2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 12 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2116890 07/13/13 08:18 AM
K
OP Offline
K
My teacher told me I should try to play my right hand louder than my left hand. However I find that extremely difficult to do. Do you have any advice or practice tips for me? How do you guys do it?

Thanks,

KN

Be yourself - no more, no less.
My Piano Links Page
My Piano Blog
V
V
This is a common problem smile There is a recent thread Different dynamics with a number of great tips.

Kawai Novus NV10, Kawai CA-93
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by King Norre
My teacher told me I should try to play my right hand louder than my left hand. However I find that extremely difficult to do. Do you have any advice or practice tips for me? How do you guys do it?

Thanks,

KN

Well, remember ... your teacher did not say DO IT (right now). Your teacher say to TRY. So ... TRY !

Seriously, if you just try ... and keep trying ... you will be able to do it. Maybe not immediately but eventually. Remember, there is no rush.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
S
S
I found if you let your left hand kind of fall on the keys from a lower height and make that auto pilot, much like you would on a repeating harmony and focus on making your right hand strike harder I was able to do it. Also try pushing the keys slowly and right when you start pushing the keys with you left THEN strike with your right. I found it's all about forgetting the left and focusing on a louder sound with your right. I could not independently consciously think of both and do them that way, I had to get one on auto pilot and focus on the other.

I'm a three month beginner so anyone feel free to correct me if I'm giving poor advice!

Last edited by Sweet06; 07/13/13 11:17 AM.

"Doesn't practicing on the piano suck?!?!"
"The joy is in the practicing. It's like relationships. Yeah, orgasms are awesome, but you can't make love to someone who you have no relationship with!"
K
OP Offline
K
Thanks all! She indeed told me to try and that some students can do it after a couple of weeks and for some it takes years. Somehow I believe I'll be in the last group smile But hey, that won't stop me from trying anyway. Some day I'll be able to do it cool

Be yourself - no more, no less.
My Piano Links Page
My Piano Blog
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Or you could just turn up the volume on the right speaker higher than the left... smile smokin smile whome

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My teacher has me use what he calls ghosting. That is you play the right hand and pretend to play the left hand. In other words, you put your fingers on the Keys but do not press them down. When I first started back over two years ago, I found it very difficult and was resistant to doing it. I now know it really helps and use the technique in practicing quite often. I no longer find it that difficult when it is just the left hand. However, I am now working on a piece that has the melody and part of the harmony in the right hand and ghosting that is a lot harder as you have to play the upper note and ghost the others in the same hand. Another thing he has me doing on this piece is playing the melody loud and legato and the harmony soft and stacatto. The piece is one of Mendelssohn's Songs Without Words, "On the seashore." When I was at Summerkeys a few weeks ago, Bruce Potterton also recommended the same approach to learn to bring out the melody. This piece is beautiful but I am finding it quite difficult.
Judy

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission