Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2116681 - 07/12/13 04:23 PM How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons?
ezpiano.org Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
I recently doing an average of how far my piano parents drive to me for piano lesson...this is what I got:
6.78 miles
I took their home address and google map to see what is the distance between their home to my studio and add up everyone then divided to get the average.
The longest distance I have is 18.5 mile and shortest is 0.9 mile.
How about your studio? I am interest to see other piano teacher doing the calculation and compare the numbers to find out what is a reasonable drive for parents to come to piano lesson?
Thanks!!
@ http://bit.ly/Ready123

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2116684 - 07/12/13 04:32 PM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: ezpiano.org]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
My most-distant student drove 3 hours, but that was just for a summer of coaching.

In my regular studio, the furthest away is 20 miles. The closest is 1 mile. Most are about 10-15 miles away.

#2116693 - 07/12/13 05:11 PM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: ezpiano.org]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
It really depends on the family. I've had one family that traveled 36 miles one way to have lessons (in traffic, the drive takes one hour), and it was a case where the parents are much more serious than the kids. And then I've had over a dozen kids who can walk to their lessons. They are some of the most dedicated, hard-working kids anybody could have asked for. I've taught five kids who live on my street!

#2116760 - 07/12/13 08:49 PM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: ezpiano.org]
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
I have known students who drove 1.5 - 2.5 hours one way. When your goal is studying at a top conservatory, attitudes toward driving distance evolve.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#2116916 - 07/13/13 09:35 AM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: Piano*Dad]
TimR Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
I drive 147 miles (one-way) to my trombone lesson.

#2116946 - 07/13/13 11:32 AM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: ezpiano.org]
keystring Offline

Loc: Canada
When "parents" are mentioned, young children must be meant. While teens and adults might have the stamina, I think a 2 - 3 hour weekly commute for a child would be exhausting for a young child and such an arrangement wouldn't last long.

#2116973 - 07/13/13 12:51 PM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: keystring]
kck Offline

Originally Posted By: keystring
When "parents" are mentioned, young children must be meant. While teens and adults might have the stamina, I think a 2 - 3 hour weekly commute for a child would be exhausting for a young child and such an arrangement wouldn't last long.

I don't know people regularly doing 2-3 hours, I don't think. But 1-2 hour commute at our top notch music school isn't uncommon. This tends to be done by the extremely dedicated parent/kid combos, but all of them aren't even necessarily super advanced. Happy to be commuting less than 5 miles. smile

#2116990 - 07/13/13 01:22 PM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: ezpiano.org]
keystring Offline

People do it, but how it is for the kids? The parent may be "dedicated", but it's the child who has to do the traveling, concentrate in the lesson, practice during the week etc. I had a neighbour who was about 17 when she was given a fantastic opportunity by a retired top teacher. Her parents drove her to another city every week - a 5 hour round trip - and if you heard the playing soaring out of that window, you'd know it was worth it. But she was not a young child, and she was definitely aiming for a career.

#2117010 - 07/13/13 01:51 PM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: keystring]
Piano*Dad Offline

Why do you presume that? I had a late high schooler in mind, actually. Their parents are unlikely to give them the car keys and wish them a pleasant commute. smile
Grotrian 192 #156455

#2117031 - 07/13/13 02:34 PM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: Piano*Dad]
keystring Offline

Originally Posted By: Piano*Dad

Why do you presume that? I had a late high schooler in mind, actually. Their parents are unlikely to give them the car keys and wish them a pleasant commute. smile

I presumed nothing but did surmise. The title says "How far are parents willing to drive for piano lessons?" I also know that more young children take lessons than older ones, and the asker's site gives me the impression that younger children are mostly involved.

In any case, "parents willing to drive" automatically excludes the idea of handing over car keys.

I did, in fact, hand over the car keys to my son as soon as he had his driver's license. The school was out of the area, and with rehearsals at 7:30 a.m. or going on to 10:00 p.m. or later, this was much easier on me.

#2117102 - 07/13/13 05:14 PM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: Piano*Dad]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA

That's today with our sissified kids. In the 1950s, I made a weekly R/T in our VW 90 miles each way, for my lesson. And that included driving through some really nasty Michigan winter blizzards.

#2117106 - 07/13/13 05:24 PM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: ezpiano.org]
Piano*Dad Offline

You must have walked barefoot to school too, and uphill both ways … grin

Just tweaking you.

Funny you mention that. Now that I think about it, I did actually give my eldest the keys so he could drive to Virginia Beach for his weekend horn lessons. He was seventeen or eighteen. Ah, how quickly we forget. And as keystring notes, it sure is easier that way. Except for the accident statistics for young male drivers in the first two years after acquiring their license ...
Grotrian 192 #156455

#2117113 - 07/13/13 05:40 PM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: John v.d.Brook]
keystring Offline

Originally Posted By: John v.d.Brook

That's today with our sissified kids. In the 1950s, I made a weekly R/T in our VW 90 miles each way, for my lesson. And that included driving through some really nasty Michigan winter blizzards.

I'm not writing about what is done but what is optimum. A six year old child, for example, traveling an hour after a full day of school, for example, will be tired and not have the same concentration regardless of how much he "sucks it up". That was the same in the 1950's as it is now. I am interested in what is optimum, not in what trends exist either now or back then. These days kids are also yanked out of the home early in the morning because both parents work, and don't get to go home after school for the same reason. The kids of the affluent - who tend to be those who have lessons - are also over-enrolled in too many activities so that we constantly hear about both exhaustion and disinterest. Is it good because it's done?

Although I miss some things, I am not nostalgic for the good old days. There were right things and wrong things. But basically I look at what works and why it works. When it was done doesn't give me that.

I rode a school bus every day for 1 1/2 hours, and then had to do farm chores since my parents elected to become farmers, when I was a teen. I survived it and got a university education to boot. I also could not study the things I was interested in because there was no Internet so we were stuck with what was available (read: not much). We also had the idiocy in Canada's cold north that girls had to wear skirts. If "sissy" means to be like a girl, try standing out in subzero temperatures in howling wind waiting for a drafty rickety school bus while wearing shorts with bare legs if you're a guy. Just because we could do such things (had to) doesn't mean they were good.

#2117125 - 07/13/13 06:04 PM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: Piano*Dad]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

You must have walked barefoot to school too, and uphill both ways … grin

Just tweaking you.

Funny you mention that. Now that I think about it, I did actually give my eldest the keys so he could drive to Virginia Beach for his weekend horn lessons. He was seventeen or eighteen. Ah, how quickly we forget. And as keystring notes, it sure is easier that way. Except for the accident statistics for young male drivers in the first two years after acquiring their license ...

Let me tell you that learning how to extricate myself from ditches, after spinning out on ice a couple of times, taught me how to really drive on snow and ice. Experience the best teacher? To keystring's comment - if we deny our children experiences, how will they ever grow up? Can life be learned from an xbox?

#2117126 - 07/13/13 06:07 PM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: keystring]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

.... try standing out in subzero temperatures in howling wind waiting for a drafty rickety school bus while wearing shorts with bare legs if you're a guy. Just because we could do such things (had to) doesn't mean they were good.

Been there, done that. Much of Michigan is further north than a lot of the Canadian populated areas. At -15 or -20, slacks or no slacks is of little consequence! BTW, there is a school of thought which states that adversity is actually good for our development.

#2117128 - 07/13/13 06:08 PM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: John v.d.Brook]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

BTW, have you ever heard trees explode because of the cold? It's rather awesome.

#2117147 - 07/13/13 06:39 PM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: John v.d.Brook]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
BTW, have you ever heard trees explode because of the cold? It's rather awesome.

Does it make a sound if there's no one there to hear it?
or perhaps more to the point, is it any less awesome?

#2117155 - 07/13/13 07:04 PM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: John v.d.Brook]
keystring Offline

Been there, done that. Much of Michigan is further north than a lot of the Canadian populated areas. At -15 or -20, slacks or no slacks is of little consequence! BTW, there is a school of thought which states that adversity is actually good for our development.

I'm talking about northern Ontario, not the south where the weather is tempered by the Great Lakes (which also seems to be the case for Michigan). I doubt that you have ever stood outside in those temperatures for any length of time with bare legs, but I can tell you that any clothing makes a difference. In regards to freezing in the cold being "good" for you - day in and out means being sick a lot: sore throat, fever, running nose, coughing. Losing fingers and toes to frost bite is also not that great for the constitution, and believe me, these things did happen. By the way, we staged a sit-in one year and got the school administration to use its brains finally - slacks were allowed thereafter. Oh the lovely 1960's!

Like rifle shots that echo in the silence. Yes, it is. smile This happened in the warmer snowbelt region which I think is at the latitude of Michigan. Further north you have only coniferous trees and these don't seem to behave the same way.

#2117159 - 07/13/13 07:13 PM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: ezpiano.org]
Piano*Dad Offline

Hey, you can get the rifle shots of trees exploding way down south in the land of cotton. Ice storms are awesome if you're in the right frame of mind.

BTW, all this competitive whining about cold and youthful endurance is becoming rather amusing. grin
Grotrian 192 #156455

#2117163 - 07/13/13 07:17 PM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: Piano*Dad]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I confess, the coldest it ever got when I was young was -42. Northern Ontario certainly gets colder!

And Keystring, once the lakes freeze over, which they did back in the 40s and 50s, they might as well not be there! No warming whatsoever.

#2117165 - 07/13/13 07:21 PM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: John v.d.Brook]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

BTW, as I recall, my three sisters all wore woolen knee socks underneath their rather long skits wool skirts. I suspect that was at least as warm as a pair of wash pants (we weren't allowed to wear jeans to school).

#2117166 - 07/13/13 07:23 PM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: John v.d.Brook]
keystring Offline

And Keystring, once the lakes freeze over, which they did back in the 40s and 50s, they might as well not be there! No warming whatsoever.

The danger now with global warming is that the lakes don't freeze solid, and they thaw sooner too. I remember watching an ice house or two sailing by at the end of winter. laugh One life saver is knowing that snow never goes below the freezing temperature of water, and if caught in a storm, burrowing into a snowbank just might save you.

Actually you've brought back a few good memories too. I loved listening to the trees crack in the winter, and the absolute silence as everything was muted by the thick snow. The 1 1/2 hour drive to school also went through some spectacular scenery.

Well, we've really derailed that one! grin

Edited by keystring (07/13/13 07:43 PM)

#2117197 - 07/13/13 09:13 PM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: ezpiano.org]
childofparadise2002 Offline
500 Post Club Member

It's probably very common for high-achieving kids (in music, and in any area of study, really) to run out of local options at some point of development. I also know parents who drive kids 1-2 hours one-way for music lessons----probably still easier than the traveling sports team, though. There are also parents (in US and elsewhere) who travel with kids by train or air on a weekly basis to seek lessons from the best teachers they can find in the country. For sports and academics, some kids live away from home in teenage years in order to be with the best coach or the best school... The talent development research that I've read has all indicated that dedicated parental involvement, including the willingness to drive kids to lessons and competitions (this is more for sports), is one of the essential factors for kids' success.

#2117202 - 07/13/13 09:23 PM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: ezpiano.org]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Interesting lesson on geography and climatology.

#2117213 - 07/13/13 09:39 PM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: John v.d.Brook]
rlinkt Offline

Loc: CA
Deleted

Edited by rlinkt (07/13/13 10:41 PM)

#2117218 - 07/13/13 09:59 PM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: Piano*Dad]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
BTW, all this competitive whining about cold and youthful endurance is becoming rather amusing. grin
Yep, I've enjoyed reading it! (Un)fortunately I've nothing to contribute, being from sunny down under. Midwinter here, and a mild 13C. smile

#2117223 - 07/13/13 10:11 PM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: rlinkt]
keystring Offline

Originally Posted By: rlinkt
To keystring's comment - if we deny our children experiences, how will they ever grow up? Can life be learned from an xbox?

+1

I didn't see that comment. I did NOT at ANY TIME advocate denying children experiences. I wrote in as comments began to drift to older students heading for a career, because "parents willing to drive" suggests young children. I wrote that for a young child of 6 or 7, long trips of an hour or more to lessons is not ideal because such children tire more quickly. Even if they force themselves to be attentive, it will be hard for them, and lessons that are closer by are more likely to be chosen. And this, in turn, was to answer the question in the header.

Where, in this, am I "denying children experiences"? And what does the Xbox have to do with it?

The other spin-off topic was that in the 1960's girls in northern Ontario were not allowed to wear long pants to protect their legs. Woolen socks weren't worn anymore by then. If a girl came to high school in slacks, the principal shamed them by wrapping them in newspaper for the day. Is this an experience that you would like modern children not to be "denied"? Yes, we have to learn to endure discomfort and pain in life, but not when it's imposed by sheer stupidity.

#2117238 - 07/13/13 10:36 PM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: keystring]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
The other spin-off topic was that in the 1960's girls in northern Ontario were not allowed to wear long pants to protect their legs. Woolen socks weren't worn anymore by then. If a girl came to high school in slacks, the principal shamed them by wrapping them in newspaper for the day. Is this an experience that you would like modern children not to be "denied"? Yes, we have to learn to endure discomfort and pain in life, but not when it's imposed by sheer stupidity.
It's definitely stupid - I couldn't agree more. Even in sunny down under in the 60s we were allowed to wear thick black stockings in winter.
(I didn't read your posts as "denying children experiences" at all, btw)

#2117242 - 07/13/13 10:40 PM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: keystring]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I got the impression, perhaps not what you intended, that you weren't too happy facing life's vicissitudes, but I suspect that formed your character in a rather substantial manner. Unfortunately, there are too many parents who do shelter their children in the extreme, and this cannot be good for either the children nor society at large.

#2117270 - 07/13/13 11:28 PM Re: How far parents willing to drive for piano lessons? [Re: ezpiano.org]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

John--

I teach a studio full of sheltered children who live inside a giant bubble. For many of them, I'm the only adversity they'll face in life until they get into college, or until they finish grad school and try to find a job.

Some parents appreciate the adversity I provide. Others just want to keep the bubble adversity-free.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Staying in one position for too long - tension
by DeadPoets
10/22/14 06:07 AM
Cleaning strings
by PhilipInChina
10/22/14 05:10 AM
recording digital piano
by johan d
10/22/14 03:38 AM
Ambitious Jazz beginner
by Ruan
10/22/14 01:10 AM
Is this a real Steinway?
by chernobieff
10/21/14 11:51 PM
Who's Online
88 registered (anamnesis, 36251, Al LaPorte, ando, A Guy, anotherscott, 24 invisible), 1344 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76610 Members
42 Forums
158409 Topics
2326296 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission