2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Craig Hair, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, Davidnewmind, 5 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
X
OP Offline
X
Hi friends, I have enrolled for piano classes and will be starting to learn in August. The tutor suggested me to get myself a piano for practice purpose if I am serious about it. I feel like buying a digital piano as I am moving to another country in next year and it will be easier to move the piano along; however, some of my friends told me that the sound quality of digital pianos is not as good as the that of acoustic pianos. Can anybody please give me some suggestions on this? Thank you.

R
R
There is no question that the sound and touch of a digital piano is different from an acoustic. But in your case, the impending move would suggest that it is prudent to start with a digital piano now.

X
OP Offline
X
I currently have Yamaha YDP162 and Korg LP380 on the list. Do you have other recommendations?

C
C
That depends on how much money you're willing to spend on the piano. The YDP162 is a decent entry-level DP, I don't know about Korg but from what I have "heard" here, their key action is not the best out there.

Btw. you would probably be better served over at the Digital Piano forum. smile

-- Zbynek N.

Learning to play the piano since 06/2013 on a Kawai CA-95.

Music is what feelings sound like. ~ Author Unknown
X
OP Offline
X
Hmm, how about YDP142? Well it seems that I have to do more researches on Korg. Thank you smile

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Check the piano shops for rentals. Those yamaha n1 or n3's with real piano actions are pretty awesome as well.

X
OP Offline
X
I am not sure if any piano shops in my country do provide rental service. So far I haven't heard about such service...

J
6000 Post Club Member
Online Blank
6000 Post Club Member
J
If you get yourself a cheap digital to start with - a Casio Privia or something, don't spend too much, or even find an older Clavinova on Ebay, and sell it again when it's time to move. Then, if your love for the piano grows and you want to keep playing, buy something better. Either a top end digital or acoustic. When you get to a certain level, you need acoustic if you want to sound good, but for note learning, you'll be OK on digital.

Personally I wish all my students only ever had an acoustic, but that's not always practical.

YAMAHA Artist
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
You'll get a lot of opinions about digitals next door in the digital forum. While a good acoustic is best, the acoustics that would compete with the pricing of that Yamaha & Korg would not be a great instrument for practicing. In that budget range, a digital usually is better. Casio's newest action is more realistic than any in its price class. From Yamaha, you would have to move above the 142 to, as Clayman suggested, either the 161 or 162 to be more comparable.

If you are willing to spend more on an a good acoustic, a used, mid-range brand name upright can be easy enough to sell if you had to in a year.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
X
OP Offline
X
Casio Privia? Hmm.. WIll check on it later. What do you think about Korg LP-380? My plan is to buy a digital piano and sell it before I am leaving. After moving I will get an acoustic piano.

X
OP Offline
X
I have decided to get a digital piano first. An acoustic piano is not really worth the money since I am moving abroad within a year. The more I ask the more choices I have. It is so... confusing frown

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
When I restarted piano (after a 15 year break) I went to Guitar Center and bought a $350 Casio digital piano. Pretty much the cheapest one they had with weighted keys, touch sensitivity, full-size keys, etc. It's not great, but it's not too bad either. It was definitely enough to get me playing again. I looked at it as a temporary/re-starter piano and had fun with it for 4 years. And then when I knew I was going to stick with it, had the room, had some certainty where I was going to be living, I got a nice acoustic piano. I might suggest go super cheap on the digital because they can definitely get up there as well, easily $2K even up to $10K!!! Save that money for the acoustic when you're ready.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by xiaofeipo
I have decided to get a digital piano first. An acoustic piano is not really worth the money since I am moving abroad within a year. The more I ask the more choices I have. It is so... confusing frown

Sounds reasonable. But I would suggest that you visit a few dealers to try acoustic and digitals yourself. If you find the sound of DPs totally uninspiring like I do, then going the DP route would be a waste of time.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
X
OP Offline
X
I will definitely get an acoustic piano if I am not leaving after a year. Since I am leaving soon, buying an acoustic piano seems to be a risky move to me...

X
OP Offline
X
It's not 100% that I will sell the digital piano when I move. I might ship it internationally to where I will be at. Have Yamaha YDP162, Korg LP380, Casio PX-750 and PX-780, and Roland F-120 on the list now.

X
OP Offline
X
I called one of the digital piano retailers in my hometown today and got some suggestions from her. She said that the tutors in her center normally recommend new students to get Roland F-120 as it is made of some materials which allow it to imitate the feel and touch of an acoustic piano. Any reviews on this? Thank you.

M
M
xiaofeipo,

I have a Kawai CA65 and find it to be remarkably similar in feel to many of the acoustics I have played. I am now shopping for a grand acoustic but will keep my DP as well. I would reccommend this model without hesitation. Even my teacher was favorably impressed with the CA65.

S
S
The problem with digital piano reviews is that they all come to the conclusion that whatever piano is being reviewed is absolutely wonderful. Apparently, there is no bad digital piano. Even the $1000 digitals are wonderful.

Yet, if you follow the people who buy these computers, they are never satisfied with what they have. The "realistic sound" after a few months becomes unbearable. Now they are chasing the ultra-realistic software pianos...lol.

I'm starting the solid wooden keys revolution in digital pianos. Get'em now or be square!
K
K
I have a Kawai CA65 and I like it very much. However, it does not feel like my teacher's Yamaha grand piano at all! I'm an absolute beginner and even I can feel the difference. There is a lot more resistance in the keys of the grand. I have to work harder to make it sound good. Also there is a lot more resistance in the left pedal of the grand (haven't used the other pedals yet blush ) compared to the pedal of my DP. That being said, I absolutely love my CA65 and yes, someday I'll definitely buy an acoustic piano, but for now and probably many years to come the CA65 will be just fine!

Be yourself - no more, no less.
My Piano Links Page
My Piano Blog
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by xiaofeipo

I think for your situation the digital is the most reasonable choice. I agree with others who have said go cheap (either used or not) and save the money for your real piano down the road.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission