Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2117520 - 07/14/13 02:13 PM Stanchinsky Prelude
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK, Brighton
The fifth one of 1911-1912...from the arbitrarily compiled "five preludes".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpW0bvcu72I
"What's rubbish about this?" is my question...I present this, not as a finished article, to try and glean some wisdom from minds far more suited than my own...um...it's a still image on a Youtube video, apologies to either Delurux or Debussyist (and sorry for forgetting who loathes the configuration also laugh ) and Kreisler, likely also many more who detest such things...the score can be garnered here, though, if you'd rather look at that than dear Lexy: http://imslp.org/wiki/5_Preludes_(Stanchinsky,_Aleksey) (sorry I can't get you closer...um...my computer automatically downloads rather than opening documents and I'm a technotard so... laugh ) Any and all criticism is appreciated; too harsh does not exist...I hope you're well and continue to be so. As always, thank you for reading down here and have a lovely day and night!
Xxx

#2142003 - 08/31/13 10:41 PM Re: Stanchinsky Prelude [Re: FSO]
D. S. F. Offline

Very good that you would bring Stanchinsky in here. You are quite found of this sort of music? So am I. The 12 sketches have been on my list for awhile. A brilliant, unique, young composer who died far, far too early. Do you play the other preludes?

#2143576 - 09/03/13 06:37 PM Re: Stanchinsky Prelude [Re: FSO]
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member

Crikey...so....so long ago laugh I'm shocked by how little well known Stanchinsky is...I mean, at least...I feel he shouldn't be. There's an aching, beautiful and tender honest madness in all his music that's just so...perfect. I mean, um, the fuga from the second sonata just reeks to me of a lost home; of his father, and just...the growing schism between the fantasy in memory and reality...and..and all in heartwrenchingly perfect detail....oh he's just...um...well, suffice to say he's my favourite of favourites ^_^ I listened to Bach and thought that would be it...and Alkan made me affirm my thoughts; if Alkan, in all that...spectacularness couldn't beat him, who could? Zaderatsky and Mosolov, and all the other Russians, they...they got close and then....I come across little Lexi...I...yes, I play a little else of his; I'm working on the F minor etude...I can play his second mazurka, um, the fourth prelude from those five randomly attributed "Five Preludes", the second's all wonky, I try and try to get the second sketch of the "three sketches" just so but I can never agree with myself how it should go...I just...there's *so* little of his music, and it's *so* challenging; even the simplest piece just...I don't know laugh Like, when I posted this recording it was, as far as I was or am aware, the only one of this piece...so...I was going blind; what if I was just doing it *all* wrong? shocked laugh Frankly, the thought disgusted me...still, um, yes....I love Stanchinsky...I try to play it and, being unfortunately ill equipped to play the same thing and refine it, the going is long....it's, in fact, my pianistic ambition to play all of his works...well...to memorise it all...and just...to....you know laugh I mean, it sounds *properly* sad, but I am properly sad, so it'll do laugh I just..I feel so endlessly sorry for him and feel that if I can enter his world...really embrace his memories and life, just to be there with him so that, maybe even a century past his death, he doesn't have to be so alone anymore...but you...you've heard of him *at least* laugh I...how do you...do you play Stanchinsky? I mean, the twelve may be on your list but...has anything found itself under your fingers? Have you found yourself trying to trace out the Lydian prelude when your mind wasn't looking? Just...yay! ^_^ Um...I'm *so* glad to have found someone who likes him..... ^_^
Xxxx

#2143963 - 09/04/13 10:43 AM Re: Stanchinsky Prelude [Re: FSO]
Michael Sayers Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholms lšn, Sverige
Hi FSO, ****thanks**** for bringing this composer to my attention. I have downloaded all the scores from IMSLP, not without suspicion that there are other intact works (I'll have to check my pre-IMSLP digital archive), perhaps you or D.S.F. have some notion of what has not been recorded. I've given the music a rapid overview, the quality is there and perhaps in an upcoming session I can squeeze something in - already and for various and diverse reasons the Nocturne, the E-flat Minor Sonata and the Mazurkas are of particular interest . . .

I enjoyed your recording of this Prelude FSO, thanks for sharing it!

M.

#2143974 - 09/04/13 11:03 AM Re: Stanchinsky Prelude [Re: FSO]
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

A great performance of this genuinely disturbing piece of music, FSO! Would love to hear you play the entire set of Preludes -- you project the raw emotion of this one very effectively and convincingly. Thanks for sharing!

#2144477 - 09/05/13 06:53 AM Re: Stanchinsky Prelude [Re: FSO]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Russian gloom with bells - good job.

I've got an CD of Stanchinsky piano music from about 20 years ago - need to give it another listen.

Edited by wr (09/05/13 06:54 AM)

#2144515 - 09/05/13 09:17 AM Re: Stanchinsky Prelude [Re: FSO]
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member

I was expecting a little less...I don't know, adulation...especially you Tim; shame on you! laugh Um...thank you for your kind words...I'll...well, I'll crack on bringing a couple of those other preludes up to scratch; I must admit, the first and third daunt me somewhat. This one was much more my speed; glacial ^_^ wr....I really hope it's the Fefilov; he brings exquisite control to some of the rather sensitive areas that require it in his recordings...but then Malkus, I feel, more consistently ties each piece together with drive...not sacrificing the artifice for a moment of spectral, dainty perfection...and other waffle laugh
Xxx

#2144747 - 09/05/13 05:53 PM Re: Stanchinsky Prelude [Re: FSO]
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Point well made, and taken, FSO! Going forward, I shall endeavor to provide a sneering blanket indictment of your efforts, replete with nasty one-liners and sarcastic repartee!

Fortunately (cough, cough), I've been able to learn from some of the best here at PW, and so that should be not be a significant problem.

#2144751 - 09/05/13 05:56 PM Re: Stanchinsky Prelude [Re: Tim Adrianson]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Oh, the irony...

Polyphonist

#2146689 - 09/08/13 11:58 PM Re: Stanchinsky Prelude [Re: FSO]
D. S. F. Offline

Originally Posted By: FSO
I...how do you...do you play Stanchinsky? I mean, the twelve may be on your list but...has anything found itself under your fingers? Have you found yourself trying to trace out the Lydian prelude when your mind wasn't looking? Just...yay! ^_^ Um...I'm *so* glad to have found someone who likes him..... ^_^
Xxxx

I've worked on the 12 sketches, but not committed to them. There is that time with any piece that something clicks and I say, "yes now's the time to go for it." I think how often I get to play my own program, apart from the collaboration in which so little input do I have in deciding any case...it's not often. So there are lots of the most interesting pieces which are just on hold for the right time. But yes, I identify with his writing, and I can sympathize with your desires regarding his life.

Moderator:  Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Associate Diploma repertoire
by lacrymosa85
09/17/14 07:55 AM
Questions for those that use dremel for hammer shaping.
by UnrightTooner
09/17/14 07:29 AM
Pianoteq vs Digital Piano vs Acoustic Piano
by wildpig
09/16/14 11:57 PM
Baldwin Hamilton 1941
by JMN12
09/16/14 11:13 PM
Tucson, AZ: Is Arizona Room a bad place for a piano?
by Paul678
09/16/14 08:14 PM
Who's Online
114 registered (allakart, *windowlicker*, anotherscott, 39 invisible), 1171 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76230 Members
42 Forums
157575 Topics
2314587 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission