Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
154 registered (Achilleas, A-Tom, accordeur, A Guy, 35 invisible), 1970 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#2118118 - 07/15/13 05:34 PM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: Mwm]
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member

It seems to me that Beethoven did not have a sufficient understanding of the human voice to write idiomatically for it. Many other composers did have that knowledge. I have been involved with professional singers for 50 years, and not one has said to me they enjoyed singing Beethoven 9. To them, it is poorly written. They perform the work because they get paid. For them , it is a form of prostitution.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2118181 - 07/15/13 07:59 PM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: Mwm]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: Mwm
It seems to me that Beethoven did not have a sufficient understanding of the human voice to write idiomatically for it. Many other composers did have that knowledge. I have been involved with professional singers for 50 years, and not one has said to me they enjoyed singing Beethoven 9. To them, it is poorly written. They perform the work because they get paid. For them , it is a form of prostitution.

This strikes me as being so unfair, unless -as it appears- you have an axe to grind.

I have sung it myself, I have a friend in the UK who has done it professionally several times, and I had some other UK friends who also sang it. NONE of them -whilst admitting a difficult slog- ever said that Beethoven's writing was poorly written, just a challenge (if a nuisance) to be met. Singing in that performance was an experience I shall never forget; collectively we knew we were taking part in an extraordinary experience.

Nothing in Beethoven is poorly written. Even his well meaning (if a bit naive) cantata Der glorreiche Augenblick has always demonstrated to me that Beethoven was utterly incapable of writing bad music. Like the Choral Fantasy -which has always been fair game to the critics- that Congress of Vienna work has an honesty and integrity to it that I find profoundly moving.

I am very sorry that Beethoven is a bit of a closed book for you. But to use the word 'prostitution' in reference to anything of Beethoven seems a most unfortunate choice of words.

#2118191 - 07/15/13 08:15 PM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: Mwm]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: guess where in CA and WA
Hi Mw,

How about Fidelio? I can't think of any other opera that goes out of its way to show how badly a singer can be made to sound.

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
1931 Bechstein C - now sold
http://www.triangleassociates-us.com/about_us (my day job)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Taubman (a recent article I wrote about one of my teachers)

#2118192 - 07/15/13 08:16 PM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: argerichfan]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Argerich,

"Nothing in Beethoven is poorly written. "

I beg to differ!

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Taubman (a recent article I wrote about one of my teachers)

#2118233 - 07/15/13 09:18 PM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: laguna_greg]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: laguna_greg
Hi Argerich,

"Nothing in Beethoven is poorly written. "

I beg to differ!

In what way?

#2118236 - 07/15/13 09:23 PM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: JoelW]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

To start with, how about every soprano aria in Fidelio?

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA

#2118483 - 07/16/13 10:44 AM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: Mwm]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
Back to the OP: Tchaikovsky and Dvorak are the best examples I can think of, when it comes to great piano music written by non-pianists.

#2118773 - 07/16/13 09:22 PM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: laguna_greg]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

To start with, how about every soprano aria in Fidelio?

Ouch! You drive a hard bargain. One of my favourite German arias of all time:

Apparently no one told Ludwig (or Nilsson or Flagstad) that this is an awful piece of music. Beethoven apparently wasn't trying to be a Rossini.

Though Ludwig is having more fun here: (You need to watch this!)

I suppose we might wonder if Fidelio had been written by anyone else, would the opera still be in the repertory today? Perhaps the magic attachment of Beethoven's name is sufficient to grant anything the status of Parnassus.

But I don't think so. As one who has worked with many singers over the years, none of them had much praise for Beethoven's writing for voice, but, then again, none of them IIRC put up much of a fuss. Great music is not always convenient, and Abscheulicher isn't very easy for the pianist either!

How well I know. cry

#2118796 - 07/16/13 10:04 PM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: Mwm]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

This too:

#2118860 - 07/17/13 12:03 AM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: argerichfan]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Well, let me shock you all by saying something even more heretical:

Most often, Beethoven was an indifferent melody writer. He had no great gift for writing great or even hummable tunes. Both Schubert and Mozart did a much better job of it, and on a more consistent basis. When he does manage to come up with a great tune, it is sublime. But I think you can count the number of great tunes he wrote on 4 hands.

What makes Beethoven a genius is not his melodies, but everything else about his writing.

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA

#2119049 - 07/17/13 12:16 PM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: laguna_greg]
worov Offline

Loc: Paris
Is anyone aware that Donizetti composed for piano ?

Donizetti : La ricordanza for piano

#2119158 - 07/17/13 03:48 PM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: worov]
ronde des sylphes Offline

Loc: Scotland
Ligeti Etudes (though their merit is a question of taste).

#2119162 - 07/17/13 04:03 PM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: laguna_greg]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Most often, Beethoven was an indifferent melody writer. He had no great gift for writing great or even hummable tunes. Both Schubert and Mozart did a much better job of it, and on a more consistent basis. When he does manage to come up with a great tune, it is sublime. But I think you can count the number of great tunes he wrote on 4 hands.

What makes Beethoven a genius is not his melodies, but everything else about his writing.

Beethoven's genius was in making memorable music out of material that isn't strictly melodic. It's often no more complicated than a scale or arpeggio, and you think, "why didn't Mozart think of that?" Well, because he didn't. That's why we still revere Beethoven.

#2119699 - 07/18/13 03:38 PM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: Mwm]
didyougethathing Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Has anyone mentioned Respighi? He has a few really neat piano pieces including the Three Preludes on Greogrian Melodies.

#2119914 - 07/18/13 11:18 PM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: jeffreyjones]
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Originally Posted By: jeffreyjones

Beethoven's genius was in making memorable music out of material that isn't strictly melodic. It's often no more complicated than a scale or arpeggio, and you think, "why didn't Mozart think of that?" Well, because he didn't. That's why we still revere Beethoven.

+1 Thank you!

#2119939 - 07/19/13 12:09 AM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: jeffreyjones]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

"why didn't Mozart think of that?" Well, because he didn't. That's why we still revere Beethoven.

Oh Jeff Honey,

I don't want to make this sound any more challenging than it must already. But are you saying the Mozart was somehow less of a composer because he could write better tunes than Beethoven?
Are you saying people don't revere Mozart?

Come on...

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA

#2119940 - 07/19/13 12:10 AM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: didyougethathing]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Did you,

I think Respighi is the first name added tot his thread that actually qualifies.

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA

#2119956 - 07/19/13 12:52 AM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: laguna_greg]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

I think Respighi is the first name added to this thread that actually qualifies.

Not true. I mentioned Edward Elgar a lot earlier, but perhaps you conveniently missed that. IMO Elgar is a greater composer than Respighi, who is more about flash and glitter than substance. I never hear any flash and glitter in Elgar.

Of course Americans generally find Elgar suspect for all sorts of pumped up and silly reasons, and cannot actually listen to his music. The usual Colonel Blimp and Empire, which is such ignorant nonsense, but Americans -unlike the rest of the world- just don't get the irony of it all.

#2119958 - 07/19/13 01:18 AM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: argerichfan]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Argerich,

I'll concede the point. My only reservation was that Elgar was more of a pianist than Respighi, who could hardly play the piano at all...although I wasn't there in person...

...and I like Elgar's music very, very much, especially the Serenade (wonderful in so many ways), and the cello concerto...

Edited by laguna_greg (07/19/13 01:20 AM)

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA

#2119973 - 07/19/13 02:23 AM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: laguna_greg]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

"why didn't Mozart think of that?" Well, because he didn't. That's why we still revere Beethoven.

Oh Jeff Honey,

I don't want to make this sound any more challenging than it must already. But are you saying the Mozart was somehow less of a composer because he could write better tunes than Beethoven?
Are you saying people don't revere Mozart?

Come on...

That's not what I said at all. And I would not want to be the one trying to argue either Mozart or Beethoven was greater than the other.

#2119975 - 07/19/13 02:29 AM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: Mwm]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
There are tons of gorgeous melodies in Beethoven's music. His ability to develop even the simplest motives tends to overshadow them, that and the fact that his melodies are often so broad that they defy the human voice.

#2120094 - 07/19/13 10:13 AM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: BDB]
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BDB
There are tons of gorgeous melodies in Beethoven's music. His ability to develop even the simplest motives tends to overshadow them, that and the fact that his melodies are often so broad that they defy the human voice.

Well said!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
I don't feel challenged...am I moving too fast?
by Guitar&Piano
11/24/14 04:24 PM
advice about the right choice
by Achilleas
11/24/14 04:07 PM
Will smaller monitor speakers limit the low end of a DP?
by Giancarlo Robles
11/24/14 03:37 PM
Thoughts on Sound Imagination and Tone production
by music32
11/24/14 02:02 PM
The DGX 650 Club
by beebop
11/24/14 01:13 PM
Forum Stats
77031 Members
42 Forums
159320 Topics
2340337 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission