2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 2,045 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
eccp19 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Do any teachers here have this form of payment set up with their students? I would like to be able to offer this to my families but don't know how to go about doing it. Do you simply need their account number?

Thanks.

Last edited by eccp19; 07/10/13 06:57 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-an-automatic-funds-transfer.htm

The payor generally sets it up and needs the payee's banking information to do so.

Learner

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
You can also do it via PayPal, though I have no idea how one sets it up on the receiving end. For example, I give PianoWorld $5 a month via PayPal. (you can too!)

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I have students who pay by Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT)
If both parties use Internet banking, it simple to set up.
You just need to provide your students with your bank account details, and they make the transfer.

I would avoid PayPal, if possible, although I do accept it in certain circumstances.
For example, for every $100 Australian, that I receive, I incur a PayPal fee of $2.70. (2.4% plus a fixed fee per transaction, of 30 cents)
I either have to absorb that fee, or pass it on to the student.

Rob
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Most of my students pay this way now which is great for me as I spend less time going into town to pay cheques in to my account.

You just give them your bank details and they can pay using Internet banking. In the UK we have a sort code which I think identifies the bank and then an account number. That's all I need to provide. When they pay it shows up on my statement which I can view online at any time and tells me exactly where the money has come from.

It's the way forward IMO.

Pianist and piano teacher.
B
B
I have a few who pay me like this - the only problem is I find it harder to keep track of who has paid compared to cheque payments, as I pay those into my bank in batches. Bank transfers I tend to forget about. Also, just because someone says they have paid it in, doesnt always mean it has gone through - recently, I realised a payment hadn't shown up from one of my students, and it turned out their bank had "suspended" it for no apparent reason.

B
B
Most of my students pay this way. It's my preferred method of payment. In Australia the payee needs my BSB (branch) number and account number and then they can easily transfer the money with their Internet banking, using the students full name as the reference. I like that it provides proof of who has paid and when, unlike cash or a cheque.

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Someone will correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think that in Canada or the US for one to set up electronic banking possibilities, a teacher would have first have to have a business account. Many of us avoid those accounts, because we're cheap and hate the extra fees.

Similarly, one would need a business account to accept credit card or debit card payments also.

PayPal is, however, is a viable way to go for the piano teacher who wishes to avoid dealing with paper cheques.

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
Someone will correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think that in Canada or the US for one to set up electronic banking possibilities, a teacher would have first have to have a business account.

Must resist.......nope can't do it.......points out you ARE running a business.

gotta go practice
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Thanks for the reminder, Tim.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I have a separate account for my piano teaching income, but I have not labeled it a business account with my credit union. It's simply a separate personal account which I use only for my business transactions.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I guess I'm a bit confused how this works.

I pay my gas bill monthly through automatic draft to the gas company. They didn't provide their account number to ME, I provided mine to them.

Is it safe to provide my number to someone else who is paying ME?

~Stanny~

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA
R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
That is a slightly different kind of arrangement, Stanny.

you provided the Gas company your details, along with an authorisation to your bank, to automatically pay the Gas company a fixed monthly amount.

Electronic funds Transfer works by giving the client your Bank, Branch and Account number, so that they can transfer funds into your account.
They can transfer a one off payment, or set up an automatic recurring transfer for whatever time period they wish.

It is perfectly safe, and in fact, those very details, are probably printed on every cheque you write.

Rob
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
From what I've noticed here, it seems that automatic bank drafts are quite common in countries OTHER than in the US.

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Very common in Australia. Increasingly the singers and instrumentalists I accompany choose to pay by direct transfer. And you don't have to go to the bank to deposit the cheque!

Du holde Kunst...
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I don't go to a bank to cash checks anyway...I take a photo with my iphone with my bank's app! But still, the automatic draft would be so easy to do for my clients.

~Stanny~

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dumdumdiddle
From what I've noticed here, it seems that automatic bank drafts are quite common in countries OTHER than in the US.

A client who emigrated from Germany told me that she has seen cheques in museums and didn't know they were still used anywhere. I asked after the third European needed instructions on how to fill one out. They all seem to be more at home with electronic transfers.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission