2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, 14 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
dmd #2116740 07/12/13 07:45 PM
D
dmd Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
I tried out the BOSE Solo TV Sound product.

I did not get very far with the test because the first thing I noticed was that it introduced some latency into the sound chain. That was a deal breaker for me so I boxed it back up and am ready to take it back tomorrow.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
dmd #2116802 07/12/13 11:53 PM
K
K
What about the L1? Surely, that would not add latency.

Steinway B
Yamaha AvantGrand N2
Roland RD-700NX
dmd #2116877 07/13/13 07:31 AM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
If Bose is a must and size is a factor, maybe try the bar route if you dont like L1:
http://www.bose.com/controller?url=...ied_home_theater/cinemate_1_sr/index.jsp

dmd #2116888 07/13/13 08:11 AM
D
dmd Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Well, the truth is ... after hearing the sound through the SOLO product, aside from the latency, I was not all that impressed. It was good ... but not mind blowing good.

And availability is also a factor here. The solo system was something I could just grab off the shelf at my local BestBuy and now ... bring it back ... no hassle. The L1 and/or the SR systems are not that easily available.

Also, cost is now getting to be a consideration with a price tag of 1000 / 1500.

I am not quite as hyped about finding a better solution now as I was because I discussed this with an "expert" at a local Stereo Shoppe. I brought in my Focals and we compared them to various systems they had and the conclusion was that I wasn't going to get anything appreciably better. So, now that I have come to terms with that ... I find that I am ok with the sound I have. At least for now. LOL ...

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
dmd #2117042 07/13/13 03:00 PM
K
K
Did you take your piano to the stereo store? I've been wondering if home stereo speakers (good ones and probably floor standing) might be more effective than monitors at distributing sound for purposes of playing DPs in a home. I also have wondered if the L1 might distribute sound effectively, though I have no idea if it would have sufficient detail/accuracy.

Steinway B
Yamaha AvantGrand N2
Roland RD-700NX
dmd #2117043 07/13/13 03:00 PM
T
T
Originally Posted by dmd
Just wondering if anyone has tried the BOSE line of speakers as external speakers for a digital piano.

I am about ready to take a leap in this direction so I could benefit by other experiences.

Anyone ?

Further to previous comments by Mta88,

There is a saying in the audiophile community which goes:

"No highs, no lows...must be Bose"

- or -

Buy Other Sound Equipment

No offense to owners of Bose products, but they used to actually make a good product back in the 70s, with their bookshelf speakers. But, as others have already noted, they turned into a Marketing company, which puts out over-hyped products at way too high a price, considering the quality of components they use.

Furthermore, their published specifications (e.g. frequency response curves) are either non-existent or purposely vague. Independent tests by audio engineers have confirmed just how poor their systems perform in reality...especially as compared to other manufacturer's, which offer superior products at half the cost (or less).

Go to any hi-fi / audio site, and you will read how poorly they are considered and rated.

Here is a typical post, taken from Stereophile user forum, that sums up many people's assessment of BOSE as a company, and their products:

Bose is a great marketing company that makes mediocre (at best) speakers. First of all, I believe that most would agree that they start their design from a flawed premise. They've always said that 7/8 of the sound we hear is reflected, as apposed to direct sound. This is why most of the drivers in a 901 face in odd directions. Ask anyone from Bose where this number comes from and they can't tell you. This is creating false space as apposed to recreating the space that is actually captured on the recording. Then you have their active equalizer that is there to compensate electronically by forcing drivers past their physical limits to get a "big" sound out of a small box. This MUST create distortion. This is only one of the products, the others are equally flawed.

Then you look at their tendency to sue people for the most goofy reasons. They sued CEDIA (Consumer Electronics Design and Installation Association), a trade association of which they are a member for the use of the word "Lifestyle" with respect to audio. Years ago they sued Thiel because they used that same model number. Which is just stupid because the whole idea copyrights is to avoid confusion in the market place. Who in the world is going to confuse Bose and Thiel? Especially when the speakers looked completely different and were designed from a completely different technical point of view?

The following is from Wikipedia, "In 1981 Bose unsuccessfully sued the magazine Consumer Reports for libel. Consumer Reports reported in a review that the sound from the system that they reviewed "tended to wander about the room." The District Court found that Consumer Reports "had published the false statement with knowledge that it was false or with reckless disregard of its truth or falsity" when it changed what the original reviewer wrote about the speakers in his pre-publication draft. The Court of Appeals reversed the trial court's ruling on liability, and the United States Supreme Court affirmed in a 6-3 vote in the case Bose Corp. v. Consumers Union of United States, Inc., finding that the statement was made without actual malice, and therefore there was no liability for libel." I can't believe that they sued someone for a bad review!

Then you look at their draconian approaches in retail such as insisting that their products MUST NOT be set up where they can be actively demoed against other brands and their Secret Police tactics of demanding that managers fire sales people that say anything remotely negative about their brand ON THE SPOT or risk being cut off as a dealer.

Last edited by Tritium; 07/13/13 06:51 PM.
dmd #2117057 07/13/13 03:24 PM
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B

Semipro Tech
dmd #2117066 07/13/13 03:46 PM
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
For live the L1 is an incredible system(according to moleskincrusher). Comparing it to the tv bar or any other home product is not really meaningful.

D
Online Content
D

dbudde #2117145 07/13/13 06:35 PM
T
T
Opinions seem to be polarized on the BOSE L1 system, although the majority seems to be more on the negative side.

A quick search on a couple of guitar sites I frequent, and some of the comments were so bad (offensive), I was embarrassed to link to them.

This one seems to be a bit more measured and reasonable. Also, there seems to be a big difference in opinion in terms of sound reproduction of either full band and/or electric guitar, versus solo volalist/acoustic and perhaps keyboard:

BOSE L1 System commentary from The Gear Page

A few quotes from the above thread, that seems fairly representative:

#10 Old 08-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Member Join Date: Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Work great for solo or duo acoustic gigs. A pair didn't fare as well for my three piece electric band.

Which is what they were designed for, and work pretty well for that in small club settings. Way overpriced for what they are and what they do. Typical Bose product.

speakerjones;8804445
I have spent significant time with the Bose L1 and Compact in a controlled setting, and have done shootouts vs. various other speakers, including QSC K-series. I (and 6 other professional audio engineers) came to the same conclusion as others here. The L1 would be a good PA for a soloist or duo in a coffeehouse setting (assuming said artist(s) had the budget to spend). The compact sounded anemic, maybe OK for little girls singing karaoke in their bedroom. QSC K-series FTW. The K's are far more versatile, as easy to set up, and better sounding. I'm not a Bose basher by any means. I have some of their other pro-audio speakers (402's, 802's) that I like and that have made me lots of money.

I've also heard the L1's with full bands in a small theater, and a bar, and with an acoustic duo in a coffeehouse. The coffeehouse situation is the only one, where IMO, they didn't fall flat on their face.

The bar gig was my best friend's party rock band. They had a guy bring in a pair of the L1's and used them like conventional main speakers. They're a fairly loud band anyway. The Boses failed miserably.

The theater gig may have been an unfair trial, but it was telling enough. I was called in to do sound for a folk series at a 250 seat university theater. The first night, the band shows up, a four-piece folk rock act. They each have a Bose L1, the bassist and drummer each with a couple of bass bins, and say they won't be needing the house PA. Now the house PA was a nice Meyer Sound rig that had been donated to the theater specifically for this series. I knew that there was a good chance that the people who donated it would show up to the show, and probably want to hear their donation in action. I explained this situation to the band. Since we had some time, we decided to do a shootout - the Meyer PA (with some passive JBL wedges) vs. the L1's. We tried their way first. The L1's sounded OK close up to the stage. You could hear yourself well enough on stage, though having your voice come from behind you was a little disconcerting for me, having always used wedges or IEM's. But, as you got into the house, it sounded rather thin. They definitely DO NOT perform like a true line array. The little bass speakers (they're not really subs, they're car stereo bass speakers) kinda just went thunk, thunk without much conviction. Then we turned the Meyers on. Suddenly the guitars sounded like guitars, the vocals were up front and intelligible, the bass and kick sounded rich and full. I invited them to come out one at a time and listen to the difference. They decided to use their L1's for backline amps, and let me mix the show on the Meyers.

I think Bose is still offering a full no-questions 30 day warranty, so you could always try it out for yourself.

The Kid;8805252
For the price of a Bose L1, you can get two QSC K10's and a small mixer (with money to spare) which will blow the Bose system out of the water. I one of my K10's up against my friends L1 and it crushed his setup.

He even went and elevated the L1 so it would throw better, but (as another poster stated) it just doesn't move enough air. He even commented that two K10's and a mixer would be just as easy a setup as his Bose.

I've even done solo acoustic & vocals gigs with one K10 and no mixer. I have volume and eq on my acoustic, so it was easy to get a great sound. I even played my ipod through it on set breaks.

Not to mention that the K10 / mixer route is far more flexible. You can build onto that system for a whole band as your needs progress.

Last edited by Tritium; 07/13/13 06:48 PM.
dmd #2117151 07/13/13 06:49 PM
D
dmd Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Well, I do think the L1 is probably a good product. The question that needs to be answered next is ... do I wish to spend $2000 (you really need 2 of them) for my in-home setup ? That may take me awhile to decide. Actually, what will need to happen is that I will need to see that I have that pile of money available with no problem.

So, no action for now.

Don

dmd #2117160 07/13/13 07:14 PM
D
Online Content
D
Why do you need 2? I never will understand this seemingly universal need to turn a mono instrument into a stereo one.

dmd #2117185 07/13/13 08:35 PM
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I saw a finger style guitarist in a storefront setting with the L1, which is probably one of the easiest thing to make sound great, and it did.

Pardon me for imposing, I thought DMD was looking for a live setup.
I am looking for a 3-way computer speaker setup as a 3rd set of reference for mixing. Right now I have Intrigue 3800 Creative Labs 2.1 in another room. I use them to check my mixes.

OT just got my PX5S

dbudde #2117191 07/13/13 08:59 PM
D
dmd Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by dbudde
Why do you need 2? I never will understand this seemingly universal need to turn a mono instrument into a stereo one.

By "mono instrument" I assume you are referring to an acoustic piano. It appears that a digital piano is, in fact, a stereo instrument, unless the sound coming from the LEFT lineout is identical to the sound coming from the RIGHT lineout.

Don

dmd #2117209 07/13/13 09:35 PM
D
Online Content
D
Channel 2 of the L1 compact has left and right line inputs. While it's true that the speakers ultimately represent a mono instrument, the L1 reproduces music from a stereo source just fine. Many people use it for stereo backing tracks as one of the sources in addition to their instrument.

dbudde #2117219 07/13/13 10:00 PM
D
Online Content
D
Thought about this some more.... Mono makes more sense in a live situation. Most pianos have mono piano patches for this issue.

Also...

Here's what Bose has to say about this issue.

http://toonz.ca/bose/wiki/index.php?title=Keyboards_Mono_vs._Stereo

kippesc #2117304 07/14/13 12:40 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by kippesc
Did you take your piano to the stereo store? I've been wondering if home stereo speakers (good ones and probably floor standing) might be more effective than monitors at distributing sound for purposes of playing DPs in a home. I also have wondered if the L1 might distribute sound effectively, though I have no idea if it would have sufficient detail/accuracy.

I'm pretty satisfied with my floorstanding setup. I think it's the best option if you have plenty of space. (see my signature)

For playing the piano in your home, you 100% definitely need stereo. The piano is certainly not a mono instrument (from player perspective) and you will lose a lot of depth by listening in mono.

Previously: Kawai MP-10, 1980 Yamaha C7, 2012 Young Chang Y175
Allan W. #2117496 07/14/13 01:05 PM
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Allan W.

For playing the piano in your home, you 100% definitely need stereo. The piano is certainly not a mono instrument (from player perspective) and you will lose a lot of depth by listening in mono.

Exactly. And almost all the samples in our pianos are designed to be played stereo. They don't sound right if you try forcing them into mono (or using just one channel). In fact, a complaint we hear from time to time here is that DP's don't include very good samples intended for mono use. A DP is by no means a mono instrument as a rule.

Last edited by gvfarns; 07/14/13 01:06 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission