Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2116026 - 07/11/13 08:21 AM a question on manufacturer date discrepancy
Oliver Wang Offline

hi all

I am looking at a "new" Kawai RX-2, with serial # 264xxxx. According to Kawai web site, 2012 should carry 2639000, which suggests this piano is made sometime in 2012 or later. However, underneath the piano, there is a sticker with print of "Made in Japan, 12/2011", is this normal or something to be concerned about? On top of that, the piano seems to be on the floor for quite a while, but still "new" ... I am a total newbie on this, and not sure how to interpret this. Any help/information would be appreciated.

Best,

Oliver

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2116036 - 07/11/13 08:47 AM Re: a question on manufacturer date discrepancy [Re: Oliver Wang]
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Hello Oliver,

It is rare that a manufacturer puts a label on their piano like that. Interesting.

There are a couple things to consider. Not every manufacturer assigns the serial number at the same time and not every manufacturer considers a piano "complete" at the same time.

Is it considered done when the assembly is complete? Is it considered done when the final regulation and tunings are performed before the piano is crated? Is it considered done when it is crated? These points may have a few weeks or more between them. In most situations it would not make a difference, but if it was assembled on 12/28/11 this might be a little confusing.

I don't think there is anything to worry about.
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#2116047 - 07/11/13 09:17 AM Re: a question on manufacturer date discrepancy [Re: Oliver Wang]
Carbonblob Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, Ca.
Hi Oliver,

As you can see below, I just purchased a new RX3 Blak. Hanging on the side of my piano (and strung around the lid stay) were 2 packets. One had the warranty and reg cards, the other had the info and inspection card filled out by the tech who actually worked on the piano at the factory! Kind of cool.

Anyway, there's the tech card with serial #, his signature, name, piano info and date on it. You could always call Kawai too, they'll tell you in a second.....blob

Oh.........where do you live? seems like a lot of dealers are cleaning out warehouses and consolidating/closing branches or stores. Clean outs usually bring older stock that's been sitting for one reason or another to the floor. Might not mean anything either, pianos ain't cheap! your area may take a while to move new pianos and that's why it sat.

#2116074 - 07/11/13 10:51 AM Re: a question on manufacturer date discrepancy [Re: Oliver Wang]
terminaldegree Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
Sometimes individual parts of the piano (which were manufactured earlier) are stamped with a date that may not match up with the "official" year of completion. I think the Renner action on my Schimmel upright is dated a 6 months earlier than the completion of the piano.

Either way, this is a total non-issue in the case of your piano. Focus more on how it sounds, plays, and looks.
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

#2116076 - 07/11/13 10:56 AM Re: a question on manufacturer date discrepancy [Re: Oliver Wang]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: SoCal
Yes, a non-issue. A local Steinway dealer has a 2002 Model M in dark cherry that is new. Been on the floor for 11 years, and they are selling it for the 2002 price, so it's a good deal. Plays and sounds very nice. People must not like the veneer.

#2116087 - 07/11/13 11:27 AM Re: a question on manufacturer date discrepancy [Re: Rich Galassini]
M.O.P. Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ocala, Florida
Originally Posted By: Rich Galassini
Hello Oliver,

It is rare that a manufacturer puts a label on their piano like that. Interesting.

There are a couple things to consider. Not every manufacturer assigns the serial number at the same time and not every manufacturer considers a piano "complete" at the same time.

Is it considered done when the assembly is complete? Is it considered done when the final regulation and tunings are performed before the piano is crated? Is it considered done when it is crated? These points may have a few weeks or more between them. In most situations it would not make a difference, but if it was assembled on 12/28/11 this might be a little confusing.

I don't think there is anything to worry about.

Kawai does put a label on their new pianos with the month/year and country of manufacture. Locations for the verticals is on the upper center back; location on the grands is underneath on the treble side at the back of the keybed.

I agree, it's most likely nothing to be concerned about.

www.FortePianoGallery.com
Forte' Blog - Technical Tuesdays
Forte' on Facebook

"The piano was God's gift to music." Lou Mason

#2116094 - 07/11/13 11:41 AM Re: a question on manufacturer date discrepancy [Re: Oliver Wang]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
From the Kawai website: Serial numbers for different models are not always sequential, so actual date could vary.

#2116506 - 07/12/13 07:44 AM Re: a question on manufacturer date discrepancy [Re: Oliver Wang]
Oliver Wang Offline

Thanks for all the helpful information, really really appreciated it.

Dealer offerred a $16,300 all included (tax,delivery, tuning). I don't play piano at all, buying for aspiring wife and kids, both are beginners, so we are not in a position to judge the quality of the sound professionally, this might be an overkill. From what I gather from this forum, this is a very good price, so I think I will "indulge" them and myself once ... :-)

Best,

Oliver

#2116509 - 07/12/13 07:56 AM Re: a question on manufacturer date discrepancy [Re: M.O.P.]
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Originally Posted By: M.O.P.

Kawai does put a label on their new pianos with the month/year and country of manufacture.

Thanks Nancy.

I was not aware they did this.
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#2116536 - 07/12/13 09:18 AM Re: a question on manufacturer date discrepancy [Re: Oliver Wang]
Carbonblob Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, Ca.
Oliver,

others mentioned this in many posts about the RX2, it's a superb instrument. You may never need another piano, it's that good.....blob.

ps......put the rx2 in the search box and you'll be amazed on the amount of info on this piano. Lot's of great recordings by memebers too....see lyricamudra (sp) and many others.

#2116537 - 07/12/13 09:25 AM Re: a question on manufacturer date discrepancy [Re: Oliver Wang]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Enjoy your indulgence! Your wife and kids certainly will.

You have made a good choice and you can't complain about that price, either!

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
71 registered (aesop, AndrewJCW, 17 invisible), 1123 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75908 Members
42 Forums
156882 Topics
2305124 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What kind of fingering should I be using for these phrases?
by Jormungandr
08/23/14 03:04 AM
Mason & Hamlin BB Long distance purchase a few questions
by bigun
08/23/14 02:26 AM
MY NEW PIANO
by Jvmvidela
08/23/14 02:14 AM
Here's a Paranoid Question:
by Paul678
08/23/14 01:19 AM
Are you must always make A4= 440?
by Maximillyan
08/23/14 12:55 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission