Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
133 registered (anotherscott, anamnesis, austex, Anne'sson, Alexander Borro, 46 invisible), 1794 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2116624 - 07/12/13 02:13 PM "Play it again" Must see for returning adults
Miguel Rey Offline

Found this great video that should give any adult returning to the piano inspiration.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2116655 - 07/12/13 03:14 PM Re: "Play it again" Must see for returning adults [Re: Miguel Rey]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
I'm reading the book right now, and liking it a lot!

#2116670 - 07/12/13 03:55 PM Re: "Play it again" Must see for returning adults [Re: Miguel Rey]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
Talk about finding time for piano amid a very busy life! Pretty impressive...

neglected piano blog

#2116692 - 07/12/13 05:09 PM Re: "Play it again" Must see for returning adults [Re: Miguel Rey]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
The book is not available until Sep 17th in the US, according to Amazon...

Sam

#2116699 - 07/12/13 05:37 PM Re: "Play it again" Must see for returning adults [Re: Miguel Rey]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California

#2116702 - 07/12/13 05:47 PM Re: "Play it again" Must see for returning adults [Re: Miguel Rey]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
It looks like the Kindle edition might currently be available in the US.

neglected piano blog

#2116708 - 07/12/13 06:02 PM Re: "Play it again" Must see for returning adults [Re: tangleweeds]
bluebilly Offline

Loc: England
Thankfully, I didn't buy the book, I had it on loan from our City Library, I found it boring and I couldn't relate to it as a Piano Player, I returned it after reading a few chapters.

#2116715 - 07/12/13 06:18 PM Re: "Play it again" Must see for returning adults [Re: bluebilly]
JazzyMac Offline

Originally Posted By: bluebilly
Thankfully, I didn't buy the book, I had it on loan from our City Library, I found it boring and I couldn't relate to it as a Piano Player, I returned it after reading a few chapters.

Hmmm...that's rude.

#2116718 - 07/12/13 06:33 PM Re: "Play it again" Must see for returning adults [Re: Miguel Rey]
PianoStudent88 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Embedding is disabled for the video. Here is a link to watch it at YouTube:
Video

#2116719 - 07/12/13 06:34 PM Re: "Play it again" Must see for returning adults [Re: Miguel Rey]
PianoStudent88 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
JazzyMac, why is it rude to report one's reaction to the book?

I'd actually like to hear why bluebilly found it boring and couldn't relate.

#2116766 - 07/12/13 09:16 PM Re: "Play it again" Must see for returning adults [Re: Miguel Rey]
Palmpirate Offline

Loc: B.C.Canada
Well he's a guy used to high stress levels! I stress out over my little Bach prelude -but maybe I can give myself a whole year and then see how it feels. True though, there are so many who sadly tell you that they used to play and I'm determined not to be one of them! Will find the book and see what he has to say about the experience.

#2116767 - 07/12/13 09:19 PM Re: "Play it again" Must see for returning adults [Re: Miguel Rey]
Allan W. Offline

Loc: Michigan
It's not available in the US even with Kindle. And I can't buy it from amazon.co.uk

#2116776 - 07/12/13 09:48 PM Re: "Play it again" Must see for returning adults [Re: Miguel Rey]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
It reminds me of how many people have said to me over the year "you run marathons you must be made for them I could never do that".
Truth is, steady building steps and a deep desire to achieve something is a remarkable tool.

#2116828 - 07/13/13 01:26 AM Re: "Play it again" Must see for returning adults [Re: JazzyMac]
bluebilly Offline

Originally Posted By: JazzyMac
Originally Posted By: bluebilly

Hmmm...that's rude.

It's my personal review, why lie?

Edited by bluebilly (07/13/13 01:28 AM)

#2116870 - 07/13/13 06:24 AM Re: "Play it again" Must see for returning adults [Re: Miguel Rey]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Hopefully he's now on his way to a balance of a lifetime of learning a continuous series of additional pieces that he enjoys - I'd hate to think this was all about just learning one piece and writing a book about the experience (some cynics might claim here that this was more of a commercial enterprise rather than an artistic one) - not that what he accomplished isn't commendable, but now he must move on to round out his repertoire and enhance his skills...

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#2117120 - 07/13/13 05:53 PM Re: "Play it again" Must see for returning adults [Re: Miguel Rey]
Miguel Rey Offline

Thought about getting the book also but at over 400 pages would rather spend that time practicing or listening to music. Thats just me, don't have that much extra time and the video alone was enough to get inspired again and to rethink and map out my goals for the next year.

#2117164 - 07/13/13 07:17 PM Re: "Play it again" Must see for returning adults [Re: Miguel Rey]
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I'm also interested in Bluebilly's view, since he has read at least some of the book. Bluebilly, can you give us some kind of an overview that led to your impression?

I watched the video. It involves a man who had lessons as a child, and resumes piano at a much later age, and he's talking about it. He worries that an older brain doesn't learn as well, so he consults a neurologist at one point. He aims to learn one particular piece which is hard, consults several teachers along the way, and after a lot of perseverance he can play that piece. I guess that if you worry about whether piano can be resumed at a later age and especially if you are aiming for some advanced music in particular, that seeing this man persevere can tell you that it is possible.

I could not relate to the video. My first ever music lessons were on a new instrument, violin, and my chief worry was that it was "silly" - socially unacceptable. I was curious about the instrument and what lessons were like, and it was the instrument itself that fascinated me - not any piece of music. The idea that my older brain was any different than my younger brain never occurred to me. I think if that concern had been brought up, I might have started worrying. I would not have wanted to see the "neurologist" part, even with positive conclusions.

I'm of a practical bent for these things. Is there something in the book that we can use? Or at least, if it's anecdotal, is it interesting and fun to read? I have a feeling that this second thing might be true. He works with five (!) different teachers. I'm curious about what experiences are the same and which different among them. And then he also has an interesting life.
Originally Posted By: Miguel Rey
... the video alone was enough to get inspired again and to rethink and map out my goals for the next year.

That made it worthwhile to watch. The positive enjoyment and the new dimensions that this brings to his everyday life was good to see. That is also something that I could relate to.

#2117205 - 07/13/13 09:26 PM Re: "Play it again" Must see for returning adults [Re: Miguel Rey]
AZ_Astro Offline

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
Pretty impressive bit of work, learning Chopin's 1st Ballad in one year!

I enjoyed his story and his success.

#2117361 - 07/14/13 03:58 AM Re: "Play it again" Must see for returning adults [Re: Miguel Rey]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
Yeah well, it's a long book - I must admit that I'm reading the bits on his job very quickly, to spend more time on the parts that are actually about the piano. It's also clear that the guy has quite a lot of money on his hands - a music room, a Steinway, a Fazioli - which makes me a bit jealous. But I especially like how he shares his passion in long chamber music sessions with other amateurs and professionals, and by making his music room available to anybody. Now I'm dreaming of a music room of my own...

#2117387 - 07/14/13 07:08 AM Re: "Play it again" Must see for returning adults [Re: PianoStudent88]
bluebilly Offline

Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88
JazzyMac, why is it rude to report one's reaction to the book?

I'd actually like to hear why bluebilly found it boring and couldn't relate.

I'm sorry, I've only just caught up with the forum. I did say it was my personal review, others may disagree. Perhaps I didn't give the book enough time as I read around three chapters, and quickly thumbed through the rest of the book. The authors attempt to write a good read book about learning a difficult piano piece around a busy work schedule didn't come over to me. It wasn't the kind of book I pick up and can't put down, and my present time schedule means I can't waste time on anything else. Not wanting to steal this thread but, I've read several other Piano related books and found them to be well penned.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Decorations - Piano World Headquarters 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
kawai model SA-8E upright
by EthanHawaii
12/20/14 02:28 PM
Piano Felt
by Modern Conner
12/20/14 01:37 PM
5 adjacent dead keys
by levendig
12/20/14 01:18 PM
Like Someone In Love - a rhythmic approach
by marcuslchoi
12/20/14 12:43 PM
mp11
by mike2014
12/20/14 11:42 AM
Forum Stats
77372 Members
42 Forums
160016 Topics
2349868 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission