2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
21 members (cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 5 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
G
Yes, it is true. When Pletnev was young he could prepare a piece he had never played before in a few hours and then play it as if he had practiced on it for years. Same with the Scarlatti, however he had played some of the sonatas on his Scarlatti CD in recital before (I have recordings of them).

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gflat86
Yes, it is true. When Pletnev was young he could prepare a piece he had never played before in a few hours and then play it as if he had practiced on it for years. Same with the Scarlatti, however he had played some of the sonatas on his Scarlatti CD in recital before (I have recordings of them).
If he could learn it in a few hours and play it as if he had practiced it for years, that wouldn't say much for his ability to think about a piece of music. He may have been able to learn the technical aspect of a piece incredibly quickly and perform it at a level that was very excellent, but I don't think anyone can play a musically challenging masterpiece at the highest level they're capable of after a short amount of time learning it. Surely no one can develop their final and best interpretation in a few hours.

What is the source of your information? There seems to be some disagreement on this thread about whether he had played some or most of the Scarlatti in previous recitals. If so, then the idea that he learned them on the plane is just extreme exaggeration.

No matter how well he played them on the record, IMO if he really learned them on the plane he was unfair to his listeners.

Pletnev is, by the way, one of my favorite pianists.

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Good sight-reading is a bankable, marketable musical skill. If you are in the music biz, it is worth your while to hone it up...

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
He may have been able to learn the technical aspect of a piece incredibly quickly and perform it at a level that was very excellent, but I don't think anyone can play a musically challenging masterpiece at the highest level they're capable of after a short amount of time learning it. Surely no one can develop their final and best interpretation in a few hours.

I think they definitely can! When your technique is at that level it would take a very short amount of time to prepare it, and past knowledge and experience in music (and music of that specific style/composer) would help many pieces fall into place incredibly quickly. And such a deep musical intellect would help one create a fine, "mature" sounding interpretation.

Okay, maybe not "their final" or "their best" but most definitely professional, valid, and even "musically great" (I don't like terms like that, by the way). Final and best interpretations always change in the mind of a great artist; nobody will play a piece in a few years how they do today.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission