize this isn't everyone's cup of tea, but there is something in its simplicity that touches me!!! I have worked through the first two pages and will make a recording for my cellist partner tomorrow. We practice together,but before getting together each of us makes a recording of oneself playing so the other can practice with the recording (or simply hear the other's sense of the piece). So far, I would have to say that this has been the most rewarding experience I have had since beginning piano. My cellist partner has had her musical fire stoked and just today she suggested that we play the first of six studies in English Folksong composed by Ralph Vaughan-Williams. I find it remarkably beautiful and feel very happy to know that it is one of her favorite pieces to play on the cello.

Christine

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have just submitted my first recital piece. I messed the end of it up but I'm going for it anyway and getting the red dot.

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Congratulations LBE! Looking forward to hearing it. I always print out my Order of the Red Dot and hang it on my office door smile

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Glasslove, I am so happy for you. What a lovely adventure you are embarking on.

When I got the piano I started inviting a few musical friends over, for dinner and music. They were all strangers to each other before that...We've now had 3-4 sessions which have been great fun - and just this weekend one of my buddies has issued an invitation to everyone, so we'll be playing at a new "venue". A whole new circle of friends has developed through our love for music.

JimF... I have no idea what playing scales in this fashion is called. You could well be right. I'll see what my teacher calls it (then I'll translate smile )

LBE, good for you! I'm waiting for the tuner to arrive, and then I hope to record and slip in under the wire. I considered just giving it a miss this time, but I really would like to join in .... we shall see. I may be putting myself in a too stressful position cutting it so close.

I could have recorded with the digital, but I didn't want to.

Cathy - my medals are on our fridge smile

OK...edited to add......I'm back to say that the tuner came, my piano and I are happy...and I got my recording for the recital done. whew.

Last edited by casinitaly; 11/14/11 07:12 AM.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Well I managed to be brave and submit a piece to the recital last week for the first time ever. It is just a little Spanish piece, but at least it was error free! The hardest part was learning how to get my AG N2 to talk to Audacity. Maybe I will really get brave and try YouTube for the next recital!

Musically speaking my accomplishment this week was playing well enough that my teacher thought I should be working on more complex music. So, I have three new pieces: one for Baroque, one for Classic, and one Romantic. I get to play Chopin again Yippee!

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by SwissMS
I get to play Chopin again Yippee!

And Chopin's Waltz in B minor to boot smile That's the "main" piece I learnt for the first half of this year. I love it, love it, love it. You can hear my version in the August '11 Recital.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
On the music, but not piano, related front: I just sung the Duruflé Requiem with our church choir and imported string & organ ensemble today. It's such a beautiful piece that I've grown to really love over the last couple of month's rehearsals. We'll do it again next year which will be good.

Magnificent work, and as interesting as it is beautiful. Great chance you have, to sing this piece.

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
SwissMS, Yep, Op 69 - 2 is a really beautiful walz. I think you will enjoy it smile

well, after the excitement of the ABF recital, I am back to my normal routine tired. I too am starting a couple of new pieces shortly. The third movement of the Pathetique this Wednesday and Bach English Suite (donno which one yet) as soon as I complete Rach 23-5. I am more excited about Bach piece than Beethoven. I have not played Bach officially .. about 15 years. I missed it. This week I listen to six English Suites to pick one that I am playing. Fun smile

I have to wait for my Chopin piece until the Beethoven piece is completed. I have a sneaking suspicion that my teacher would make me review all three movements after the third movement is over (sigh) frown. I did tell her that I love to play the whole sonata a year ago. Anyway, I will do whatever. I commit myself to it and I know I would love it afterwards

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Yea for you SwissMS - "just a little Spanish piece" has a lilt to it already - bet it's great smile I'll listen to you and Little Blue Engine first. First timers FTW laugh

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
E
E
I hope this isn't too basic for you folks, but I just got the biggest charge. I'm learning Can-Can in Alfred's book, and I keep playing (at like, 60) and I keep thinking this sounds no way like the Can-Can that I remember. Then I'm in the shower sounding out the notes in my head and I go a little faster, then faster, and holy cow!! - now its starting to sound like the Can-Can. No way I can play it fast enough with both hands, but with one hand somewhat faster than I'm used to, it really does sound right. Sooooo cool...

Ed Buratti
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Ed. Welcome to the forum. Nice to hear of your accomplishment. The speed will come as you get more comfortable with the music. I'll often set the metronome at the slowest speed when I'm learning a new piece, just to get the timing correct, or when I'm putting hands together for the first time. You'll get it soon!

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
M
M
This is my first post. I just started playing in August. My achievement this week was the first 8 bars of Bach's Minuet in G. That's all my teacher wanted me to try. I also played a bit of the RH of Schumann's Kinderszenen No. 1, just because I'm a bit obsessed with it at the moment.

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by MaryAnn
This is my first post. I just started playing in August. My achievement this week was the first 8 bars of Bach's Minuet in G. That's all my teacher wanted me to try. I also played a bit of the RH of Schumann's Kinderszenen No. 1, just because I'm a bit obsessed with it at the moment.

MaryAnn,

Welcome to the forum. We are all adult beginners or re-starters here.

BTW, your location says Japan. Do you still live there? I have been in the States for the last 20 some years but am actually from Japan. Hope things are getting better there.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi MaryAnn,
Welcome to the forum!!! 8 bars of Bach's Minuet is an awesome achievement for having played for only 4 months.
I share your love of Schumann and No. 1 from Kinderszenen is on my "to do soon" list. I also LOVE Mignon from his Album for the Young.

Christine

[Linked Image]
M
M
Thanks, GlassLove. I will listen to Mignon.

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
MAOW will be that I finally get out of the house today.

I work from home. I do have an office in my company building. My bosses are all in NY. We are all virtual. I can do everything from home but I start feeling wierd after so many days not going out and speaking with other human beings except my husband. After 6 or 7 days in a row staying home, I start to feel like I am engaging in a bunch of imaginary activities including conversations with my forum friends, the phone conversation, e-mail and my music. Did you guys ever feel this way? Have you had simlar experiences?

I think it's time for me to go out and mingle with my fellow muggles.

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Ed - I remember that feeling well - and I was only doing the oom-pah to back fiddlers for a dance! But at some point when I was first learning it, wow! it was music!

FarmGirl - I work from home a lot, too, but like you, I try to have a couple of clients outside because otherwise I become a clam smile

Cathy

Cathy
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Achievement of the week for me: I am close to getting the big jumps right in the Chopin E minor (Op. Posth) waltz. I had been trying to get that right for over a year now but the breakthrough came when I got a tip at a masterclass that I attended. The teacher asked me to treat the lowest note as the starting note of the figure (which was actually true in this case, but even if the jumps (left hand) started from the note above, it would probably be useful to think of the lower note as the starting note). The most useful tip then was to keep my arms close to my body. That reduced the effective distance my arm had to travel (I guess it has to do with having to control just the motion of the arm, now hinged in position at the elbow as opposed to having to control both arm motion and elbow motion when the elbow is not kept close to the body during these jumps).

Will post a video sometime to demonstrate this.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by liszt85
Achievement of the week for me: I am close to getting the big jumps right in the Chopin E minor (Op. Posth) waltz. I had been trying to get that right for over a year now but the breakthrough came when I got a tip at a masterclass that I attended. The teacher asked me to treat the lowest note as the starting note of the figure (which was actually true in this case, but even if the jumps (left hand) started from the note above, it would probably be useful to think of the lower note as the starting note). The most useful tip then was to keep my arms close to my body. That reduced the effective distance my arm had to travel (I guess it has to do with having to control just the motion of the arm, now hinged in position at the elbow as opposed to having to control both arm motion and elbow motion when the elbow is not kept close to the body during these jumps).

Will post a video sometime to demonstrate this.

Whew! I think a video would be helpful, not sure I get that message (though I think it is a safe bet to say I won't need it for this piece for ...oh 2-3.... decades wink )

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Page 84 of 540 1 2 82 83 84 85 86 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission