Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2115872 - 07/10/13 10:24 PM learning to play by ear
exquisitemelody24 Offline

So I've just recently gotten back into piano (I took lessons for several years), and I'd really like to learn how to play by ear, but I don't know where to start. I was a horrible piano student and never paid any attention to my theory homework, so I probably need to start with the basics (like...chords...I can play them if I read the notes, but I don't actually know names and stuff).

Is it possible to learn how to play by ear or is it just natural talent? I'd appreciate any guidance! Like books or youtube vids or methods I could look up. I have heard of the chord method, but I don't know much about it.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2115876 - 07/10/13 10:32 PM Re: learning to play by ear [Re: exquisitemelody24]
jazzyprof Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
You'll probably get better answers to this question if you post it in the Pianist Corner-Non Classical.

#2115880 - 07/10/13 10:40 PM Re: learning to play by ear [Re: exquisitemelody24]
Sand Tiger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Yes, most folks can learn to play by ear. Yes, some have a natural aptitude for it, some will take more time than others. The more a person practices and drills the better they will get.

I use an Android app on my tablet (the name escapes for the moment) for ear training. There are four levels:
* higher or lower, listen to two notes and decide
* identify the note being sounded by pressing the matching key on the screen piano keyboard
* intervals, listen to two notes and discern the distance between the two notes
* chord identification, chord is sounded, identify the chord by name

Some folks like to sound out simple melodies for songs they know on the piano. Sometimes looking up the key that the song is in, is a big helpful hint if a person can not find the first note. Some move on to identifying the bass notes and the chords, and transcribing recordings. However, I would not suggest those exercises for a beginner. Matching a melody is plenty to start with.

#2115883 - 07/10/13 11:00 PM Re: learning to play by ear [Re: exquisitemelody24]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
There are different levels of talent.

#2115902 - 07/10/13 11:51 PM Re: learning to play by ear [Re: JoelW]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: JoelW

Or, of course, there's no such thing. grin

#2115908 - 07/11/13 12:40 AM Re: learning to play by ear [Re: Derulux]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: Derulux
Originally Posted By: JoelW

Or, of course, there's no such thing. grin

Oh god no! Please not this again! whome

#2115930 - 07/11/13 02:03 AM Re: learning to play by ear [Re: exquisitemelody24]
Roland The Beagle Offline

Loc: California
What exactly do you mean by "play by ear"? Do you mean to be able to sit and play something that's in your mind? Do you mean being able to improvise on the piano? Do you mean acquiring perfect pitch abilities?

I guess I'll elaborate a bit on answers to these questions from my experience (which is not that expansive).

Being able to sit and play something that is in your mind requires a combination of talents and skills, and is really not something that anybody can do naturally. You need to be able to clearly hear music in your head both melodically and harmonically, and you need a degree of control of your instrument to execute it in real time. For anything that is at all complicated, this is not very practical.

Instead, there is the more familiar territory of improvisation, where you have a 'system' you work with and raw materials, and then use knowledge of harmonies, scales, and intuition to build something spontaneous. Improvisers are not really constantly playing what is in their head (necessarily), but rather are going back and forth between relying on a memory bank of patterns and ideas already learned, using knowledge of music theory and harmony to know what will work, and just letting go and playing whatever comes naturally. This means by rote or muscle memory - once you've got a musical idea in mind, let those fingers rip and something spontaneous will come out. But really, it's not true spontaneity - it's a controlled form of spontaneity that is possible by creating a system to work within and constantly expanding on that system as you grow as a musician. A good metaphor is 'bag of tricks'.

Improvisation is something anyone can learn, but it takes mastery of your instrument, knowledge of music theory on paper, knowledge of music theory in practice and hearing (ear training), and lots of practice, trial and error, and experience.

For the final question, in my experience it is possible to acquire absolute pitch without having had it. I did just this with my own method and now I can identify tones with extreme confidence. It's not 'perfect' yet. I've only been working on it two semesters. To give you an idea though, I can identify a new tone every 3 to 5 seconds, identify the key of a piece of music, sometimes pick out the harmony of a particular musical section I am hearing, and vocalize any pitch on cue. My only problem right now is I seem to have a slight weakness in the tone cluster of Eb, E, and F, but I could do absolutely nothing at all prior to two semesters ago and every problem has been resolved so far with practice so I am sure with some more work I will be up in the 99% confidence range. Finally there are extreme registers (very low and high notes) but as I understand, even individuals with classic 'perfect pitch' make mistakes on these notes.

Edited by Roland The Beagle (07/11/13 02:16 AM)
Prelude, Op. 11 No. 4 in E Minor, Alexander Scriabin
Prelude and Fugue in G Major, Well-Tempered Clavier Vol. 2, Johann Sebastian Bach

#2115969 - 07/11/13 05:10 AM Re: learning to play by ear [Re: exquisitemelody24]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
Start by listening to the radio and try to play along.

Take a tune that you really like and transcribe to paper. The more you do this the easier it gets.

This isn't rocket science. I bet if you stop and think about this you can come up with your own approach.

It also helps to play with other musicians.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2116014 - 07/11/13 07:47 AM Re: learning to play by ear [Re: exquisitemelody24]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Start with the basics, picking out tunes you know on the piano - just the tune. Anyone can pick out 'Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star' and 'Happy Birthday' on the piano. (If you can't, you've got problems proceeding.....).

Then add the harmony, which, in pop songs, easy listening, hymn tunes etc is almost always based on just four chords: I, IV, V, VI. Play them in C major and get a good idea of how they sound. V-I sounds very final; IV-I too, but more 'religious-sounding' (like 'Amen'). Those are perfect and plagal cadences respectively. V-VI (interrupted cadence) sounds like you want to go somewhere else; IV-V-I (or II-V-I) will sound like many conclusions you know. Try harmonizing the above tunes with just these chords.

Once you get the hang of these, you can already play by ear lots of stuff. And you can usually tell what the harmony is just by listening to the tune (- I've vamped on the piano to accompany friends in pop songs, without ever having heard the songs before, as long as they sing or hum the tune for me first).

#2116069 - 07/11/13 10:28 AM Re: learning to play by ear [Re: exquisitemelody24]
exquisitemelody24 Offline

Thanks for all the replies! I guess my first steps will be to sit down and learn some theory...get to actually know my chords.

I'd like to learn to play by ear so I can take popular songs or church songs and try to play them without sheet music.

#2116081 - 07/11/13 11:13 AM Re: learning to play by ear [Re: exquisitemelody24]
rada Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: pagosa springs,co
If you can sing a section of a song find the keys that match your voice. Learn a basic chord progression like 'heart and soul'.....everybody that doesn't know anything about the piano can usually play that song.

If you left hand plays a c chord[ c-e-g] there's a high probability that your right hand will be playing one of those notes for the melody.

Everyone can learn.

rada

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
has anyone tried the Focal alpha 50s or 65s for monitoring?
by dire tonic
09/30/14 11:54 AM
2015 Concerto Competition "Theodor Leschetizky" NY
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:49 AM
Valletta International Piano Competition, Velletta, Malta
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:45 AM
Cleveland International Piano Competition
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:42 AM
International Junior Piano Competition & Festival
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:35 AM
Who's Online
139 registered (ajames, accordeur, anotherscott, 36251, analarana, 36 invisible), 1556 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76376 Members
42 Forums
157889 Topics
2318816 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission