Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2116748 - 07/12/13 08:01 PM Re: when is enough enough [Re: TrapperJohn]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: TrapperJohn
Originally Posted By: Peyton

I don't read it as trying to be "perfect". I see it as always wanting to make it better (not "perfect"). For me that is what keeps the music alive. You don't have to be a famous touring concert pianist to keep trying to improve a piece.

How much better? When does "diminishing returns" kick in? That is, with each new effort when does the difference not make a difference; when is better not hardly recognizable as better?

And when does one just plain get sick and tired of playing the same piece over and over and over... laugh

I think that you absolutely do get sick and tired of playing the same piece over and over. But then, you remind yourself that it is necessary if you wish to be able to play something very well and not just ok. It just plain requires repetition and plenty of it.

Now, you can stop playing something for awhile and then come back to it in 2 or 3 months and then hit it hard again for a week or so. There are any number of ways to get the reps in ... but you do need the reps.

My current system: Kawai ES7 + Focal CMS40 Powered Monitors, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Mackie ProFX8 Mixer, Ravenscroft275, True Keys American Grand, Ivory II American Concert D, Steinway Basic, Galaxy Vintage D, True Pianos, Pianoteq, Alicia's Keys

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2116784 - 07/12/13 10:32 PM Re: when is enough enough [Re: dmd]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Originally Posted By: dmd

Now, you can stop playing something for awhile and then come back to it in 2 or 3 months and then hit it hard again for a week or so. There are any number of ways to get the reps in ... but you do need the reps.

I know this works - I've used this "technique" several times with favorite pieces I really loved - work on it until its "finished" - set it aside to rest for awhile - then hammer it again with even more determination and intensity - it's invariably better with the 2nd and 3rd efforts - sort of like a romance with a spirited, haughty and independent woman! smile

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#2117920 - 07/15/13 07:55 AM Re: when is enough enough [Re: TrapperJohn]
Peyton Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine

I don't read it as trying to be "perfect". I see it as always wanting to make it better (not "perfect"). For me that is what keeps the music alive. You don't have to be a famous touring concert pianist to keep trying to improve a piece.

How much better? When does "diminishing returns" kick in? That is, with each new effort when does the difference not make a difference; when is better not hardly recognizable as better?

And when does one just plain get sick and tired of playing the same piece over and over and over... laugh

That's what I'm trying to say... if it's a beautiful piece (take any Chopin prelude for example)... I never ever get tired of playing it over and over. I think part of the reason is because I'm constantly thinking..."I can make this better." For me that just makes playing even more enjoyable... knowing that "I'm not there yet" and that I can still improve. You ask "When is better not hardly recognizable as better?" and I don't know the answer because I've never reached that point. Maybe, if anyone else was listening, they would not hear the difference, but I do.

#2117930 - 07/15/13 08:32 AM Re: when is enough enough [Re: Sand Tiger]
iceporky Offline

Loc: Singapore
Originally Posted By: Sand Tiger
Some seem much more interested in maximizing their abilities. For me, if I have twice as much fun and get half as far, so to speak, I'm willing to make that trade off.

Where is the Like button?

#2117951 - 07/15/13 10:27 AM Re: when is enough enough [Re: Peyton]
outo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Finland
People are different...I am a perfectionist and always will be. That is probably the reason why I got so sucked into learning piano... Finally something that I won't get bored at because things become easy or "done".

There are pieces that are not worth perfecting, but many are and I don't think I will ever get permanently tired of them. They may never be perfect enough in my own ears, but I will leave them for a while when I see no improvement and come back later when I have evolved enough to make them even better. I can easily understand why some real pianists feel they have never finished a piece they have been playing for years.

I think I enjoy solving problems more than just playing things.
At least for now performing is not interesting to me. I just want to uncover all the secrets to the perfect sound and technique smile

#2118056 - 07/15/13 02:28 PM Re: when is enough enough [Re: Peyton]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

That's what I'm trying to say... if it's a beautiful piece (take any Chopin prelude for example)... I never ever get tired of playing it over and over. I think part of the reason is because I'm constantly thinking..."I can make this better." For me that just makes playing even more enjoyable... knowing that "I'm not there yet" and that I can still improve. You ask "When is better not hardly recognizable as better?" and I don't know the answer because I've never reached that point. Maybe, if anyone else was listening, they would not hear the difference, but I do.

OK - fair enough - but then if you got to the point with a piece where it was near perfection to most listeners, and they no longer could say it had gotten better; and more, if after a series of attempts you couldn't hear any difference or tell that the latest version was better - would you know or recognize or acknowledge that point?

#2118080 - 07/15/13 03:32 PM Re: when is enough enough [Re: TrapperJohn]
Peyton Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

OK - fair enough - but then if you got to the point with a piece where it was near perfection to most listeners, and they no longer could say it had gotten better; and more, if after a series of attempts you couldn't hear any difference or tell that the latest version was better - would you know or recognize or acknowledge that point?

To tell you the truth, I don't think I put that much importance on what "listeners" think (unless of course you are talking a master pianist/instructor). I love it when people say "that was beautiful" and, although I certainly appreciate praise and want people to like what I play I still know it was no where near what I really wanted it to sound like. And John, I don't think I think of pieces that I'm working on (and I have been working on some for over 15 years now) as "versions". To me that sounds too cut and dried like "Here is this way and now here is this way". There are so many possibilities and so many nuances that I never think of them as separate versions. I don't think I'm expressing my self very well here but I think in a nutshell, if that's possible, what I'm trying to say is that I feel that a piece of music is kept alive by the musician always trying to make it "better"...not "perfect".( Who is to say what is "perfect"?) The most boring artists and musicians are the one's that have found a formula that works and just keep doing the same thing over and over.

Edited by Peyton (07/15/13 04:19 PM)

#2118194 - 07/15/13 08:17 PM Re: when is enough enough [Re: adultpianist]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Peyton - very well done! I've pressed you pretty hard on this, and...

You've taken every question and objection that I raised and blown them aside like so much dust in the wind...

I stand enlightened and somewhat humbled.

Looking forward to hearing/seeing your latest "unfinished" gem in the Aug. ABF Recital!

#2118267 - 07/15/13 10:23 PM Re: when is enough enough [Re: TrapperJohn]
Peyton Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Peyton - very well done! I've pressed you pretty hard on this, and...

You've taken every question and objection that I raised and blown them aside like so much dust in the wind...

I stand enlightened and somewhat humbled.

Looking forward to hearing/seeing your latest "unfinished" gem in the Aug. ABF Recital!

You have come up with some very good and interesting points as well. It's a very enlightening discussion with no obvious answer but one I love to ponder.

Another thought I was having about "finishing a piece"... Just as a painter has to at some point say the painting is "done", sign it and frame it, so a composer must do the same. I wonder if Chopin always played his published pieces in a similar fashion while performing? I'm guessing he was always changing here and there but I would love to know.

Edited by Peyton (07/15/13 10:24 PM)

#2118410 - 07/16/13 06:33 AM Re: when is enough enough [Re: Peyton]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Another thought I was having about "finishing a piece"... Just as a painter has to at some point say the painting is "done", sign it and frame it, so a composer must do the same. I wonder if Chopin always played his published pieces in a similar fashion while performing? I'm guessing he was always changing here and there but I would love to know.

I don't know for sure since - contrary to popular public opinion - I wasn't actually around when he was performing (I'm old, but not that old laugh ) I'm guessing that what you're guessing is in fact the case. Any good biography would probably shed much light on this.

From my own reading I've learned that it was a rare exception when any of the major Classical or Romantic composers ever performed any of their own works "as written" - improvisation and variations were the norm...this went to their highly prized reputation for "spontaneous creativity"...

#2118515 - 07/16/13 12:08 PM Re: when is enough enough [Re: adultpianist]
Ataru074 Online   content

Loc: Houston, TX
Enough is when you are not yet comfortable to move to the next piece. I don't believe you can reach the "perfection" of the piece you are studying now, without moving on to the next "level". I believe you can perfect the "now" piece in few years, when your general technique will be more mature.
Mozart: Kv397
Beethoven: Op 14 #2
Prokofiev: Op.10
Bartok: Notturno
===============================================

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
170 registered (accordeur, airdis, Alex-SapRenovation, 49 invisible), 1867 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75579 Members
42 Forums
156266 Topics
2294895 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sheet Music Retainers
by MargaretUK
07/29/14 05:20 PM
piano contest
by wkurashima
07/29/14 04:47 PM
piano contest Clavinova
by wkurashima
07/29/14 04:39 PM
Proper chunking method
by Edtek
07/29/14 03:10 PM
Lamp for Piano
by DancerJ
07/29/14 03:08 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission