Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2116762 - 07/12/13 08:58 PM Beauty is in the ear and fingertips of the beholder.
Blues beater Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas USA
I have three upright pianos all about 100 years old. My tuner/tech friend that I have a very high respect for charitably says they have "character." The Webber has a poor pinblock and doesn't stay in tune that well so I touch it up all too frequently. The Steinway is pretty good but has some false beats and wobbly hammer butts (next project). The Whittier sometimes sounds really good with the new bass strings and hammers I put on but has occasional spells of false beats and ringing. Also, my work on the action and regulation would not exactly meet RPT standards! So despite significant improvements to all three pianos with the help and guidance of my friend and Reiblitz, these are all "beater" pianos on which I beat out the blues.

So the other day I looked up a long lost friend who has a Premier (??) grand in his house. I was thinking, "Wow, this is going to be exciting, playing a better piano than I have touched for some time." I could find nothing wrong with its state of tune -- to be expected because he keeps it maintained. The regulation was 100% consistent, it was neither overly bright or subdued, no notes stuck out voiced differently than the others or with ringing or other inappropriate sounds. In short, I could find absolutely nothing wrong with it except I felt it was lifeless, uninspiring and I could not enjoy playing it! What a pleasure to go home and beat on one of my beaters, after I had almost started to wonder if I was experiencing burnout regards playing the piano in general.

I get pretty concerned every time I see a post on here where somebody is inquiring about buying a piano in another state and wants to know if it is considered a good model and they have never played it. Fine to get a local respected tech to inspect it, but if you don't like playing it, it sucks for your use and it doesn't matter its pedigree or condition. It is for someone else, it is not for you.

Comments welcome. Maybe my tastes and standards are warped?

(ad 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
Win a year subscription to the PTG Journal
#2116765 - 07/12/13 09:16 PM Re: Beauty is in the ear and fingertips of the beholder. [Re: Blues beater]
David Jenson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
I have a client who plays "Stride" piano; a style that sounds like ragtime and rock to me. He has a nice Steinway upright that has some yowling unisons no matter how I fuss with them. I offered to try changing the wire to get rod of the wolfs, but he likes it just like it is. He insists that it's a REAL piano sound and I don't argue.

I must admit that he gets a lot of music out of that thing, and he obviously enjoys it.
-----

#2116777 - 07/12/13 09:58 PM Re: Beauty is in the ear and fingertips of the beholder. [Re: Blues beater]
Minnesota Marty Online   content

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Even though a piano sounds "in tune," it can be without a temperament which suits, and brings life to, the piano. It might be due to an uninspired tuner, rather than a bland piano.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2116794 - 07/12/13 10:59 PM Re: Beauty is in the ear and fingertips of the beholder. [Re: Blues beater]
accordeur Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Québec, Canada
A lot of people are not used to hearing clean unisons, they grew up hearing out of tune pianos.They associate the "out of tuneness" as the sound of a piano. It's actually used quite a lot in movies where an old piano happens to be there.

More advanced players realise the importance of unisons, proper regulation, voicing.

Temperament... Look up the french definition of "tempérament"....

Most temperaments used today are within cents of each other, or from theoritical ET.

When I am playing away, improvising and creating, the temperament is the least of my worries, as long as it is close enough, and that the UNISONS and octaves are clean.

I use tunelab all the time, I trust it. I learnt by ear 27 some years ago, so I guess you could call me an hybrid tuner. My ears are like a backup sentinel. As soon as my ears pick up dissonance, I don't look at the etd, I make the compromise.

If a piano is in tune, no matter the temperment, a pianist will be able to say wether they lke it or not.

All the best.

Musician, Tuner and Technician

#2116800 - 07/12/13 11:52 PM Re: Beauty is in the ear and fingertips of the beholder. [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Blues beater Offline

Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
Even though a piano sounds "in tune," it can be without a temperament which suits, and brings life to, the piano. It might be due to an uninspired tuner, rather than a bland piano.
My piano were all tuned by an expert, but since then I have been touching them up -- Weber doesn't hold that well, Whittier has replacement bass strings still not quite settled etc. I guarantee subtleties of temperament are way over MY head, but yet I still prefer my pianos to the clean lifeless one I played the other day.

#2116993 - 07/13/13 01:25 PM Re: Beauty is in the ear and fingertips of the beholder. [Re: Blues beater]
Ed Foote Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tennessee
Originally Posted By: Blues beater
I have three upright pianos all about 100 years old. My tuner/tech friend that I have a very high respect for charitably says they have "character.

Greetings,

Warped is just another way of saying subjective. You may respond more favorably to that which you are used to, but I have to say, you inhabit a world different from mine. Some music sounds better with more active unisons, but the damage those unisons do to music like Debussy or Brahms or Schubert is profound. A lifeless piano? I rarely have heard that term applied to a freshly tuned instrument, but I can see how it would seem like that to ears accustomed to a lot of randomness. Not unlike how the solid ground seems to move after being on a sailboat for three days...

Our life experiences are solely dependent on our perception, and perception depends on our perspective, and our perspective is the only thing that we can change.
Regards,

#2117002 - 07/13/13 01:43 PM Re: Beauty is in the ear and fingertips of the beholder. [Re: Blues beater]
chopin_r_us Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Tuning may be a nightmare but I wonder if the tone of a wooden frame piano can really be beat. But then I suppose it depends what you're looking for.

#2117011 - 07/13/13 01:52 PM Re: Beauty is in the ear and fingertips of the beholder. [Re: Blues beater]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Premier grands were not very good pianos to begin with, and grands deteriorate faster than uprights because more of their parts are exposed to the open.

#2117519 - 07/14/13 02:10 PM Re: Beauty is in the ear and fingertips of the beholder. [Re: BDB]
Blues beater Offline

Originally Posted By: BDB
Premier grands were not very good pianos to begin with, and grands deteriorate faster than uprights because more of their parts are exposed to the open.
I had heard that, but could not put my fingers smile on anything specifically wrong with the instrument. Perhaps the soundboard parameters are what made it sound blah...

#2117524 - 07/14/13 02:15 PM Re: Beauty is in the ear and fingertips of the beholder. [Re: Ed Foote]
Blues beater Offline

Originally Posted By: Ed Foote
I have three upright pianos all about 100 years old. My tuner/tech friend that I have a very high respect for charitably says they have "character.

Greetings,

Warped is just another way of saying subjective. You may respond more favorably to that which you are used to, but I have to say, you inhabit a world different from mine. Some music sounds better with more active unisons, but the damage those unisons do to music like Debussy or Brahms or Schubert is profound. A lifeless piano? I rarely have heard that term applied to a freshly tuned instrument, but I can see how it would seem like that to ears accustomed to a lot of randomness. Not unlike how the solid ground seems to move after being on a sailboat for three days...

Our life experiences are solely dependent on our perception, and perception depends on our perspective, and our perspective is the only thing that we can change.
Regards,

Debussy on my Weber would sound pretty awful! On the Steinway, not as bad. I haven't played a piano away from the home for a few years except for some Craiglist items that I chose not to take home and a friend of mine's crappy Baldwin spinet. I think I might go to a piano store or somewhere and see whether a nice Yamaha or whatever sounds "lifeless" to me.

#2117609 - 07/14/13 05:31 PM Re: Beauty is in the ear and fingertips of the beholder. [Re: Ed Foote]
Olek Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Originally Posted By: Ed Foote

Greetings,

Regards,

Hello, I can make you listen to some Steinway official recordings of the Steinway collection that sound lifeless to me. (dull)
Some of those records, despite they are officially agreed by Steinway (NY) , are , to my ears.

Suffice to miss the tuning of the attack , to obtain something sounding strange. Apparently some tuners do not.
Regards

Edited by Olek (07/14/13 06:06 PM)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
158 registered (A Guy, Akshay, ando, 36251, Anne'sson, 47 invisible), 1645 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74248 Members
42 Forums
153577 Topics
2250793 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Midi controller with a good keybed under 1000$
by Ov3rload
9 minutes 42 seconds ago
Bösendorfer vs Steingraeber
by Keith D Kerman
13 minutes 55 seconds ago
Keyboard stand
by david_ka
Today at 09:42 AM
Tuning stability problems...
by Grotriman
Today at 09:20 AM
What does this sign mean
by ryderb
Today at 08:46 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission