2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
jazzwee #2115781 07/10/13 05:25 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
jazzwee - What a terrific recording! You and your band are just outstanding. I liked everything about this. It is so cool how the others in the group step back and let the soloist shine. I bet you all get along well outside of "work".

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes
Anne H #2115814 07/10/13 06:54 PM
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Anne H
Just wanted to pop in and say that you guys inspired me to get a Zoom recorder so I can contribute to stuff like this. Thanks for giving me the push to start recording!

Hope to hear/see your posting soon Anne H. I found my first two postings very arduous perhaps both pieces were outside my pay grade lol.
However it forced me to really listen to what I was playing and to hone in on dynamics. I was also very surprised when I listened to my first piece, which I thought I had learned well enough,how much more work it needed. I was greatly rewarded when I did the extra "polishing" of the piece how much better it was.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Jazzwee - Loved it! What a great band you are in! Is this an original song of yours? Thanks for sharing.

Anne - Congratulations to getting a Zoom recorder! I love mine and it is so easy to use. The vocals of my boys in my video above is recorded with my Zoom H2.

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
earlofmar- You are doing really well. Good for you. I look forward to hearing more from you and watching you progress. Stay at it. All it is, is a keen interest and practice which is clearly working. Good job with this.

Ellen - Nice clean sound. A very polished performance with great dynamics. Really great timing coordination ... sounds tricky but you have no trouble at all with it. Nicely done.

Weiyan- Great to hear from you again. Did you get a new board? Looks/sounds wonderful ... I love this classic ... OK another one I need to dust off now. You are doing great ... good job with this.

Fabulous swing and nice job with this great standard, Glen. Really like this.

Jazzwee, I am huge fan of Bossa's and this is one of my favorites. Great sound ... the band sounds great

Thanks everyone, for the very kind and generous comments re: "Love Story". It is great fun to be back.

Here is an encore from me this month. It is another Tear Jerker. Figured I would stick with that theme this month. This one made popular by Canadian artist, Anne Murray and called ...

You Needed Me

E
E
Thank you for those who have listened and commented. Just some replies...

Greener -- the rhythm was a bit tricky especially the first several measures. I struggled with it for sure.

Amaruk -- I wasn't even thinking of the angle. I had no other place to put my iPhone except at the edge of the piano. The little bit of theatrics it gave was not intentional, I lack the video/artistic skills you possess smile

Anne -- Thank you for the compliment! Yes new to piano but not new to music. Welcome to ABF btw, can't wait to hear your recordings.

Adult beginner since January 2013. My only regret is that I didn't learn sooner.
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Greener: thanks for your kind comments and thanks for the encore this is such a lovely piece, nice arrangement and very nicely played

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I
Jeff~~ glad you liked Stormy Weather - Thank you for your kind words.

Thanks for sharing You Needed Me. It's been awhile since hearing it and you brought back some good memories with that tune. Your technique has improved greatly and it shines through nicely. Keep up the good work. smile

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Inlanding
To get July's Piano Bar going, here's a very short cut of Einaudi's Indaco (intro) with an improvised finish.

https://www.box.com/s/7uaqdwaz6o0egh1tn2jz

...and along a similar line, an improvisation called, Side In
https://www.box.com/s/2czvdsx5r4a19ymjkwc9

Hope you have a great July!

Glen

Wow Glen, you shocked me with the Einaudi piece! That must be a first that I'm aware. Beautifully played with such a perfect touch! You can play anything.

I think I prefer your improvisation.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

Brent H #2116443 07/12/13 03:08 AM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Brent H
Here is "The Very Thought of You" by Ray Noble.

http://snd.sc/1cJGuey

I recorded the piano accompaniment in the original key of Ab and was using the recording to practice my singing. On a lark, I used Reaper to transpose it down to Eb and I really enjoyed singing it in a more laid-back register. Probably ought to slow down the tempo for an even more laid-back vibe.

Here's the original comp track in Ab before pitch-shift http://snd.sc/12iLody

The is my piano, recorded in my home, pitched down with software and then the vocal recorded in exactly the same room without moving the microphones. It's a "Mid-Side" recording using a Neumann TLM102 (Mid) and AKG Perception 420 (Side) together on each track.

Beautiful rendition here Brent. Your accompaniment goes wonderfully with your singing. Sounds like authentic Broadway!

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee #2116642 07/12/13 02:44 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
ElleC River flowing bee-you-ti-fully! Unbelievable accomplished style for 8 months! Wow . .

Weiyan My Way- No music again! You do so well on these songs. Piano sonding nice, man!

Inlanding Stormy Weather- Love your funky upbeat stride style. Very high feelgood factor indeed!

Greener Love Story - Remember it well. Ali McGraw - oh wow!! So you saw the film? Betcha did!
You Needed Me - Great. Old classic not often heard these days.

Jazwee You`re having far too much fun. And I`m jealous . . .I need a band! AND they tell me beer is good for ole fellas . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Weiyan – I liked the arrangement, the way the LH and RH worked together
The InLanding Trio – That makes for a great sounding trio. As sais by another you can play anything.
Jazzwee – excellent. Your fingers really fly in the solo
Greener - I haven’t heard You Needed Me in quite a few years. Your rendition let the melody and structure of the song through. Lovely arrangement. (I’d like to try to learn it).
BrentH – A great tune

And thanks all for the positive feedback. Amaruk, no I don’t know any ELO but might pick one out.

Guitar since 1966. Piano (Kawai DP80) since 2011.
peterws #2116847 07/13/13 03:21 AM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws
Here`s one some of you are old enough to remember. First time round. NOT me of course . . .

https://soundcloud.com/peterws7/misty

Very nice voicings here peterws! Excellent rubato feel, and not overdone and still feels in time. Beautiful!

My Jazz Blog

Riddler #2116848 07/13/13 03:23 AM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Riddler
My piece this month is I Gotta Right to Sing the Blues. This is an old time song (written in 1932 by Harold Arlen and Ted Koehler), and I'm an old time guy, but somehow I don't remember hearing it till maybe five years ago or so, when I happened across a recording of Louis Armstrong and Jack Teagarden having a grand time with it. I've wanted to play it ever since, so here it is.

I am playing from a lead sheet, unaccompanied.

(Note: wish I could sing!)

I Gotta Right to Sing the Blues

Ed

So smoothly done Ed. Solid playing, solid groove, great piano tone, and excellent sounding voicings. Boy, you just shifted to high gear with your piano skills in the last year. Amazing!

My Jazz Blog

yester #2116849 07/13/13 03:25 AM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by yester
@ PeterWS
What das it mean not you? Either way it sounds great! I enjoyed it very much.

@ BillM
I enjoy listening to you. Your cover is emotional but not overly. I like this balance!
And by the way – your Shirt is funny 

@ Riddler
Love this song! My music teacher in school played it for a play of our school troupe of actors. I had forgotten this, you bring me back this memory! Thanks!

Ok, here is my first recording for a bar.
It’s Schumanns first loss. I was as nervous as for my first recording for Ecco Fatto Café so the record has a few shakiness, but I think it will getting better with the time.

So smooth yester. Great touch and finesse on your playing. You are making such excellent progress!

My Jazz Blog

BillM #2116852 07/13/13 03:29 AM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BillM
Here is another in my series of performances of the work of 20th Century artist E.A. Presley. The piece was composed by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller in 1958. I'm working from a transcription for solo piano and voice.

How could I ever be disappointed with anything you do Bill? You're an entertainment machine with a non-stop supply of great tunes such with finesse and always with a professional sounding accompaniment on the piano. Excellent!

My Jazz Blog

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ladypayne
lots of great music so far this month smile Here's my submission for the month. My own arrangement of Whispering Hope. I used a lead sheet from a hymn fake book.

Whispering Hope
https://www.box.com/s/xk6bpixh8a8gjflctvyq

So well played Lady Payne. Clearly all these musical postings on the Piano Bar has pushed your skill level up. You're sounding really good here!

My Jazz Blog

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Once again, Bill, your choices influence my own. Given you chose the King, I’ve chosen the Boss with a reference to the King.

As a Bruce fan (his early years) I’ve listened to quite a bit to Roy Bittan over the years and love the ways he plays, although I could never emulate it. So, even though it’s a much simplified version, I put this together today. It’s a mix of ‘Factory’ from Darkness On The Edge Of Town with its earlier incarnation of ‘Come On (Let’s go tonight)’ from The Promise - the DOTET ‘off cuts.

Factory with Come On (Let's go tonight)

Greener #2117099 07/13/13 05:03 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Greener - You needed Me - This is great stuff - Real Piano Bar music beautifully played. This is the perfect tempo as it accentuates the bittersweet melody. One of your best.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Newman #2117101 07/13/13 05:11 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Newman - I like how you let your vocals and the lyrics take center stage. This is an absolutely perfect piano accompaniment for this song. We seem to have very similar taste in music and similar piano styles - more rhythm guitar than lead.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
BillM #2117180 07/13/13 08:15 PM
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Thanks, Bill. Yes, our tastes are very similar. To be honest the piano and voice balance was accidental. Funny thing, I actually had the piano a little louder than usual because I was playing quite lightly. Yes, definitely more rhythm than lead!

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission