2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 8 invisible), 1,592 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Mwm Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by Mwm
Originally Posted by Mwm

While I rank Beethoven amongst the greatest composers, I don't particularly enjoy listening to his music. I do like playing it however, and my audiences have always been appreciative.
How can one enjoy playing music one does not like to listen to?

Don't know, never thought about it. I am prepping the Beethoven Op. 69 Cello Sonata for performance in the fall and loving it. In all my long life I have never heard a performance, recorded or live of this work until a month ago. I listened to the youtube of Gould and Rose. Very cool. Gould plays with the lid fully up but has the piano facing the back wall, which means Rose is on his left. It works really well from a blend standpoint. Gould can play right out.
My point was it seems incredibly illogical to say you don't like listening to Beethoven but say you enjoy playing it. Don't you listen while you play?

Of course, but there is subtle difference between playing a sonata and being assulted by 700 inept choristers who think B. 9 was actually written by god.

M
Mwm Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Which reminds me of an interview with the head of music for the Salvation Army. He receives numerous compositions from members and accepts a few and rejects many. One composer complained to him about having his composition rejected as it was dictated to him directly by God. The good music director said "I have no doubt that it was dictated to you by God, but you must of written it down wrong."

Last edited by Mwm; 07/14/13 09:13 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by Mwm
Originally Posted by Mwm
Originally Posted by Mwm

While I rank Beethoven amongst the greatest composers, I don't particularly enjoy listening to his music. I do like playing it however, and my audiences have always been appreciative.

Don't know, never thought about it. I am prepping the Beethoven Op. 69 Cello Sonata for performance in the fall and loving it. In all my long life I have never heard a performance, recorded or live of this work until a month ago. I listened to the youtube of Gould and Rose. Very cool. Gould plays with the lid fully up but has the piano facing the back wall, which means Rose is on his left. It works really well from a blend standpoint. Gould can play right out.
My point was it seems incredibly illogical to say you don't like listening to Beethoven but say you enjoy playing it. Don't you listen while you play?

Of course, but there is subtle difference between playing a sonata and being assulted by 700 inept choristers who think B. 9 was actually written by god.
Now it seems like you mean you don't like to listen to what you consider to be poor performances of Beethoven which is completely different.

M
Mwm Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Mwm
Originally Posted by Mwm
Originally Posted by Mwm

Now it seems like you mean you don't like to listen to what you consider to be poor performances of Beethoven which is completely different.

You are digging too deep. Accept the fact I don't particulaly like Beethoven. Is that a sin? I am not asking you to dislike Beethoven.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Mwm
...I don't particulaly like Beethoven. Is that a sin?

Of course. wink

Regards,

Polyphonist
M
Mwm Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
Originally Posted by Mwm

Of course. wink

Is it deadly? Do I have six more left?

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Mwm
Originally Posted by Mwm

Of course. wink

No, I'm afraid not liking Beethoven counts for all seven.

Regards,

Polyphonist
M
Mwm Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Mwm
Originally Posted by Mwm

Of course. wink

Sing a requiem in my honour, preferably not one by Beethoven. Did he write any?

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Mwm
Originally Posted by Mwm
Originally Posted by Mwm

Of course. wink

I'll put a record of Beethoven's complete works on repeat in your grave, to run for eternity.

Regards,

Polyphonist
M
Mwm Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Mwm
Originally Posted by Mwm
Originally Posted by Mwm

Of course. wink

I'll put a record of Beethoven's complete works on repeat in your grave, to run for eternity.

I always knew I would suffer eternal damnation.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

Too bad you are so far away, we could listen to Beethoven to the accompaniment of a good hot Indian curry (I am an awesome cook) and a delectable French Chateauneuf-du-Pape.

Where shall we start? Let us ease into it with the early piano quartets, then just imagine how excited we will be when we arrive at the Op 2 sonatas!

Oh wait, Polyphonist, I forgot the Op 1 piano trios!

(Seriously, I heard a live performance of the Op1/3 at St. Bride's in London one rainy afternoon. It knocked my socks off.)

Jason
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
I am going to sign off. With all due respect, Beethoven has always been the most important composer in my life, and he was the one who first got me involved with classical music in the first place. (Not a bad thing, I should think?)

I have never looked back, and my gratitude has no bounds. Just the other day I heard a superb performance of the the D major cello sonata (Op 102), and once again I was in the presence of the Master. Thank-you, sir.

Jason
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
You'll have to forgive Stores. He's jealous of people who know stuff that he doesn't and especially who think a little more complexly. ha

Trust me, if it's you that you believe I'm jealous of then you need to get yourself a life. If "complexly" is a rambling mishmash of incoherency then I'll happily remain a simple thinker.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mwm

Actually, I think he was also lousy at modulation.

Good thing your thoughts on the subject mean nothing.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by argerichfan
I am going to sign off. With all due respect, Beethoven has always been the most important composer in my life, and he was the one who first got me involved with classical music in the first place. (Not a bad thing, I should think?)

I have never looked back, and my gratitude has no bounds. Just the other day I heard a superb performance of the the D major cello sonata (Op 102), and once again I was in the presence of the Master. Thank-you, sir.

I agree completely, and I might add that the latest piano sonatas (from Opus 101 on) are some of the most sublime and transcendent works ever composed, in addition to pieces like the late string quartets, the Ninth Symphony, and the Diabelli Variations (the 33rd variation of which has never failed to bring me to tears).

Regards,

Polyphonist
V
V
Originally Posted by argerichfan
Originally Posted by laguna_greg
Of course, why not Steve?

Except that Franck was a very fine keyboard player including the piano. His chamber music, if nothing else, attests to a highly idiomatic understanding of the piano.
Franck was an extremely proficient pianist (a prodigy) before he even took up the organ. I would rate the PC&F and PA&F amongst some of the greatest piano works of the 19th century, though many seem to disagree. As an organist I'm of course familiar with his organ works, but IMO Franck's successors -Widor and Vierne for example- wrote a lot more idiomatically for the organ. (That is not, however, to say their music is greater than Franck's.)

I'll just add that Frank once sightread the Hummel concerto in a minor a third lower than written.

Regarding the ongoing discussion about Beethoven, I too think he is one of the greatest composers ever (op. 111 is one of my favourite piano pieces, if not my all-time favourite) and I'd like to see a "lousy modulation" of his. I really mean this, if he did write bad modulations, I'd like to see an example or two.

Regarding the topic, Haydn hasn't been mentioned. He wasn't a virtuoso, but he could play the piano pretty well, so he is also in the "grey area". And he certainly composed great piano pieces.

IMHO Sibelius's piano music is great (and underappreciated), and Sibelius also didn't play the piano at a virtuoso level, altough it was the first instrument he learned (violin took over later).

Working on

Chopin: op. 25 no. 11
Haydn: Sonata in in Eb Hob XVI/52
Schumann: Piano concerto 1st movement
Rachmaninoff: op. 39 no. 8

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Mwm

Accept the fact I don't particulaly like Beethoven.

Earlier in the thread you said you liked him. How quickly tastes change...

But hey, you are in pretty good company - IIRC, Debussy and Benjamin Britten had issues with Beethoven, too. And for some current composers, the entire esthetic world that Beethoven belonged to is too remote to even matter.

M
Mwm Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by stores
Originally Posted by Mwm

Actually, I think he was also lousy at modulation.

Good thing your thoughts on the subject mean nothing.

Each of the thoughts posted on PIano World is an opinion. There is no such thing as absolute or universal truth. There is only observed reality, and that reality applies to the observer alone. I say what I think, you say what you think. In the end only what you think matters to you. Live with it.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
HI Mark,

Let me throw some more gasoline on the fire:

"but be that as it may, Beethoven was not "lousy" at writing for voice, nor on anything else of any significance with music."

Actually he was not a great writer for the voice as any singer will tell you. I and many other also do not consider him a great melody writer generally.

Originally Posted by laguna_greg
Let me throw some more gasoline on the fire:

"but be that as it may, Beethoven was not "lousy" at writing for voice, nor on anything else of any significance with music."

Actually he was not a great writer for the voice as any singer will tell you. I and many other also do not consider him a great melody writer generally.

Look at what you just said.

Actually, before we do, we need to know what you mean by "great."

But for the moment, I'll assume that great means great. grin

There's an awful lot of room between "lousy" and "great." I was just saying it's absurd to say he was lousy -- which it is.

So, you're not pouring fuel on the fire. You're offering to start a new fire, and I'm not getting into it. smile

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission