Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2116230 - 07/11/13 05:30 PM Imagination?
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
Have you ever encountered a child inexperienced with using their imagination?

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2116241 - 07/11/13 06:04 PM Re: Imagination? [Re: Minniemay]
MaggieGirl Offline

Not really. I have found children who could not entertain themselves or direct their own play. They are very difficult children to work with... But even they could pretend to feed a doll or build a fort out of sheets and pillows or become a superhero in a costume.

#2116253 - 07/11/13 06:24 PM Re: Imagination? [Re: Minniemay]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
When I was classroom teaching (in a somewhat disadvantaged area) I certainly came across many children whose imagination seemed to depend totally on the TV shows of the moment. Maybe that wasn't all that different to mine as a child, which drew heavily on all the books I'd read - but these kids just didn't read books.

Do you mean they can't pick up on some illustration you're using, or something like that?

#2116279 - 07/11/13 07:01 PM Re: Imagination? [Re: Minniemay]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
YES!

This happens to kids who are raised in a bubble, like plants inside a greenhouse. They've never experienced sadness, loss, poverty, pain, hunger, anguish, anxiety, and any number of humanistic conditions. About the saddest thing that has ever happened to them is losing a soccer match. And the happiest thing is getting a video game for a present.

Reading avidly doesn't help everyone, either. Some of my most voracious readers (of novels!!) are also the ones with the lamest imagination.

#2116327 - 07/11/13 08:44 PM Re: Imagination? [Re: Minniemay]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
While not exactly what you asked, I think the below quote (and corresponding link to the original post) is an interesting discussion/solution on the parallel topic of students being introduced to piano lessons, but having no musical taste whatsoever (not necessarily in that they have poor tastes, but that there's been so little exposure to music of any kind, that the student has literally no taste). The solution was to (if not refuse to accept the student or accept the student on the condition of a probationary period in which they must acquire some taste(s)) provide the student with a short musical course, if you will, in the form of a cd to listen to that contains "over 70 pieces of different styles, periods, composers, all of superior repertory and all manageable by any beginner." Perhaps a similar solution could be conceived to provide a foundation in imaginative thinking (since the parents obviously aren't providing the tools for it).

Edit: this of course assumes that the reason for the thread was that you either are debating enrolling such a student or encountered such a problem with a current student and thus correspondingly posed the question. If this is not the case, please excuse my assumptions.

Originally Posted By: Bernhard
Now of course, every now and then one comes across a student (the stuff of our nightmares) that when asked which piece they would like to play, stare blankly at you and mumble “I don´t know”. In my experience these are children who are coming to have piano lessons because their parents want them to. They would rather be playing football or watching TV.

If I decide to take on such a student (which I very reluctantly would), then s/he is not yet ready for piano lessons. S/he needs music lessons, that is, listening to a lot of music, participating in music groups activities (singing, drumming, clapping), the kind of stuff that you see in schools. For unless a child likes music, the whole enterprise will be a waste of time (and a torture session) for both teacher and student. The student, in short, must want to play the instrument. And it follows that s/he must want to play something specific. If you have that, then piano lesson may start straight away. In the words of an instructor of mine: “I am good shoemaker, and I can make very good shoes, but you must bring me good leather”.

What if the student does want to play the piano, but does not quite know what s/he likes? Or likes some abomination (“I want to play the last single of Britney Spears”)? Then I will provide a CD with over 70 pieces of different styles, periods, composers, all of superior repertory (not teaching pieces, mind you) and all manageable by any beginner. S/he is then given the assignment of choosing at least 5 pieces (or as many as s/he wants) from that list, and to arrange them in order of liking. Once I have the list I will have an idea of his/her musical tastes, and can suggest more pieces.

Part of piano practice is listening / watching (e.g.on Youtube) piano pieces with an exploratory aim. That is, the student is expected to listen /watch to as many pieces s/he can manage with the simple aim of finding out pieces s/he likes. Wanting to play the piece is the only criterion. In fact, this is also part of the piano lesson. Many times I may spend a whole lesson listening / watching anumber of pieces that may interest the student (Again, my primary concern is not to find pieces that are good for the student, or that will develop his playing, but rather find which pieces s/he likes)

Edited by Bobpickle (07/11/13 11:41 PM)

#2116341 - 07/11/13 09:21 PM Re: Imagination? [Re: Minniemay]
ezpiano.org Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
Bob, I like your signature, can I steal it?
@ http://bit.ly/Ready123

#2116344 - 07/11/13 09:36 PM Re: Imagination? [Re: Bobpickle]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Originally Posted By: Bobpickle
Now of course, every now and then one comes across a student (the stuff of our nightmares) that when asked which piece they would like to play, stare blankly at you and mumble “I don´t know”. In my experience these are children who are coming to have piano lessons because their parents want them to. They would rather be playing football or watching TV.
Maybe. But sometimes the child is just shy. I've known children who do indeed love music but are unable to articulate this, and they don't know what they "should" say when asked this question. I don't see this as "the stuff of nightmares", but an opportunity. So it may end up that they have zero interest. But what they may just have is zero background.

#2116345 - 07/11/13 09:38 PM Re: Imagination? [Re: Minniemay]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
Originally Posted By: currawong
came across many children whose imagination seemed to depend totally on the TV shows of the moment.

I had a "friend" like that as a kid; unfortunately she was the little girl who lived closest to me. Not that I didn't watch a ton of TV (as well as reading lots of books), but this girl would get upset if the details of our play diverged from the TV show. It took all the fun out of playing!

neglected piano blog

#2116393 - 07/11/13 11:37 PM Re: Imagination? [Re: currawong]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
Originally Posted By: currawong
Originally Posted By: Bobpickle
Maybe. But sometimes the child is just shy. I've known children who do indeed love music but are unable to articulate this, and they don't know what they "should" say when asked this question. I don't see this as "the stuff of nightmares", but an opportunity. So it may end up that they have zero interest. But what they may just have is zero background.

Yeah, this does assume a level of comfort on the student's part. However, this could be ascertained from the parent as well - or the question could at least be posed in the initial interview when the parent is present so as to help make the environment as comfortable as possible. You make a good point, though.

Originally Posted By: ezpiano.org
Bob, I like your signature, can I steal it?

Sure.

#2116500 - 07/12/13 07:34 AM Re: Imagination? [Re: Minniemay]
pianomouse Offline

Loc: Europe
Maybe, imagination and 'to express ourselves' lie close together, too.
I've had several students over the years who not only couldn't play the piano with feeling and expression (although some of them were pretty good pianists and I tried to show them how to do it), they didn't seem to miss expressing themselves.
I think that imagination is connected with our inner emotional world, and it has its roots in the personality of a person, but also can be influenced by the style of education and upbringing. And we all know that this is something concerning our students we have no influence - unfortunately.

#2116601 - 07/12/13 01:11 PM Re: Imagination? [Re: pianomouse]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianomouse
And we all know that this is something concerning our students we have no influence - unfortunately.

But it certainly is worth a try!

When I teach piano, I don't just teach music. I teach the entire student, filling in gaps of knowledge and experience whenever and wherever it's necessary.

The education system here trains a bunch of robots without the ability of original, individual thought. So much import is placed upon getting the "correct" answer and teaching students to get the "correct" answer in the most efficient way possible (often through rote memorization). Thus, when I read the students' essays, science projects, or math homework, I don't see one ounce of originality. Even the very idea of conveying ideas coherently and cogently is a challenge for most kids.

#2116671 - 07/12/13 04:01 PM Re: Imagination? [Re: Minniemay]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

This is so interesting. This child is only 5, yet seems to not experience an active fantasy life that most 5 yr olds seem to have. I even tried playing with an stuffed toy monkey with her and the only responses I got were facts about actual monkeys. She could not enter the make-believe world.

Cultural, perhaps? Parental environment?

#2116676 - 07/12/13 04:12 PM Re: Imagination? [Re: Minniemay]
ezpiano.org Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
Parental environment.
I had a 5YO before that do not know anything about Disney cartoon whatsoever because parent won't allow TV at all at home.
@ http://bit.ly/Ready123

#2116677 - 07/12/13 04:12 PM Re: Imagination? [Re: Minniemay]
MaggieGirl Offline

Autism Spectrum Disorder?

#2116679 - 07/12/13 04:17 PM Re: Imagination? [Re: Minniemay]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I don't think this is autism. She has normal social interaction. I do know that her parents push push push academics. They tried to overinvolve themselves in her piano study until I told them to back off.

#2116686 - 07/12/13 04:38 PM Re: Imagination? [Re: Minniemay]
The Monkeys Offline

Loc: Vancouver BC
Very interesting.
How is she doing musically? Does she smile when she plays?

#2116687 - 07/12/13 04:52 PM Re: Imagination? [Re: Minniemay]
The Monkeys Offline

Loc: Vancouver BC
My older son first visited Disney when he was 5.
He had fun, exited to see every character, calling out loud the names, many that I don't even know.

That night, when we were walking to the parking lot after the fireworks, he finally expressed his disappointment: "They are all fake, just people in costumes!"

The world was just never the same to him ever since. cry

#2116688 - 07/12/13 05:00 PM Re: Imagination? [Re: Minniemay]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

She smiles when we talk, but not while she plays.

#2116690 - 07/12/13 05:03 PM Re: Imagination? [Re: Minniemay]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I've tried improvising with her and I've had her try creating her own pieces during the week (not writing them down, of course -- just creating). No luck.

#2116694 - 07/12/13 05:15 PM Re: Imagination? [Re: Minniemay]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Minniemay
They tried to overinvolve themselves in her piano study until I told them to back off.

And they listen to you?

Have you tried to tap into the kid's other senses (other than visual)? Maybe the kid is more in tune with her sense of smell and taste, and you can relate the intensity and feeling associated with these senses to the sound that you make at the piano.

#2116697 - 07/12/13 05:20 PM Re: Imagination? [Re: Minniemay]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Actually, yes, they listened to me! I was shocked. But I've never blown up at a parent the way I did at this one. No, I didn't yell, but I certainly expressed my deep frustration. I think she was really surprised.

#2116705 - 07/12/13 05:53 PM Re: Imagination? [Re: Minniemay]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida

I never smile when I play, and neither do my students, although they often smile when *I* play. smile

#2119874 - 07/18/13 09:57 PM Re: Imagination? [Re: Minniemay]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
This is so interesting. This child is only 5, yet seems to not experience an active fantasy life that most 5 yr olds seem to have. I even tried playing with an stuffed toy monkey with her and the only responses I got were facts about actual monkeys. She could not enter the make-believe world.

Cultural, perhaps? Parental environment?

Perhaps too much structure at home, with no down time. Just a thought.

Interesting thread.

#2119901 - 07/18/13 10:52 PM Re: Imagination? [Re: Minniemay]
rada Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: pagosa springs,co
I've always thought my most important role was one of modeling [ not runway].....what I mean is I try to figure out how they learn and I adapt my teaching as necessary. I'd like to think the most important thing I do is share the love of the piano but it really is the love of humanity and their capabilities.

rada

I rarely show face emotion when I play...I don't want my listeners to watch my face....I want them to close their eyes and listen and if needed watch my hands....

#2120264 - 07/19/13 05:38 PM Re: Imagination? [Re: Minniemay]
chasingrainbows Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
Actually, yes, they listened to me! I was shocked. But I've never blown up at a parent the way I did at this one. No, I didn't yell, but I certainly expressed my deep frustration. I think she was really surprised.

Minniemay, did the parent sit in on lessons and interrupt? How did the parent interfere? I would be very interested to learn how you expressed your frustration.

#2120364 - 07/19/13 10:41 PM Re: Imagination? [Re: Minniemay]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The parent interfered by doing everything counter to my instructions in home practice. The father was the offending parent, but I blew up at the mother because she was there.

It started with me inviting her into the lesson half way through and asking her some questions and offering some observations about what I saw happening with the child. When she described what the dad was doing at home (having previously been shown what was necessary and what should not be done), I actually started pulling at my hair and and telling her exactly how frustrated I was, that if this continued, I would not continue to teach them. I did actually raise my voice.

She took it seriously and things have been going better.

I think Barb nailed it on the head. These children are constantly structured and pushed. They are two girls that don't have dolls! I don't think imaginative play is encouraged.

#2120428 - 07/20/13 05:49 AM Re: Imagination? [Re: AZNpiano]
Toastie Offline

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: AZNpiano
When I teach piano, I don't just teach music. I teach the entire student, filling in gaps of knowledge and experience whenever and wherever it's necessary.

You sound like a really good teacher. I teach high school kids (not music) and I often find myself attempting to teach them things like kindness, grace, manners, patience, general knowledge. I think lessons learned about life are just as important as the subject studied.
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3

#2120778 - 07/20/13 11:01 PM Re: Imagination? [Re: Minniemay]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA

I honestly don't know if this is on topic or not.

My handbell choir has mastered the "look of grim death."

I start every performance the same way. "Bells down." All bells on the table, all ringers at attention. "Bells up." All bells come simultaneously to the shoulder ready to ring. "Eyes up." All eyes fixed on me, ready for my downbeat. "Smiles up." Brief grudging attempt at a smile, followed by quick sag into "look of grim death." And then we play.

They enjoy it at some level, yet the concentration required for amateurs to perform in public seems to add considerable stress.

I rarely ring but have done so at festivals filling in for a vacancy, and I find that shortly after starting the music catches me and I can't stop that inane grin from spreading over my face. Same thing happens when I play brass, the embouchure demands may prevent a real smile but it's there internally.

I've also played piano for church services, at the ragged edge of my capability with a train wreck possible at every beat, and I guess it's not impossible I was unable to smile. Until it was over. <g>

Quote:
The Elwood Blues I know once said that no pharmaceutical product could ever equal the rush you get when the band hits that groove; the people are dancin', and shoutin', and swayin'; and the house is rockin'!

#2120848 - 07/21/13 03:32 AM Re: Imagination? [Re: Minniemay]
Toastie Offline

"grim look of death" haha! So true!

I not only grimace when I play, but I adopt a variety of ugly concentration faces.
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
Yamaha U3

#2120873 - 07/21/13 05:22 AM Re: Imagination? [Re: Minniemay]
Saranoya Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brussels, Belgium
Originally Posted By: Toastie
I think lessons learned about life are just as important as the subject studied.

Personally, I think lessons learned about life are *more* important, especially with a subject like piano. Few of the pupils being talked about here will ever become professional musicians in any way, shape or form. Many will play for a few years, and then stop forever, or only play very occasionally after.

AZN has previously described some of his students as 'sheltered' and 'unused to adversity'. He might not be able to train all of them to become great pianists. But I guarantee that even those who stay with him for only a couple of years (and learn relatively little, musically) will remember him for having taught them how to persevere when things don't come falling out of the sky into your lap.

My second piano teacher, to whom I will be forever grateful, got me to the point where I could play one of Bach's Little Preludes in nine months or so. Which I gather isn't bad, but I never played it all that well. Far more importantly, to me, she taught me to be OK with making mistakes in front of others. Although that remains a work in progress (and will remain so for a long time, I think), I have to say that it's a skill that comes in handy far more often, and in a far wider variety of situations, than being able to sorta-kinda play a three-hundred-year-old piece of music.

So yes, do teach the entire student. Try to provide what the parents can't, or won't. Sit down with this girl, and make her listen to an epic orchestral work, and imagine the story that goes with it. Somewhere down the line, she'll be glad you did.

Currently Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Burgmller 100/3, 4, 7, 12, 15, 19, 25
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9

Future
Burgmller 109
Bartok Sz 56
Mozart K331

#2121190 - 07/21/13 06:03 PM Re: Imagination? [Re: Saranoya]
Toastie Offline

Originally Posted By: Saranoya
Originally Posted By: Toastie
I think lessons learned about life are just as important as the subject studied.

Personally, I think lessons learned about life are *more* important, especially with a subject like piano.

Well I was going to say that, but I phrased it carefully, as I thought someone was likely to take offence. I myself have learned far more useful things than piano in my piano lessons.
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
Yamaha U3

#2121229 - 07/21/13 07:36 PM Re: Imagination? [Re: Toastie]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
I've learned far more useful things than playing the piano in lessons both as a student and as a teacher.

For one thing, when people are more concerned about the importance of playing well rather than in becoming a better person, it seems to me that everything that is really important has been lost.

#2121296 - 07/21/13 11:51 PM Re: Imagination? [Re: Minniemay]
dumdumdiddle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
This is an interesting article I just read today that relates to the OP's subject:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=19212514

#2122066 - 07/23/13 08:42 PM Re: Imagination? [Re: dumdumdiddle]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
Originally Posted By: dumdumdiddle
This is an interesting article I just read today that relates to the OP's subject:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=19212514

Interesting article! Thanks for sharing!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
116 registered (36251, Alpiano, amv256, ando, 35 invisible), 1749 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75920 Members
42 Forums
156886 Topics
2305198 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
YAMAHA SILENT PIANO HQ 300 SX - Information please!
by ernani
08/23/14 10:52 AM
CA95 and HP-508
by Alpiano
08/23/14 09:47 AM
Help - kawai rx2-c conservatory limited edition
by KungPaoPanda
08/23/14 08:53 AM
What kind of fingering should I be using for these phrases?
by Jormungandr
08/23/14 03:04 AM
Mason & Hamlin BB Long distance purchase a few questions
by bigun
08/23/14 02:26 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission