2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,965 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 261 of 540 1 2 259 260 261 262 263 539 540
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Exalted Wombat
Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH
On the basis "If you don't understand something, don't extend your understanding to cover it - get someone to dumb it down for you? OK. :-)

???

What was this referring to?

Translating Frere Jacques into English, particularly in a way that distorts and obscures the meaning.
And here I thought "Are You Sleeping" was just a simple, innocent children's song that our grade-school music teachers thought would be good to use to help us learn how to sing in a round. How dare they!
laugh

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FarmGirl

More papers on the piano. Orange marks show where my part is. Unlike 1 piano duet, for two piano duet, both parts shows up on the same page. I had been confusing the parts before I colored it in yellow.
It does look difficult to read. I understand that you want to see both parts, but it would maybe be nice if the other part was printed maybe in a gray color, so it would be easier to follow your part. Are you going to record this for us to hear?

Mary Bee
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by MaryBee
Originally Posted by FarmGirl

More papers on the piano. Orange marks show where my part is. Unlike 1 piano duet, for two piano duet, both parts shows up on the same page. I had been confusing the parts before I colored it in yellow.
It does look difficult to read. I understand that you want to see both parts, but it would maybe be nice if the other part was printed maybe in a gray color, so it would be easier to follow your part. Are you going to record this for us to hear?

My husband is going to record me at the SummerKey as long as Mr. Potterton does not object. He won't picture him anyway. If he says, no I will record myself with my teacher in my October recital.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
FarmGirl I was reading posts from my phone yesterday and didn't see the picture, I couldn't figure out what was being talked about! As soon as I saw the photo.....wow.... I would definitely have to highlight my part if I had a score like that.
I wonder why it is written that way? There must be a reason, but it eludes me at the moment.

If you play in an orchestra you don't get all the parts of all the instruments on your music (well, the conductor does, but that's different), why would you need it for a piano duet?

(p.s. - I tried googling this but so far the only thing I've learned is that 2 people + 1 piano = duet, it seems that 2 people,+ 2 pianos = duo ) Live and learn.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by casinitaly
FarmGirl I was reading posts from my phone yesterday and didn't see the picture, I couldn't figure out what was being talked about! As soon as I saw the photo.....wow.... I would definitely have to highlight my part if I had a score like that.
I wonder why it is written that way? There must be a reason, but it eludes me at the moment.

If you play in an orchestra you don't get all the parts of all the instruments on your music (well, the conductor does, but that's different), why would you need it for a piano duet?

(p.s. - I tried googling this but so far the only thing I've learned is that 2 people + 1 piano = duet, it seems that 2 people,+ 2 pianos = duo ) Live and learn.

My guess is that you need to see what other piano is doing. There are solo parts for each piano and I would miss when to come in if I just count it. Also it helps me get back on track when I get off. 1 piano 4 hands duet requires you to sit side by side, so it makes logical sense to print each part in each side of the score. But I really don't see a strong reason for it. Two piano scores come in a set of two for each piano. This must be a good question for Nicoras. I bet he knows.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
On the basis "If you don't understand something, don't extend your understanding to cover it - get someone to dumb it down for you? OK. :-)

???

Translating Frere Jacques into English, particularly in a way that distorts and obscures the meaning.
And here I thought "Are You Sleeping" was just a simple, innocent children's song that our grade-school music teachers thought would be good to use to help us learn how to sing in a round. How dare they!
laugh

It's no big deal. But why not leave it in French? It opens doors.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

???

When I grew up in England we learned the French version. Now, whether us completely mashing up French words is really any better than a dodgy translation I can't say!

I do remember speaking to some Scandinavians at University who said their cartoons were never dubbed or subtitled. Whatever language they were in, that's what you got. Good move, though now I realize why so many Norwegians say "eat my shorts" wink

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

But surely Fra Martino campanaro is a much nicer guy than that Frère Jacques wink

Besides, I'm a translator... I don't want English speakers to learn any other language, okay? smokin

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by sinophilia

But surely Fra Martino campanaro is a much nicer guy than that Frère Jacques wink

Which is the whole point! He's a lazy s.o.b. Is he a metaphor for a whole class of clerics? For something else? Learning horizons widen...

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sinophilia

Besides, I'm a translator... I don't want English speakers to learn any other language, okay? smokin

LOL!
At least in the US you're doing pretty well for the moment, anyway.

Learner
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yesterday I went to my husband workplace; in the canteen there is a nice grand and I wanted to try it. It's a Yamaha C3 (so I was told), and I had a wonderful quarter of hour with it before the children started to get bored and to make noise. Next time I plan to drop them at the swimming pool before going to play...
Last year there was an even better Bechstein in the same place, but it was a loan because the Yamaha was under repair. What a fantastic experience is playing a nice grand!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by torquenale
Next time I plan to drop them at the swimming pool before going to play...

Congrats...that is some experience. Personally, those children would be spending lots of time at the pool. smile

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
MaryBee -your teacher's performance sounds very interesting - and so do your theory and experimentation lessons! I suspect we'll hear some original work from you in the future! Which Debussy are you working on?
The entire concert was interesting -- all works from modern composers, played in an intimate setting. As for my improvisation, I don't know if that will go anywhere, but it's fun to play with it. The Debussy is "Sarabande" from the set "Pour Le Piano". You can listen to a version here . My teacher suggested that I check out this piece, thinking that I might like to learn it. I actually didn't like it when I listened to it the first time. But then I printed out the music and sat down and played it, and I became entranced. Now the more I play it, the more I'm getting to love it; it is so rich and textured. (This seems to be a common problem with me and Debussy. I don't like listening to much of his music, but it is so interesting and beautiful to play!)

Mary Bee

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Torquenale: that sounds like fun! Much more fun than your dp eh?
Good idea to drop off the kids at the pool first next time.

Marybee, I'm listening to the Sarabande as I type - what an interesting piece. I am hearing some similarities to the Grieg piece I am learning. I notice that this piece is over 5 minutes- you are doing so well with focus!

My Grieg piece is the longest I've tried so far. I believe that it will end up being about 3 - 3.5 minutes. That's double most of my pieces. smile

My AOTW is to have realized exactly how much I have to slow down to get things right in 2 pieces, and to have made good use of my metronome and my recordings.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

S
S
my aotw is finally getting some good practice in. i'm starting to really get better at practicing! also getting rid of silly little things i always do like they are rules when really, they aren't!! i just need to open my hand and find the obvious fingering instead of making it so gosh darn hard on myself like its a mystical puzzle, hint, its not! haha

i can't wait to hear these recital pieces you all submit!

"Doesn't practicing on the piano suck?!?!"
"The joy is in the practicing. It's like relationships. Yeah, orgasms are awesome, but you can't make love to someone who you have no relationship with!"
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
MaryBee -your teacher's performance sounds very interesting - and so do your theory and experimentation lessons! I suspect we'll hear some original work from you in the future! Which Debussy are you working on?
The entire concert was interesting -- all works from modern composers, played in an intimate setting. As for my improvisation, I don't know if that will go anywhere, but it's fun to play with it. The Debussy is "Sarabande" from the set "Pour Le Piano". You can listen to a version here . My teacher suggested that I check out this piece, thinking that I might like to learn it. I actually didn't like it when I listened to it the first time. But then I printed out the music and sat down and played it, and I became entranced. Now the more I play it, the more I'm getting to love it; it is so rich and textured. (This seems to be a common problem with me and Debussy. I don't like listening to much of his music, but it is so interesting and beautiful to play!)

I like your Debussy piece. It sounds deep, beautiful and complex. It will require a well developed musicianship. I think it's a perfect fit for you. It will be a while before I can try good stuff like this. I will have to take a few bscksteps now. The experience of working on Mozart piece convinced me that I would need to build more solid technique. I restart scales regiment along with classical period pieces. I don't like classical period works as much as other periods.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
MaryBee - I'm listening to Debussy Sarabande and think it is just a marvelous piece....words like rich and sonorous with many colors come to mind. Would love to hear how it sounds on my piano.

Sweet06 - Good for you refining your practice strategies. You are right, it isn't magic and doing what feels easy and natural is often the right approach (although not always).

My AOTW is finally getting over myself and going ahead with a submission to the quarterly recital. It is the same Scriabin recording I put in the piano bar....thanks to those of you who encouraged me to go ahead and submit it to the recital. Also, at my lesson yesterday I was able to play one of my best performances of the MacDowell piece. My teacher says she no longer needs to hear it, but I will keep working it...maybe a future submission. Oh, and I have a new piece to work on....the beautiful aria O Mio Babbino Caro, from Puccini's opera Gianni Schicchi. It is one of the easier arrangements but features one of my weakest points...continuous legato arpeggios thoughout in the left hand...so will likely provide plenty of challenge.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
R

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
This is more like a AOTD. Yes, excited....
The Rally motivated lyrics for me....

Tattooed Heifer

Just lost my job
No bank account
Life couldn't be better
Got my Tattooed Heifer!

Rolling Along
Singin' a Song
Can't be happier
With my Tattooed Heifer!

Life is alright
Rally's in sight
All excited
With my Tattooed Heifer!

Poor guy's to blame
His life will remain
Forever a bore
Without a Tattooed Heifer!

Last edited by rnaple; 08/07/13 04:30 PM.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Here in NH for our Motorcycle Week in Loudon there seems to be at least one fatality each year. I'm sure the lack of a helmet law here is a contributing factor... drives me crazy.

Look on the bright side! "Organ donors on wheels" the casualty doctors call them. We need a supply of young, fit spare parts.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Here in NH for our Motorcycle Week in Loudon there seems to be at least one fatality each year. I'm sure the lack of a helmet law here is a contributing factor... drives me crazy.

Look on the bright side! "Organ donors on wheels" the casualty doctors call them. We need a supply of young, fit spare parts.

Ha! However, the vast majority are neither young nor fit. smile

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
Page 261 of 540 1 2 259 260 261 262 263 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission