Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2117437 - 07/14/13 10:06 AM Steinway sale
Lacovara Offline

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
What does this mean ? ? ?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/13/arts/music/notes-of-sorrow-in-changes-at-steinway.html

Steinway sold to a holding company ? ? ?

For a measly 438M ?

10 Million piano lovers chip in $ 100.00 bucks. Hmmmm ?

The piano community needs to ponder what this all means.

Lorenzo Lacovara

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#2117441 - 07/14/13 10:15 AM Re: Steinway sale [Re: Lacovara]
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
I think it means Steinway was sold to a holding company. wink

I agree with you about the valuation of $438M, though. I would have thought the brand to be worth far more than that.

#2117450 - 07/14/13 10:37 AM Re: Steinway sale [Re: Lacovara]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Lorenzo,

There is much discussion of the potential sale in the Piano Forum. You might want to check out those threads.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2117457 - 07/14/13 11:00 AM Re: Steinway sale [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Lacovara Offline

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
Will do.

Thx

#2117459 - 07/14/13 11:10 AM Re: Steinway sale [Re: Lacovara]
Nash. Piano Rescue Offline

Loc: East Nashville,TN Scottsville...
People and powers that be will put whatever spin they like on the sale. This is what happens when over - regulation finally takes its toll on business owners in this country. I'm sure the owners of Steinway were pretty sick of not being able to make a profit and or paying insane use tax on raw material which is why most manufacturing companies move oveseas. When you see a huge plant and see all the stuff laying around, wood, screws, glue etc everything you see is taxed, it is similar to real estate tax and it goes up every year.

Lots of people work at the Steinway plant. Some have been there 20 - 30 years with a great job but imagine getting hammered each year with more rules sucking money from your pocket. I am quite shocked they made it this long.

Certain states are worse than others and it almost always can be related to which states have the highest sales tax rates. Higher sales tax means more regulation and business tax to compensate which in turn hammers business out of business. Until these states learn that then there will be no real jobs anywhere.

A recent example would be the Nashville farmers market. Which are just hobby farmers trying to hash out a living, until June 1 when they got hammered with the new small farmers tax. The result ? An empty farmers market on a weekend
East Nashville
Bowling Green, KY
Scottsville KY.
Chamber of Commerce
Member/Sponsor

Putting inspiration in the hands of area musicians
Through restoration/renovation

#2117480 - 07/14/13 12:20 PM Re: Steinway sale [Re: Lacovara]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Only little people worry about taxes.

Companies get bought and sold all the time. To the consumer, it means little. I think Steinway has been bought and sold four or five times in my lifetime. So has Mason & Hamlin. Charles Walter was Janssen before it was bought by the current owner.

#2117527 - 07/14/13 02:18 PM Re: Steinway sale [Re: Nash. Piano Rescue]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Originally Posted By: Nash. Piano Rescue
People and powers that be will put whatever spin they like on the sale. This is what happens when over - regulation finally takes its toll on business owners in this country. I'm sure the owners of Steinway were pretty sick of not being able to make a profit and or paying insane use tax on raw material which is why most manufacturing companies move oveseas. When you see a huge plant and see all the stuff laying around, wood, screws, glue etc everything you see is taxed, it is similar to real estate tax and it goes up every year.

Lots of people work at the Steinway plant. Some have been there 20 - 30 years with a great job but imagine getting hammered each year with more rules sucking money from your pocket. I am quite shocked they made it this long.

Certain states are worse than others and it almost always can be related to which states have the highest sales tax rates. Higher sales tax means more regulation and business tax to compensate which in turn hammers business out of business. Until these states learn that then there will be no real jobs anywhere.

A recent example would be the Nashville farmers market. Which are just hobby farmers trying to hash out a living, until June 1 when they got hammered with the new small farmers tax. The result ? An empty farmers market on a weekend

Maybe Michele Bachmann will buy S&S.

#2117553 - 07/14/13 03:30 PM Re: Steinway sale [Re: Nash. Piano Rescue]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Yah, it will be great when we get back to the good old days before workplace regulation of 12YO girls building piano action parts instead of attending school. Love those nimble fingers!

We are getting the government we deserve mostly because the money to get elected comes from people and groups with specific interests that they put ahead of the ones the majority of the people have identified. If we funded campaigns via tax revenue our representatives would be far more likely to follow the peoples will because they got elected on the peoples money. Everybody hates taxes. GE hates them so much they have paid very little for many years. They do make great jet engines!

#2117659 - 07/14/13 07:22 PM Re: Steinway sale [Re: Lacovara]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
"... it announced that it was planning to sell the whole company to a private-equity firm that owns more than 15 other medium-size manufacturers, making everything from windshield wipers to sewing machines to coffins..."

During WWII, Steinway--- barred from using war materiel to manufacture pianos--- made not-very-good gliders, designed for a single-use, one-way trip to deliver soldiers behind the lines. After the war, they used their stockpile of fine, seasoned wood to make coffins.

Times were hard.

#2117671 - 07/14/13 07:48 PM Re: Steinway sale [Re: Lacovara]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Steinway made glider parts, not full gliders. Probably some of the best wood in the sky when it was from the Steinway stash. We shouldn't forget the 2,436 Victory Verticals (G.I. Pianos) for the war effort. The coffins were also for the use of the military. They biggest problem was that Steinway was low on seasoned wood for piano building at the end of the war.

#2117675 - 07/14/13 07:59 PM Re: Steinway sale [Re: Jeff Clef]
Ed Foote Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tennessee
Originally Posted By: Jeff Clef

During WWII, Steinway--- barred from using war materiel to manufacture pianos--- made not-very-good gliders, designed for a single-use, one-way trip to deliver soldiers behind the lines. After the war, they used their stockpile of fine, seasoned wood to make coffins.

Greetings,
I was under the impression that Steinway made the glider's main wing spars out of the highest grade spruce available. My family supplied wood to the government in WWII (90 ft long pine keels for wooden mine-sweepers) and I have seen how particular they war boards were inre materials. I would assume that the piano factory had some of the most experienced people to work with spruce and I bet they had the finest wood there was.
I say this because I have worked with a B from 1946 that has the most perfect board in it I have seen. It was an RCA broadcast piano in New York until they opened a studio in Nashville in the 1950's. The piano is probably on more hits than any in town, from Elvis's sessions, to virtually all the classics of the Cline/Reeves/Arnold/etc era. Floyd Kramer used it to record "Last Date". It has an incredible response, and the grains in the soundboard are the same from one side to the other. Perfectly straight and regular, I have always suspected that that board was made with left-over stock from their war effort. Nobody would have used musical grade spruce to build a coffin with, I dont' think.
Regards,

#2118184 - 07/15/13 08:02 PM Re: Steinway sale [Re: Lacovara]
Mta88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Trinidad and Tobago
I wonder how much Yamaha bought bosendorfer for .

Does anyone know?

Sony V6 Studio Headphones :: Presonus Audiobox USB :: Fiio E6 Headphone Amp ::
JVC 360Watt Stereo Speakers

#2118812 - 07/16/13 10:37 PM Re: Steinway sale [Re: Mta88]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: Mta88
I wonder how much Yamaha bought bosendorfer for .
Does anyone know?
If memory serves, I think it was around 14 million Euros, which was probably under 20 million US at the time. Bösendorfer was, I believe, running a deficit of about 2 million per year back then,

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#2118824 - 07/16/13 10:53 PM Re: Steinway sale [Re: Minnesota Marty]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
Steinway made glider parts, not full gliders. Probably some of the best wood in the sky when it was from the Steinway stash. We shouldn't forget the 2,436 Victory Verticals (G.I. Pianos) for the war effort. The coffins were also for the use of the military. They biggest problem was that Steinway was low on seasoned wood for piano building at the end of the war.

Yes. And Baldwin was also supplying parts for gliders, as well. In fact, I understand that their pinblock development emerged from research that happened during the war effort.

#2118826 - 07/16/13 10:54 PM Re: Steinway sale [Re: Lacovara]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: Lacovara
What does this mean ? ? ?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/13/arts/music/notes-of-sorrow-in-changes-at-steinway.html

Steinway sold to a holding company ? ? ?

For a measly 438M ?

10 Million piano lovers chip in $ 100.00 bucks. Hmmmm ?

The piano community needs to ponder what this all means.

Lorenzo Lacovara

I'd chip in $100. People do that around here to own a piece of the GB Packers.

But no need to get into a panic stampede. Steinway has been sold twice before.

#2120113 - 07/19/13 10:48 AM Re: Steinway sale [Re: Lacovara]
bkw58 Offline

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014

Loc: Conway, AR USA
That Steinway has weathered many storms and still emerged a leader on the concert stage is quite a feat when you think about it. Hopefully, the company will emerge stronger from the current change.

"Not to know what took place before you were born is to remain forever a child." - Cicero

#2120484 - 07/20/13 10:34 AM Re: Steinway sale [Re: Ed Foote]
Jake Jackson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted By: Ed Foote
... I say this because I have worked with a B from 1946 that has the most perfect board in it I have seen. It was an RCA broadcast piano in New York until they opened a studio in Nashville in the 1950's. The piano is probably on more hits than any in town, from Elvis's sessions, to virtually all the classics of the Cline/Reeves/Arnold/etc era. Floyd Kramer used it to record "Last Date". It has an incredible response, and the grains in the soundboard are the same from one side to the other. Perfectly straight and regular, I have always suspected that that board was made with left-over stock from their war effort. Nobody would have used musical grade spruce to build a coffin with, I dont' think.
Regards,

I hope someone will create a sample library of this piano. I'm surprised that no one has, really.

#2131944 - 08/12/13 05:46 PM Re: Steinway sale [Re: Lacovara]
bkw58 Offline

Prospect of Steinway bidding war emerges

Associated Press 12:28 p.m. EDT August 12, 2013

An unnamed investment firm has offered to buy Steinway, the musical instruments company, for $38 a share, topping Kohlberg's earlier bid by $3 a share, Steinway says...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/08/12/steinway-takeover-deal/2642627/

"Not to know what took place before you were born is to remain forever a child." - Cicero

#2132017 - 08/12/13 08:31 PM Re: Steinway sale [Re: Lacovara]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
This is not very surprising to me. It ain't over until you-know-who sings.

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#2132172 - 08/13/13 08:56 AM Re: Steinway sale [Re: Lacovara]
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
I always thought 438 million for the Steinway name and brand was way too low.

#2132701 - 08/14/13 09:25 AM Re: Steinway sale [Re: Loren D]
bkw58 Offline

Originally Posted By: Loren D
I always thought 438 million for the Steinway name and brand was way too low.

Me too, Loren. The value of the company must be linked to the overall depressed piano market. That a higher bid is now on the table might be a sign that fortunes for the industry could be turning around. At least one speculator seems to be willing to gamble that it might be.

#2132804 - 08/14/13 12:51 PM Re: Steinway sale [Re: bkw58]
pyropaul Offline

Loc: Montreal

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
U.S. Treasury Auctioning Steinway Art Case Concert Grand
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
81 registered (angga888, barbaram, AndrewJCW, AZNpiano, 20 invisible), 1249 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156080 Topics
2292015 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Another Improvisation
by Polyphonist
Today at 02:55 AM
4/4 measure in 3/4 time?
by caters
Today at 01:10 AM
Mac mini for software pianos?
by Mta88
Today at 01:10 AM
Installed an LX system on my Baldwin C
by SpectrumMan
Today at 12:04 AM
Join the false-beat revolution: get your wires straight!!!
by A443
Yesterday at 11:15 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission