Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
108 registered (angga888, Anita Potter, ando, Adypiano, 36251, 32 invisible), 1280 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2117876 - 07/15/13 04:42 AM Two weeks til recital time! edit: ok, still a month to go!
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
So, usually we have a 1 month to recital time, but somehow it seems to have slipped by us.

Only 2 weeks to go til August 1st when MonicaK, wearing her "ABF Recital" hat will launch the call for submissions.

For those new to the forum, note that the call for submissions is on the 1st, and you have til 9pm E.S.T. (ie New York time) on the 14th to upload your mp3 file and (if you wish) your video link.

(There are 4 ABF recitals a year, launching on 15 Feb, 15 May, 15 August, 15 November)

Everyone from absolute beginner, and well beyond that stage is welcome. Every genre, your own compositions, whatever, - join in and have some fun sharing what you've been working away at.

I thought I knew what I was going to play but I'm having a re-think....we shall see. I'm going to do a lot of red-eye training over the next 2 weeks and see how that pans out.

Is everyone else just about ready?

Edited by casinitaly (07/15/13 06:02 AM)
Edit Reason: fixed the title!

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2117878 - 07/15/13 04:50 AM Re: Two weeks til recital time! [Re: casinitaly]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
I think this is the thread laugh

Definitely not ready yet, but I should be able to whip something up. Probably another David Lanz piece.

#2117879 - 07/15/13 05:04 AM Re: Two weeks til recital time! [Re: casinitaly]
Allan W. Offline

Loc: Michigan
Guess I can pull a piece out from my older repertoire.

#2117884 - 07/15/13 05:41 AM Re: Two weeks til recital time! [Re: casinitaly]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
If all goes according to plan, I will present a Chopin Nocturne that has never been heard in the ABF recitals before! And the way I play it, no one would recognize it even if it was their favorite...

Seriously, I've had to relearn the ornaments after I discovered I was playing many of them "wrong". I can recommend the Alfred edition of the Nocturnes by editor Willard A. Palmer - the ornaments are clearly explained and written out. If I had started with that edition I could have saved a lot of time...

And the "one month to recital" thread is on the 15th, so we are not late this time. It's two weeks until submissions open, but one month until the deadline.

Sam

#2117886 - 07/15/13 05:54 AM Re: Two weeks til recital time! [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Ah, well, then not late, but exactly on time smile.... by accident no less!

Looking forward to hearing your Chopin, Sam!

#2117892 - 07/15/13 06:15 AM Re: Two weeks til recital time! edit: ok, still a month to go! [Re: casinitaly]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

I have something ready, but I want to re-record it a bit faster. The problem is, when played to tempo it's less than one minute... maybe I should add repeats frown

#2117893 - 07/15/13 06:21 AM Re: Two weeks til recital time! edit: ok, still a month to go! [Re: sinophilia]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: sinophilia
I have something ready, but I want to re-record it a bit faster. The problem is, when played to tempo it's less than one minute... maybe I should add repeats frown

You can repeat if you want to - but many (including myself) have submitted pieces that are under a minute. Do what works for you.

#2117896 - 07/15/13 06:30 AM Re: Two weeks til recital time! edit: ok, still a month to go! [Re: casinitaly]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
"I'm going to do a lot of red-eye training over the next 2 weeks and see how that pans out.

Is everyone else just about ready?"

Says it all . . . . NO! Bt it`s good to work to a deadline . . . sometimes!

""

#2117910 - 07/15/13 07:15 AM Re: Two weeks til recital time! edit: ok, still a month to go! [Re: casinitaly]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
August?.....recital?........ sure I have something nearly ready but I don't have a thing to wear!

#2117978 - 07/15/13 11:26 AM Re: Two weeks til recital time! edit: ok, still a month to go! [Re: casinitaly]
stumbler Offline

Loc: Toronto
I am hoping to have a Villa-Lobos piece for the recital, but it is being a bit unruly of late.

#2117997 - 07/15/13 12:31 PM Re: Two weeks til recital time! edit: ok, still a month to go! [Re: casinitaly]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
I think if I record my piece five times a day for the next four weeks, one of the 150 takes might be OK.

Kawai K3

#2118289 - 07/15/13 11:21 PM Re: Two weeks til recital time! edit: ok, still a month to go! [Re: casinitaly]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
One month? Just where the heck has this summer gone?!??!

I will be recording something by (surprise, surprise) Einaudi, either Underwood or Discovery at Night.

#2118409 - 07/16/13 06:28 AM Re: Two weeks til recital time! edit: ok, still a month to go! [Re: Monica K.]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Monica K.

I will be recording something by (surprise, surprise) Einaudi, either Underwood or Discovery at Night.

shocked and stunned http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/images/icons/default/thumbs_up.gif

#2118417 - 07/16/13 07:08 AM Re: Two weeks til recital time! edit: ok, still a month to go! [Re: Monica K.]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Monica K.

One of these days I am going to have to try my hand at playing some Einaudi. I confess that I have his "The Best of" collection, but I have never done more than glance through it. I see a lot of familiar titles in there, though, from the ABF recitals. Where would be a good place to start?

Sam

#2118568 - 07/16/13 01:56 PM Re: Two weeks til recital time! edit: ok, still a month to go! [Re: casinitaly]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
You've got the skills to play everything, or just about everything, in that book, Sam, so my advice would be to start with the piece you like the most. If you don't have an obvious first choice, "Le Onde" is lovely, as is "Nuvole Bianche" and "In un' altra vita" (the latter is my hubby's favorite). You could probably sight read "I due fiumi", which remains one of my personal favorites to play.

#2118584 - 07/16/13 02:28 PM Re: Two weeks til recital time! edit: ok, still a month to go! [Re: casinitaly]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
I'm hoping I can get Tchaikovsky "June" of The Seasons good enough to record. I tend to only do one or two "takes" and am satisfied. There are still some rough spots. But, this is the only piece near ready. Now that I've joined a quarterly recital, I'd like to participate regularly. I'll just have to see how the next few weeks go.

#2119044 - 07/17/13 12:07 PM Re: Two weeks til recital time! edit: ok, still a month to go! [Re: dynamobt]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Originally Posted By: dynamobt
I'm hoping I can get Tchaikovsky "June" of The Seasons good enough to record. I tend to only do one or two "takes" and am satisfied. There are still some rough spots. But, this is the only piece near ready. Now that I've joined a quarterly recital, I'd like to participate regularly. I'll just have to see how the next few weeks go.

I love this piece! It is on my "to do" list, but it got bumped by the Grieg recital pieces. I am looking forward to hearing your version!

I have my August piece recorded, and I am just waiting for August 1. Of course, that means that I will probably continue to record it each day, hoping for perfection. Like that is going to happen....

Working on ABRSM Grade 6
European Piano Party July 4, 2015 in Switzerland!

#2119176 - 07/17/13 04:27 PM Re: Two weeks til recital time! edit: ok, still a month to go! [Re: casinitaly]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
SwissMS, it will grow on you even more as you learn it. But, hope you have good sized hands. Some of the reaches and stretches in this piece are something!!! I've had to come up with some interesting fingerings!!!

Edited by dynamobt (07/17/13 04:28 PM)
Edit Reason: I can't spell

#2119250 - 07/17/13 07:28 PM Re: Two weeks til recital time! edit: ok, still a month to go! [Re: casinitaly]
Sweet06 Offline

oh yay can anyone submit??
EDIT neverrrrmind i should read the whole thread
yay!

Edited by Sweet06 (07/17/13 07:30 PM)

#2119259 - 07/17/13 07:45 PM Re: Two weeks til recital time! [Re: Sam S]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
Sam, I am curious as to the Nocturne. Must, I wait until the recital to know your submission?

Is this the correct book?

http://books.google.com/books/about/Chopin_Nocturnes_Complete.html?id=VHsCGo6x3y4C
Thxs,
Carl

#2119286 - 07/17/13 08:31 PM Re: Two weeks til recital time! [Re: Strings & Wood]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Strings & Wood
Sam, I am curious as to the Nocturne. Must, I wait until the recital to know your submission?

Is this the correct book?

http://books.google.com/books/about/Chopin_Nocturnes_Complete.html?id=VHsCGo6x3y4C
Thxs,
Carl

It's #11 - Opus 37 #1 - the one with the middle section that sounds like a hymn. I don't believe it has ever been played in the ABF recitals.

And yes, that is the correct book. I particularly like the dashed lines that he uses to connect the grace notes in the right hand with the correct beat that they coincide with in the left hand. Removes the guess work about whether a particular grace note is before the beat or on the beat.

Sam

#2119320 - 07/17/13 09:51 PM Re: Two weeks til recital time! [Re: casinitaly]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
I have a general question - when submitting a piece with more than one movement, do you ever record them separately, or do it all in one take for the recital?

My planned piece isn't that long (Kuhlau 55 n 1), but with the repeats I can forsee a lot of nerve-related snafus, and I was just curious as to what others do smile

#2119401 - 07/18/13 01:26 AM Re: Two weeks til recital time! [Re: AimeeO]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Originally Posted By: AimeeO
I have a general question - when submitting a piece with more than one movement, do you ever record them separately, or do it all in one take for the recital?

My planned piece isn't that long (Kuhlau 55 n 1), but with the repeats I can forsee a lot of nerve-related snafus, and I was just curious as to what others do smile

I'm familiar with this one. smile While not for an ABF recital, I did manage to record it - I had no hesitation to try it without repeats to get through it - if it were for a recital, even more so.

Repeats are tough, and this one is a good length without them, so why torture yourself? smile

And if you might need to record each movement separately, I say go for it. Show us how you play it when no one is watching (or listening). smile

#2119402 - 07/18/13 01:28 AM Re: Two weeks til recital time! edit: ok, still a month to go! [Re: casinitaly]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Another Einaudi submission here. I just need to actually record the darned thing.

#2119403 - 07/18/13 01:32 AM Re: Two weeks til recital time! [Re: AimeeO]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
wELL, Aimee, I just bash ahead until nearer the time. The pieces are pretty short, and some contain repeats which makes learning (and memorizing) easier. So I don`t need to stitch `em together. But I`ve had to for other stuff when I first found this forum. Not so much now! Must be improving . .

""

#2119453 - 07/18/13 03:41 AM Re: Two weeks til recital time! [Re: AimeeO]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I would not think there is anything wrong with breaking up movements into separate recordings. There is no recording etiquette after all for the recitals and I would totally leave that one up to the decision of each person submitting

#2119522 - 07/18/13 09:16 AM Re: Two weeks til recital time! [Re: casinitaly]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Doesn't it always seem that no sooner do we finish one recital the other is upon us? I never ever feel ready. That said, I'm going with another installment of my "Message From Space" epic. My theme will be "A Journey to the Far Side of the World" and what I'm hoping to do is make it a travel video using shots of a series of abstract landscape paintings I'm working on. If nothing else it should at the very least show me what I don't know about i-movie....

#2119525 - 07/18/13 09:19 AM Re: Two weeks til recital time! [Re: AimeeO]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine

AimeeO, I know what you are talking about. Somewhere down the line I'm planning on recording a lengthy Schumann piece and I know for a fact that I will never do all the movements right in one take. So why not seperate the recordings? The only thing I would do is let folks know that I recorded that way.

#2119775 - 07/18/13 06:35 PM Re: Two weeks til recital time! [Re: Peyton]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: Peyton
Doesn't it always seem that no sooner do we finish one recital the other is upon us?

Yes - but in a good way. It keeps me focused!

I am looking forward to hearing the next instalment in your series! (and to seeing your paintings too!)

#2120628 - 07/20/13 05:27 PM Re: Two weeks til recital time! [Re: casinitaly]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
It's going to be three short Bach pieces for me this time. I feel like I'm almost there with them, but with only two lessons since the end of May, I'd like a little more help with one of them before I record.

Aimee, I have recorded multiple movements separately in the past. I might even record the Bach pieces separately, and they're not even that long. It's just nice to be able to take a break between, relax somewhat, and not feel rushed getting set up for the new piece.

Peyton, looking forward to listening to (and seeing) your latest creations.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Never thought it would end up at that instrument ...
by fatast
12/21/14 05:45 AM
Is Yelp reliable for evaluating piano stores?
by Le Chiffre
12/21/14 02:08 AM
Guide to Teaching
by Arghhh
12/21/14 12:39 AM
Making a New York Steinway sound like a Hamburg Steinway
by nphase
12/20/14 10:24 PM
Merry Christmas from Brazil! Feliz Natal!!
by Piano_Brazil
12/20/14 09:19 PM
Forum Stats
77375 Members
42 Forums
160032 Topics
2350116 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission