Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
124 registered (Anita Potter, anamnesis, alans, 42 invisible), 1626 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2116662 - 07/12/13 03:29 PM sight reading grade 2 question
BlackForest Offline

Hi

I am preparing for grade 2 sight reading exam that consists in both hans playing ng in a 5 finger position

Now my question is what the technique to know which finger to use

I do well with playingnotes in relation to the previous one but the problem is that I forget the previous note after a long note or silence. should I revert to absolute positioning in the keyboard for this? Do I have to keep a mental image of the keyboard and my hand placement all time as I suspect?

I guess I am being a bit vague but any advice is appreciated

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2116665 - 07/12/13 03:40 PM Re: sight reading grade 2 question [Re: BlackForest]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
Hi there. You need to strengthen your mental picture of the keyboard, and where your hands are on it. You can practice glancing at your hands, then back at the music really, really slowly (i.e. not bothering to keep a steady pulse). Course, eventually you need to use a steady pulse, but it can help to practice without the pressure of time.

I also think it can help to play a scale or piece you know really well, really slowly with closed eyes, then open them every now and then to check your imagining is correct.

In a spare moment, sketch out a keyboard with pencil and paper. Write in the note names if it helps. Be aware where the black keys are.

Is this ABRSM? If so you have half a minute to look through the piece first. Identify all the places the hand resumes after a rest or long note, and prepare yourself for them.

Good luck! smile

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#2116772 - 07/12/13 09:35 PM Re: sight reading grade 2 question [Re: BlackForest]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
I am not very experienced so can only tell you what little I know. I was making good progress with SR using a basic hand position and relating each note to a specific finger. However I was still concerned enough to ask the question if this is correct. Turns out no it isn't. In hindsight it was quite obvious the way music is written you can't stay within a narrow range. I also had difficulty in remembering where my fingers were especially if I was concentrating on another hand.

I know this won't help you for your exam but the resolution to your problems are just practice. Daily sight reading practice if you are not doing it already will yield results. Co-incidentally as you play more complex pieces so to will your keyboard awareness and interval recognition improve.

This is one of my favourite subject in piano so eager to hear others opinions.

#2116780 - 07/12/13 10:24 PM Re: sight reading grade 2 question [Re: BlackForest]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: BlackForest
Do I have to keep a mental image of the keyboard and my hand placement all time as I suspect?

Yes, you need to know where your hands are but more importantly for grade 2, you must learn to read the intervals, so you do not have to remember which finger to use. You need to quickly recognize the difference between lines and spaces where you could play a third up or down, a second up or down, etc from anywhere without thinking about positions of your hand to the keyboard, just from where your last note is.

Also, do learn your scales well. They really help sightreading particularly learn G major and F major related minor scales. Before you begin playing, always ask yourself "what is the key signature?" They will help you not forget to play the F# or Bb if you know your scales and remember to check for key signature. I do not believe you will see keys with 2 sharps or flats for grade 2 reading exam.

Before you begin play during the exam, remember to check time signature, key signature, scan the music for accidentals, then play and count, out loud if you have to. Remember to breath deeply and relax. You'll do fine.

#2116875 - 07/13/13 07:28 AM Re: sight reading grade 2 question [Re: BlackForest]
BlackForest Offline

Thank you so much for the great advice.

breathing: will try to remember i sometimes hold my breath!

So will try to improve my mental pic of the keyboard thats great advice

I am doing at least 30mins dedicated to it it is a bit frusteating I am so bad now! Butfrom what i've read i know it is hard for most people. Although i am surprised the jump in difficuly from grade 1 (1 hand) to 2 is so high

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Harmonic Analysis
by musicpassion
15 minutes 12 seconds ago
Best Way to Clean Keys on an Acoustic?
by newbert
Today at 07:51 PM
Interesting Thesis comparing popular methods
by kcoul058
Today at 07:30 PM
As a teacher would this irritate you?
by pianosNpreschooler
Today at 07:13 PM
What do you play for?
by findingnemo2010
Today at 07:07 PM
Forum Stats
77031 Members
42 Forums
159327 Topics
2340434 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission