Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2117281 - 07/13/13 11:42 PM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: ezpiano.org]
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Originally Posted By: keystring
I wrote in as comments began to drift to older students heading for a career, because "parents willing to drive" suggests young children. I wrote that for a young child of 6 or 7, long trips of an hour or more to lessons is not ideal because such children tire more quickly

I don't find this particularly controversial. This is something most parents get intuitively. And no one seems to have disagreed with you. In fact, a review of the thread shows no one talking about substantial numbers of their seven year old students taking 2 hour trips to lessons. The discussion of long trips got more intense precisely in reference to older students with serious musical pursuits (and I'm one of those who brought that up). I have some experience at that, having schlepped a young one from Virginia to Ohio for training. And no, I haven't yet handed him the car keys for that. grin In fact, on most of the trips we left the driving to Delta, American, or USAir.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2117284 - 07/13/13 11:43 PM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: Piano*Dad]
keystring Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Piano*Dad
Quote:
I wrote in as comments began to drift to older students heading for a career, because "parents willing to drive" suggests young children. I wrote that for a young child of 6 or 7, long trips of an hour or more to lessons is not ideal because such children tire more quickly

I don't find this particularly controversial.

Neither do I. You asked why I thought it involved younger children, and that was my answer to that question.

#2117286 - 07/13/13 11:48 PM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: John v.d.Brook]
keystring Offline

Loc: Canada

Edited by keystring (07/14/13 03:26 AM)

#2117903 - 07/15/13 06:48 AM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: ezpiano.org]
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK.
Distance seems to be a big issue for parents over here. I find that the vast majority of my students live within a mile or two and quite a lot are within walking distance. The main factor is that family commitments and schedules are stretched to the limits. There is simply not time for people to spend an hour driving to and from piano lessons. Most complain to me if the journey takes longer than ten minutes due to traffic or road works. I also teach in a school where it is just more convenient for parents who then don't even need to bother taking their kids anywhere outside of school hours.

This has actually influenced my decision whether or not to move house. If I moved even five or ten miles to the next town I would probably lose over half my teaching practice.

#2117945 - 07/15/13 09:49 AM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: ezpiano.org]
Piano*Dad Offline

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Quote:
This has actually influenced my decision whether or not to move house. If I moved even five or ten miles to the next town I would probably lose over half my teaching practice.

Ouch, Chris. That's terrible lock-in. And it doesn't say a whole heck of a lot positive about the motivations of the families that make up that half of your student population.

If you did move, how long do you suppose it would take for you to push the numbers back to normal?
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#2117983 - 07/15/13 11:40 AM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: ezpiano.org]
MaggieGirl Offline

For us a lesson can't be more than 40 minutes away and that long of a drive is really for areas she is already excelling and we can't find the same instruction close to home.

I was one who never thought I'd drive 20 minutes(later I was driving the 40) And then I was the mom who said she would never have before school lessons for her kid (started these 2 years ago) and then I was the mom who said - You have to be there at 5am?! It's not important enough that we would ever have to be 30 minutes away and have to be somewhere at 5am (this weekend began lessons where I have to get up at 3:45am to get her there and ready by 5am).

I think parents driving their kids long travel times tend to be highly committed...because now they have invested not only their money but also a lot of their own time.

#2118015 - 07/15/13 12:58 PM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: ezpiano.org]
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

If you live in a more densely populated area there will always be a piano teacher in close proximity. The problem I have is that there are several teachers in my town so many people simply go with the closest or cheapest. The more motivated and commited students might stay loyal and be willing to travel further but these students do not make up the majority of any full time teaching studio.

If I did move it would probably take a year to get back to a full book but that's a long time to manage on a part time income.

#2118027 - 07/15/13 01:16 PM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: ezpiano.org]
The Monkeys Offline

Loc: Vancouver BC
I think it is not if the parents are willing to drive a longer distance for lessons. If they see the value, most will. MaggieGirl would do. I have a close friend drive her kids 1 hour one way for piano lessons.

For what I know, this is how parents find piano teachers:
1. Referral
2. Search by qualifications

This is how parents select piano teachers:
1. Available lesson time that fits schedule
2. Distance
3. Price

In the populated regions, with the above process, parents are most likely able to find a piano teacher close by. It is not that the parents are not willing to drive, it is just that they don't have to.

Referral should be the top student source of a teacher. If it is not, there is a problem.

And the dark secret: the difference, it is not the musical or teaching skills. Like all service oriented business, it is the people skills.

#2118040 - 07/15/13 01:41 PM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: ezpiano.org]
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Monkeys, I would agree with almost everything you said except that parents seek teachers by qualifications. In all my years of teaching I have hardly ever been asked about qualifications. The mistaken assumption is that highly qualifified teachers are not needed for teaching a beginner the basics. I have been told countless times by people that they are just looking for a teacher to 'get them started' and that they will look for a better (more expensive) teacher if they turn out to be any good at it. Same thing with spending money on a decent instrument unfortunately.

Also a lot of people now find teachers through Internet searching. So it's not the musical skills, teaching skills or people skills that count. It's the IT skills!

#2118050 - 07/15/13 02:02 PM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: ezpiano.org]
childofparadise2002 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Parents need to have some ideas about music instructions in order to find the right teacher. I never had instrument lessons as a kid. As an adult student, I found my first teacher based on recommendations from a local music school, personality, and qualifications (the teacher had a bachelor’s degree in a music field). Within a few months I was able to see that the teacher’s training and what I needed from a teacher were a mismatch. I learned my lesson, and did research (there are actually lots of books and articles out there for parents). Later on when I looked for teachers for me and for my children, I was able to find teachers who have the qualifications that suit our needs, and who have the right chemistry with the students.

I have been and still am willing to drive my kids for an hour (even when they were 6) to the right teacher (or class) if that activity is what my kids are good at and enthusiastic about.

#2123333 - 07/26/13 01:32 PM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: ezpiano.org]
Daytripper75 Offline

I drive my daughter 21.57 miles 2x a week. We probably pass 200 piano teachers on the way to her lessons. Totally worth every mile.

#2123628 - 07/27/13 01:46 AM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: Daytripper75]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Originally Posted By: Daytripper75
I drive my daughter 21.57 miles 2x a week. We probably pass 200 piano teachers on the way to her lessons.

I hope you wave at a few of them. Though if you waved at them all, you'd be waving constantly. We're everywhere....

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
58 registered (aesop, beeboss, accordeur, AndrewJCW, 16 invisible), 1067 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75908 Members
42 Forums
156882 Topics
2305129 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What kind of fingering should I be using for these phrases?
by Jormungandr
Today at 03:04 AM
Mason & Hamlin BB Long distance purchase – a few questions
by bigun
Today at 02:26 AM
MY NEW PIANO
by Jvmvidela
Today at 02:14 AM
Here's a Paranoid Question:
by Paul678
Today at 01:19 AM
Are you must always make A4= 440?
by Maximillyan
Today at 12:55 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission