2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
C
How unusual is it to have the winding of wound strings go all the way up to the tuning pin? I've not seen that on any but my old Wornun. Anybody else seen it?

[Linked Image]

Laissez tomber les mains
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Wrapping of copper this may be, but it's wrong. A winding should not cross a strip bar or agraffe. I was most surprised by a pins. It's some kind of medieval rectangle-harpsichord's pins

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Early keyboard instruments often have windings that extend right up to the wrestpin. I still come across such examples from time to time, so from my point of view, it's not uncommon wink

Concert Tuner & Technician for the past 52 years in the United Kingdom
www.jphillipspianoservices.freeindex.co.uk : E-mail jophillips06@aol.com
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Johnkie
Early keyboard instruments often have windings that extend right up to the wrestpin. I still come across such examples from time to time, so from my point of view, it's not uncommon wink

But why? Is it a correct? It's a windings shall break during a tuning.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
It is simply the way things were often done with early keyboard instruments, and whilst your concerns may well be justified, modern restorations of theses instruments maintain the practice of extending the windings to keep specification within the original design. It should be noted that these examples are absolutely nothing like modern versions, and for that precise reason, many early keyboard players want to experience as close a sound as possible to that of previous eras smile

Concert Tuner & Technician for the past 52 years in the United Kingdom
www.jphillipspianoservices.freeindex.co.uk : E-mail jophillips06@aol.com
C
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
C
It made perfect sense to me and then - you know how you don't really notice things till you need to? I saw other pianos this week and how they don't! You would have thought it would have an effect but maybe not as much as the historical makers thought.

Laissez tomber les mains
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Johnkie
, and for that precise reason, many early keyboard players want to experience as close a sound as possible to that of previous eras smile

Thank you Johnkie. Keep a traditions is noble theme

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by chopin_r_us
You would have thought it would have an effect but maybe not as much as the historical makers thought.

May be

P
P
The long winding does have effect on the IH. On basstrings the IH increase with longer bare steel endings.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
It's a shame you couldn't get those windings neater on the new strings. They will be pretty unstable like that. You need to lift the coils up, tap them together and squeeze the beckets tight (where the string turns the corner into the hole).

C
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by pianolive
The long winding does have effect on the IH. On basstrings the IH increase with longer bare steel endings.
What is IH?

and Phil, thanks, I'll try and do better on the next 20 strings.

Laissez tomber les mains
P
P
Inharmonicity

C
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by pianolive
Inharmonicity
Ah, so historical is potentially better?

Laissez tomber les mains
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Yes. That winding thing was quite common. Érard did it also both over the bridges and through an oversize agraf hole. I knew one, the strings had to be 140 years old and more, none of the signs of broken strings.

Please please let's not think for even a moment that those old makers knew nothing!!! A lot of solid technology has been forgotten. I write this as I listen to a 100 year old concert grand that, while it feels to have a confidential voice to the player, is currently filling the hall with a good quality huge sound.

If you really really want to do it right, all the pins should be facing precisely the same way. When that piano was new, all the pins faced the same way as the top pin on A#. (7oclock-1 o'clock) in your photograph. That was the hallmark of a good stringer. - still is..... In good work today, all the becketts face the same way.

Remember, with an oblong pin, the tuning hammer can only go on the pin one of two ways and when you consider the inconveniences of the other way... Only one way was left. That one angle better be convenient.

Last edited by rxd; 07/13/13 03:45 PM.

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

C
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
C
Very interesting. So the A# (original) is the only correct one? frown

Laissez tomber les mains
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Very interesting. So the A# (original) is the only correct one? frown

Yep.

These pianos were always tuned with a T hammer up until later in their lives. The Oblong slot is always in line with the handle.

Last edited by rxd; 07/13/13 03:26 PM.

Amanda Reckonwith
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

C
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
C
Now that makes more sense. I've been tempted to bid on the antique ones that turn up on ebay. Something tells me my handle with exchangeable sockets may be an advance though.

Laissez tomber les mains
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Now that makes more sense. I've been tempted to bid on the antique ones that turn up on ebay. Something tells me my handle with exchangeable sockets may be an advance though.

I'm not sure about that, myself. The invention of the ability to put a lever on a pin at any old angle, while I welcome it, might just be directly or indirectly responsible for much sloppy tuning.

Last edited by rxd; 07/13/13 04:11 PM.

Amanda Reckonwith

C
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
C
I take it with a tuning hammer the wrist does the work. It may preserve the pins more.

Laissez tomber les mains
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rxd
I knew one, the strings had to be 140 years old and more, none of the signs of broken strings.
Please please let's not think for even a moment that those old makers knew nothing!!! A lot of solid technology has been forgotten. I write this as I listen to a 100 year old concert grand that, while it feels to have a confidential voice to the player, is currently filling the hall with a good quality huge sound.

Dear rxd, I am also inclined to believe that such a winding bass string is the technology setting of past times. I suppose it's the timbre sound more soft and muffled. But I do not know, I did not hear that. It's was made old technicians of theirs coordinated action They keeping that technology setting of a string

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission