Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2156152 - 09/23/13 12:29 PM Re: learning how to play by ear [Re: Brian K.]
Michael Martinez Offline

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Brian K.
Very cool vids! Thanks for posting these. If you decide to make another video do you think that you could make one explaining how to relate keys together, using borrowed chords and whatnot. Maybe even throw in some examples of some non diatonic progressions or key changes. Thanks again!

already hankering to get out of a single key, aren't you? Good. ... yes I'll do this ....

Piano & Music Accessories
#2156451 - 09/23/13 09:13 PM Re: learning how to play by ear [Re: exquisitemelody24]
Brian K. Offline

Well ya...it's funny I've played guitar for years, and I know all about scales and chord construction and what not, but when it comes to smooth key changes and and when to use borrowed chords, I'm a bit of a mess. I know that you can use a 2-5-1 to change keys, but aside from that I'm kinda clueless. For instance, I was messing around with Layla the other day and I noticed that the intro is in D minor, then the verse is in C#m...which is a half step down. Weird, but it sounds so perfect with the A - C - C# movement. Then the A7 chord brings it oh so nicely back to D minor again. When I try to compose key changes I can't seem to get them to sound so smooth like that!
My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race" and make a living from your passions. I now play guitar for a living at night and learn piano during the day!

http://www.musicianlifestyle.com

#2156644 - 09/24/13 04:34 AM Re: learning how to play by ear [Re: exquisitemelody24]
cmajornine Offline

Just to add to the debate

I would say it depends on the type of music you want to play by ear. I personally play by ear because I am a church musician and I need to learn songs fast In time for Sunday.

I use the number system as its suited to playing in this style.
A lot of the songs we play use similar chord patterns with a different melody sung on top. When I learn songs for church I only practice the chord patterns & harmonic structure & leave the melody for the singers or choir.

A lot of the progressions cross over into R&B and Jazz so they can be used for playing the harmonic structure for a lot of those songs too.

In my opinion one of the best exponents of this style is Jamal Hartwell whose excellent Set of DVD's "Play by Ear" 1 & 2 will teach you the chords & Patterns & his "No More Transpose download" will give you the chords & patterns in every key.

But I would only recommend using the system to supplement what you already know, and not as a replacement. Not every song fits neatly into the patterns or progressions so knowing other ways of learning songs is just as important.

cmajornine

http://www.cmajornine.webspace.virginmedia.com/

#2156833 - 09/24/13 12:46 PM Re: learning how to play by ear [Re: Brian K.]
Michael Martinez Offline

funny you talking about A7 -> Dminor. I was planning to discuss secondary dominants in the next video.

#2160488 - 10/01/13 01:36 PM Re: learning how to play by ear [Re: exquisitemelody24]
Michael Martinez Offline

Post 2160461: Creating bass lines in B minor by ear:

B minor bass lines

#2218908 - 01/22/14 03:47 PM Re: learning how to play by ear [Re: exquisitemelody24]
Michael Martinez Offline

Playing by ear is a matter of being taught the structure of music and being shown how, within this structure, there are many choices available to you. To learn how to do this, you must refuse being shown "exactly what to play" and instead you are shown the general framework and it is up to you how to put the building blocks together.

To learn to play by ear, you have to get away from all forms of written music. This is crucial. You must be able to it down with nothing but you and the piano keys.

For example, you are taught a C major pentatonic scale. How you play these five notes, how you phrase them and create riffs, is up to you.

For example, you are taught a I IV V chord progression. You play these enough to where your ear is familiar with the sound of each chord in relation to the other. Later on, your ear allows you to apply this instinctively when appropriate.

#2219210 - 01/23/14 12:51 AM Re: learning how to play by ear [Re: exquisitemelody24]
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

"Learning music by ear is done by repeatedly listening to other musicians and then attempting to recreate what one hears. This is how people learn music in any musical tradition in which there is no complete musical notation. Many people in cultures which have notation still learn by ear and ear training, often through a musicianship course at a music conservatory or college, is common practice among those who use notation extensively.

Audiation involves hearing sounds mentally, although on a different level than just "hearing a song in one's head". In addition to mentally hearing rhythms and pitches the skill of reproducing those sounds involves melody, harmony (chords) and bass line.

In the West, learning by ear is associated with folk music, and pop styles including blues, rock, and sometimes jazz. But many classical music forms throughout the world lack notation, and have therefore been passed from generation to generation by ear.

The Suzuki method of teaching music has a highly developed focus on playing by ear from a very young age. In his book "Teaching from the Balance Point," Edward Kreitman, a US-based Suzuki teacher, clearly distinguishes "learning by ear" as a separate, completely different process from "learning by rote"

#2219428 - 01/23/14 11:53 AM Re: learning how to play by ear [Re: exquisitemelody24]
JamesPlaysPiano Offline

I definitely believe that playing by ear can be taught, and that much of what holds people back is simply a lack of instruction on what to do.

On that note, and since the OP asked about free resources that delved into theory and playing by ear, I thought I'd mention that you might want to check out my podcast, "The Better Piano Podcast." The tagline for the show is "the podcast all about helping you to be a better piano player, especially in the areas of improvisation, composition, and playing by ear."

You can find it here:

http://www.betterpiano.com/archives/category/podcast
or here (US page):
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/betterpiano.com/id570184527

There's currently some 13+ hours of free material there so far, covering a variety of levels and genres.

Best of luck in your quest! smile

James

#2219468 - 01/23/14 01:07 PM Re: learning how to play by ear [Re: exquisitemelody24]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
I find that getting very familiar with the Circle of Fifths is one of the best ways to learn to play by ear because it gives you a sense of typical chord movement and patterns/progressions that you can get to know and then play by heart. (BEAD-GCF)

Circle of Fifths:
http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/moneychords/circle.html
http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/moneychords/circleprogressions.html

"The Circle of Fifths [above] shows the most logical, natural movement of one chord to another in Western music".

Thousands of songs follow some form of the Circle of Fifths.

Edited by Elssa (01/24/14 01:34 AM)

#2219526 - 01/23/14 03:15 PM Re: learning how to play by ear [Re: Elssa]
daviel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Waxahachie, Texas
A good way to get familiar with the circle of 5ths/4ths is to practice scales according to the circle.

David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas

#2220331 - 01/25/14 12:46 AM Re: learning how to play by ear [Re: daviel]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
I guess that'd be good to do if you're not too familiar with scales. I just think it's more fun to practice the Circle with songs, like All The Things You Are, etc. Fly Me to the Moon is another good one. smile

Edited by Elssa (01/25/14 12:56 AM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway Austria Benjamin BE-117
by bmc100
Today at 03:59 AM
Trinity ATCL exam questions
by slava_richter
Yesterday at 09:54 PM
JBL LSR305 monitors too noisy for DP usage?
by Emiliano
Yesterday at 09:52 PM
Pletnev - Poise under duress
by vers la flan
Yesterday at 07:34 PM
Chopin Op 10 No 6
by Cheeto717
Yesterday at 07:08 PM
Who's Online
42 registered (Andy001, 36251, Beemer, Calvin Lee, casinitaly, 4 invisible), 868 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76253 Members
42 Forums
157637 Topics
2315441 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission