2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, 11 invisible), 1,602 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
OP Offline
L
I just heard some piano called 'Summer', which sounds very happy and light. I am wondering if I could find the music sheet and learn to play it myself? Thank you!

Regards

Linda

R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
If it is this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA3uBlwtZkY
he has the sheets available.
Just click on 'Show more' in the info.

(I will leave the legal issues to your own conscience)

Rob
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
If you're talking about Summer by Joe Hisaishi, the pianist is still living and all his music and sheet music are copyrighted, so if possible, please try to purchase it rather than get it from an illegal download.

There are mainly two piano versions of Summer, one based on the original movie score, which is this:

Summer (movie version)

Me playing the movie version (solo piano)

And then the one Rob linked above, which is from a collection called Encore, in which Hisaishi re-arranged some of his most famous pieces and recorded them as solo piano pieces. This can be purchased through Amazon, and there is also a CD that contains all these pieces in these arrangements.

Score for the Encore arrangements

If you want the original version it might be harder to figure out which collection contains it, since most of the books are published in Japanese. Here's one possibility:

久石譲 ピアノ名曲集 at Amazon USA

I might be able to help you if you decide you want the longer, slower version.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What a dream to play your piece with an orchestra you are directing!

rada

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Rada, did I miss something or are you posting in the wrong thread??

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
L
OP Offline
L
Thank you! I checked the youtube link you guys provided here, it is the music that I was searching for. I will check the local library if they have the music sheet in some book, not so sure though, since it's quite new and the composer is still alive. Anyway I guess it's somehow easy to play this music, am I right?

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lindacharlotte
Anyway I guess it's somehow easy to play this music, am I right?

Um, I guess that would depend on your level, what kind of music you usually play, your ability to read music and so on. I do think the Encore version is a little easier than the longer version, but the Encore version presents its own challenges.

But I guess I would rank this as an intermediate level piece, although that's sort of a meaningless thing to say, especially since it's partially based on the fact that I can play this and I consider myself an intermediate-level player! whome

Actually, this got me thinking about how levels are determined and I found this chart that explains how SheetMusicPlus.com ranks their scores:

SMP Level Guidelines

When I get home, I look at the score and see if I can rank it the way SMP would. This should be fun. smile

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Well, I looked at both scores, and I would rank the Encore version as a 6 on the SMP scale and the longeqr version a 5. the difference in ranking is because the Encore version has more 4-note chords, is faster overall in tempo and has more spots where both left and right hand have more challenging rhythms or moe notes per measure. Level 5 is intermediate and 6 is late intermediate by SMP's ranking system. So now the question is whether you consider "late intermediate" easy or not. smile

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
L
OP Offline
L
Hmm, intermediate itself is not easy for m already, hehe. I wonder is it important to study piano through all these levels? I guess there are many people who just learn piano by themselves, instead of professional teachers etc. I actually just play the music I like, not looking at the level or chords, etc.

M
M
It really depends on your expectation. If you are happy with being self-taught and can manage to play the pieces you want to play, then no need to bother yourself finding a teacher. But to me, I prefer having a qualified teacher who can teach me how to play it right, and is willing to listen to my playing unconditionally and gives me comments. Not only does a good teacher teach you how to press the "buttons", but also inspire you and enrich your passions. A bad teacher can kill your passions. So, perhaps, being self-taught and having a teacher give you different learning experiences.

I have been a big fans of Joe Hisaishi since I was a kid after listening to "Laputa" (http://youtu.be/HhL8za8cm7o). When I learned piano again as an adult, my teacher didn't recommend me playing classical music to begin. So, I played quite a lot of my favorite Japanese pieces - Final Fantasy piano such as "Tifa's Theme" and some Hisaishi's such as "Friends", etc. My teacher showed me all the fingerings and that helped a lot... Then one day, I told my teacher that I was really to play classical.

"Summer" is a very nice one and hope you enjoy playing it. I have the full score and PM me if you are still looking for it.

~Mae

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission