2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 11 invisible), 1,801 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 38 39
S
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S
Saw this article mentioned on another forum and thought it would raise interesting discussion here. I know for some the score is sacrosanct, but apparently it isn't for everyone.

ABSTRACT: Modifying the score examines the practice, sometimes carried out by pianists, of altering a notated musical work by such devices as thickening textures, changing registers or adding pianistic elaborations. In particular, it examines this practice of modification in relation to the music of Liszt. Four main questions are addressed, and these concern: (1) the notional space occupied by modification in relation to other species of work alteration (such as transcription); (2) the modifying pianist’s relation to the score; (3) the effect of modification on the listener; and lastly (4) the article examines why Liszt’s music seems to be the object of modification more than any other composer’s. After examining several recorded performances of Liszt’s music which feature modification, the article’s conclusion is that the practice occupies a notional space not previously theorised although it shares features with philosopher Paul Thom’s notion of “realisation”. <snip>

The full article is here:
http://mpr-online.net/Issues/Volume%203%20%5B2009%5D/MPR0021%20Hellaby%20Final%20Web%20Version.pdf

Discuss

Last edited by Steve Chandler; 07/12/13 09:38 AM.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A large part of Liszt's oeuvre consists of transcriptions of orchestral, operatic, or vocal works. Since these themselves are transcriptions they lend themselves more readily to modifications by the performer who may have his own vision of the original work that was transcribed.

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Scores are not sacred.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Steve,

Can you give us some parameters about what you mean, or what you think the article means? Many people think that changing a fingering is a violation of the spirit of the dead composer and their music. I think that's ridiculous, but others don't.

1- If you're asking if it's permissible for people to make arrangements or transcriptions of other people's compositions, then the answer is yes. It's done all the time and by the very best people. However, it is not permissible for people to pass that "arrangement" off as the original work.

2- Is it permissible to make changes to original cadenzas in concerti? If you ask me, yes of course. But your changes had better be as good or better than the original.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
First, in his memoir, Earl Wild, who had hands close to the size of a gorillas, made a point of saying that most, if not all, of the pianists of the 19th and early 20th centuries re-worked pieces in order to fit their particular hand. Anton Rubinstein, and his prize pupil, Josef Hofman, both had small hands and did this extensively.

Second, in that I roll the chords, I have re-worked the fingerings and chords for the opening of the Rachmaninoff C# Minor Prelude, and also the "piu lento" C section of the Brahms Op. 18 No. 2 Intermezzo. My teacher didn't play them that way because bringing out certain inner voices is a big deal to some people, and I can accept and understand that. However, the overall musicality of a work is more important to me than getting every single note in the score where it is supposed to be.

Just recently, I noticed that in measure #330 of the first movement of the Schumann Piano Concerto that I can take the E with the thumb of my right hand which makes it a no brainer to play. For the last 20 years I have been playing it with the thumb of my left hand and missing the C# at the bottom half of the time.

I just bought Uchida's Henle version of this piece, and that lady switches things around all over the place. Even though I disagree with most of her fingering suggestions, it shows me that this student of Wilhelm Kempf grew up and studied in a conservatory background in Europe where this practice was commonplace.

I play a ton of Debussy, and I learned from photographs of the composer that this man had fingers like a large spider and furthermore, he was left-handed. So, I change things around all the time. He specifically stated that he did not write fingerings in his scores because everyone has different size hands and fingers.

Leaving the best for last, if you view the documentary of Horowitz's recording of the Mozart A Major Concerto, you will notice (besides arpeggiation throughout) that in measures #108 thru 113, he plays it single notes with two hands.

In measure #15 of the A Flat Major Ballade, both Carl Friedberg (Clara Schumann) and Jorge Bolet (Godowsky, Hofmann, Rosenthal) play it single notes with two hands which makes it about as simple as can be.

So, you just tell anybody who gives you any static about it that a student of Brahms and also the former head of the Curtis Institute of Music both changed things around all the time. Bolet used to refer to score purists as the "Urtext Mob!"

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Sorry, the Brahms Opus is 118 No.2.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I'm just going to play what's on the page. However, if it's more of a lighter showy/dazzler piece, I might add my own flair to it. I might still note that I did some "extra-curricular" activity myself, though. wink

Or maybe a transcription... I saw Conrad Tao play Stravinsky's 3 movements from Petrushka, and talked about how afterward he compared the orchestral score with the piano score and slightly changed the piano part so it would fit the orchestral score more.

But my first rule is play what the composer wrote. Many times, I don't think it's appropriate to change/add anything. Seriously; it's not hard.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Along the lines of what Louis said, here's part of Debussy's (longer, ironic) instructions from the opening of his etudes about finding one's one fingerings:

<<...On n'est jamais mieux servi que par soi-même. Cherchons nos doigtés!>>

S
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by laguna_greg
Steve,

Can you give us some parameters about what you mean, or what you think the article means? Many people think that changing a fingering is a violation of the spirit of the dead composer and their music. I think that's ridiculous, but others don't.

1- If you're asking if it's permissible for people to make arrangements or transcriptions of other people's compositions, then the answer is yes. It's done all the time and by the very best people. However, it is not permissible for people to pass that "arrangement" off as the original work.

2- Is it permissible to make changes to original cadenzas in concerti? If you ask me, yes of course. But your changes had better be as good or better than the original.

Just to be clear the article is not mine, I didn't write it. I posted it here because I thought it would provide fodder for great discussion.

Regarding your assertions, I agree with both. In fact according to copyright law even the initial transcription is an arrangement and is not considered an original work. I also agree that changing fingerings should be inconsequential.

As a composer I've heard very different interpretations of my music than my own. In general any changed notes are the result of misreading or simply mistakes. I haven't had anyone embellish my work so I can't honestly say how I'd react to that. In general I appreciate simply being noticed.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by Louis Podesta
So, you just tell anybody who gives you any static about it that a student of Brahms and also the former head of the Curtis Institute of Music both changed things around all the time. Bolet used to refer to score purists as the "Urtext Mob!"
But, of course, there are tons of well known pianists who don't or only rarely alter scores.

It's not a black an white issue with all great pianists doing the same thing. Nor is it a question of the two extremes of never altering anything or altering whatever and whenever you want.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoelW
Scores are not sacred.

In your opinion.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores
Originally Posted by JoelW
Scores are not sacred.

In your opinion.

I knew you'd come out to play.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Scores are not sacred.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Opus_Maximus
Scores are not sacred.

In your opinion.

M
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
I'm just going to play what's on the page. ...

But my first rule is play what the composer wrote. Many times, I don't think it's appropriate to change/add anything. Seriously; it's not hard.

How do you know that what is on the printed page is what the composer wrote? Unless we check original autographs of the scores, we are at the mercy of the publishers, who are known to have modified works by adding pedalling, changing harmonies and time signatures. I know you have checked various editions of a work and found differences.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mwm

How do you know that what is on the printed page is what the composer wrote? Unless we check original autographs of the scores, we are at the mercy of the publishers, who are known to have modified works by adding pedalling, changing harmonies and time signatures. I know you have checked various editions of a work and found differences.

Well, we can use Urtext editions and do research. It's not hard to find facsimiles of manuscripts. It's also a bit of a case to case scenario sometimes, depending on the composer or the piece.

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
The OP quoted an article about Liszt's music. Liszt apparently considered the score to be, if not sacred, at least something to be taken seriously. This is why he reportedly used the score when playing his own music in order to show that it was a composed, serious piece, not an improvisation. In fact, it was the norm to use the score. Of course, performance practices at the time emphasized improvisational skills, which no doubt invited some virtuosi to add their own embellishments to published music. But this, it seems to me, is more about taste than anything else.

As for such issues as redividing between hands, changing fingering or even making small changes to the notes for technical convenience, in my view do not constitute changing the score, given that these changes don't alter the musical intent. The score tells us how the music should sound, not how it feels in our hands.

In our own time, improvisation is not something the audience expects or clamors to hear. Today's audiences presumably come to hear what the composer wrote and not marvel at the improvisational skill of the pianist. So for me, the score is the thing. (I also don't have any particular gift for improvisation or interest in it.)

Last edited by NeilOS; 07/13/13 11:38 AM.

Concert Pianist, University Professor, Private Teacher in Los Angeles
Blog: http://www.pianoteacherlosangeles.com/
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Neil,

"In our own time, improvisation is not something the audience expects or clamors to hear. Today's audiences presumably come to hear what the composer wrote and not marvel at the improvisational skill of the pianist."

That's absolutely true.

However, the question becomes more interesting, and less simple, with people like Liszt and Chopin, who left us as many as 10 very different versions of the same pieces. Which score should be sacred? I'm just asking...

In light of that, I think it's OK to re-distribute the hands when it's more convenient, or uncross them when it's a needless difficulty. Heck, Alicia de la Rocha was famous for leaving a few notes out that her tiny hands simply could not reach. And she played EVERYTHING!!!

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by laguna_greg

However, the question becomes more interesting, and less simple, with people like Liszt and Chopin, who left us as many as 10 very different versions of the same pieces. Which score should be sacred? I'm just asking...

Hi, Greg

The answer to your question is, pick a version and play it. I've played both versions of Davisbundler, even combined the two. But this is mostly about what repeats to take. If the composer wrote it, play it.

BTW I've been meaning to ask, have you published anything else on Taubman besides the Wiki article? I would like to reference it.

Concert Pianist, University Professor, Private Teacher in Los Angeles
Blog: http://www.pianoteacherlosangeles.com/
Online Content
Originally Posted by Mwm

How do you know that what is on the printed page is what the composer wrote? Unless we check original autographs of the scores, we are at the mercy of the publishers, who are known to have modified works by adding pedaling, changing harmonies and time signatures. I know you have checked various editions of a work and found differences.
IMO even if it wasn't possible to use an urtext edition, or the accuracy of the urtext edition was questionable, or there were no online manuscripts to look at...one does the best one can with what one has. In other words, if one wants to follow the score using an urtext edition is the best option. That this option may not be perfect is not a reason not to use it if this is one's goal.

Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 38 39

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission