Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
71 registered (AZNpiano, ando, Anne H, angga888, Baroque Style, 19 invisible), 1054 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2117613 - 07/14/13 05:37 PM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: laguna_greg]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: laguna_greg
Of course, why not Steve?

Except that Franck was a very fine keyboard player including the piano. His chamber music, if nothing else, attests to a highly idiomatic understanding of the piano.
Franck was an extremely proficient pianist (a prodigy) before he even took up the organ. I would rate the PC&F and PA&F amongst some of the greatest piano works of the 19th century, though many seem to disagree. As an organist I'm of course familiar with his organ works, but IMO Franck's successors -Widor and Vierne for example- wrote a lot more idiomatically for the organ. (That is not, however, to say their music is greater than Franck's.)

It is fairly well known here that I am very fond of Edward Elgar's music, and his Concert Allegro would be a good example for this thread. Written for Fannie Davies, it is Elgar's only piano work conceived for the concert hall. It is not very idiomatically written (Elgar could get around the piano, though not a virtuoso), but it dates from 1901, just after a masterpiece -Cockaigne- so he was at the height of his creative powers. It really is a wonderful piece of music, and a few years later we would get the Introduction & Allegro for strings, another masterpiece.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2117614 - 07/14/13 05:40 PM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: Mwm]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mwm
Originally Posted By: Mark_C
....Actually, I think he was also lousy at modulation....

Yeah, he was just terrible at it -- the guy just really wasn't very much at music theory or technique. grin

So true. Finally, we agree on something! crazy

Unless I'm missing something -and I cannot blame it on excessive heat or lack of coffee- I don't think you quite 'got' Mark's post.

#2117620 - 07/14/13 05:44 PM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: argerichfan]
Mark_C Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: argerichfan
Unless I'm missing something -and I cannot blame it on excessive heat or lack of coffee- I don't think you quite 'got' Mark's post.

....and I thought he had! (i.e. that he was being sarcastic in return)
But yeah, it's unclear because it 'works' either way.

#2117640 - 07/14/13 06:24 PM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: Mark_C]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

BTW, is it a 'he' or 'she'? wink

I was confused because you and I disagree with Mwm. Calling Beethoven lousy at modulation is a serious accusation, it basically implies that this man was an amateur who didn't know any better.

Whatever, it seems a bit late in the day to worry about it. Beethoven is so universally praised by the public and professionals alike as to make any perceived weaknesses irrelevant. And I do wonder: if Beethoven had been 'better' at modulation, how might that have impacted his music? Would it still be as profoundly stirring and communicative?

Something to think about.

#2117666 - 07/14/13 07:38 PM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: argerichfan]
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member

BTW, is it a 'he' or 'she'? wink

I was confused because you and I disagree with Mwm. Calling Beethoven lousy at modulation is a serious accusation, it basically implies that this man was an amateur who didn't know any better.

Whatever, it seems a bit late in the day to worry about it. Beethoven is so universally praised by the public and professionals alike as to make any perceived weaknesses irrelevant. And I do wonder: if Beethoven had been 'better' at modulation, how might that have impacted his music? Would it still be as profoundly stirring and communicative?

Something to think about.

He, meaning me, got it.
While I rank Beethoven amongst the greatest composers, I don't particularly enjoy listening to his music. I do like playing it however, and my audiences have always been appreciative. As to your thought if B had been better at modulation, I think it would have had a profound effect on future composers. They would not have had a wonder tutorial from B. on how not to modulate. The closest composer I can think of to follow in B.'s footsteps was Prokofiev, and maybe Poulenc, but they had the advantage of a larger harmonic vocabulary.

#2117706 - 07/14/13 08:38 PM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: Mwm]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Boulez has written some works for (or including) piano, but he's not a first-rate concert pianist (unless I'm seriously missing out on something). Apparently he failed the entrance exam for piano performance at the conservatoire playing the same piece that Debussy failed with previously.
Franck - Violin Sonata

#2117712 - 07/14/13 08:44 PM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: Mwm]
pianoloverus Offline

Loc: New York City

While I rank Beethoven amongst the greatest composers, I don't particularly enjoy listening to his music. I do like playing it however, and my audiences have always been appreciative.
How can one enjoy playing music one does not like to listen to?

#2117720 - 07/14/13 08:51 PM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: pianoloverus]
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus

While I rank Beethoven amongst the greatest composers, I don't particularly enjoy listening to his music. I do like playing it however, and my audiences have always been appreciative.

Don't know, never thought about it. I am prepping the Beethoven Op. 69 Cello Sonata for performance in the fall and loving it. In all my long life I have never heard a performance, recorded or live of this work until a month ago. I listened to the youtube of Gould and Rose. Very cool. Gould plays with the lid fully up but has the piano facing the back wall, which means Rose is on his left. It works really well from a blend standpoint. Gould can play right out.

#2117726 - 07/14/13 08:57 PM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: Mwm]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
As to your thought if B had been better at modulation, I think it would have had a profound effect on future composers. They would not have had a wonder tutorial from B. on how not to modulate. The closest composer I can think of to follow in B.'s footsteps was Prokofiev, and maybe Poulenc, but they had the advantage of a larger harmonic vocabulary.

Would you perhaps provide an example of a modulation or two in Beethoven that you find particularly inept? That would help.

#2117730 - 07/14/13 09:03 PM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: Mwm]
pianoloverus Offline

Don't know, never thought about it. I am prepping the Beethoven Op. 69 Cello Sonata for performance in the fall and loving it. In all my long life I have never heard a performance, recorded or live of this work until a month ago. I listened to the youtube of Gould and Rose. Very cool. Gould plays with the lid fully up but has the piano facing the back wall, which means Rose is on his left. It works really well from a blend standpoint. Gould can play right out.
My point was it seems incredibly illogical to say you don't like listening to Beethoven but say you enjoy playing it. Don't you listen while you play?

#2117732 - 07/14/13 09:06 PM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: pianoloverus]
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member

My point was it seems incredibly illogical to say you don't like listening to Beethoven but say you enjoy playing it. Don't you listen while you play?

Of course, but there is subtle difference between playing a sonata and being assulted by 700 inept choristers who think B. 9 was actually written by god.

#2117736 - 07/14/13 09:12 PM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: Mwm]
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member

Which reminds me of an interview with the head of music for the Salvation Army. He receives numerous compositions from members and accepts a few and rejects many. One composer complained to him about having his composition rejected as it was dictated to him directly by God. The good music director said "I have no doubt that it was dictated to you by God, but you must of written it down wrong."

Edited by Mwm (07/14/13 09:13 PM)

#2117738 - 07/14/13 09:13 PM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: Mwm]
pianoloverus Offline

Of course, but there is subtle difference between playing a sonata and being assulted by 700 inept choristers who think B. 9 was actually written by god.
Now it seems like you mean you don't like to listen to what you consider to be poor performances of Beethoven which is completely different.

#2117739 - 07/14/13 09:15 PM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: pianoloverus]
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member

Now it seems like you mean you don't like to listen to what you consider to be poor performances of Beethoven which is completely different.

You are digging too deep. Accept the fact I don't particulaly like Beethoven. Is that a sin? I am not asking you to dislike Beethoven.

#2117740 - 07/14/13 09:15 PM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: Mwm]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

...I don't particulaly like Beethoven. Is that a sin?

Of course. wink

Polyphonist

#2117741 - 07/14/13 09:17 PM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: Polyphonist]
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist

Of course. wink

Is it deadly? Do I have six more left?

#2117742 - 07/14/13 09:18 PM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: Mwm]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Of course. wink

No, I'm afraid not liking Beethoven counts for all seven.

Polyphonist

#2117745 - 07/14/13 09:22 PM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: Polyphonist]
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member

Of course. wink

Sing a requiem in my honour, preferably not one by Beethoven. Did he write any?

#2117746 - 07/14/13 09:24 PM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: Mwm]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Of course. wink

I'll put a record of Beethoven's complete works on repeat in your grave, to run for eternity.

Polyphonist

#2117748 - 07/14/13 09:26 PM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: Polyphonist]
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member

Of course. wink

I'll put a record of Beethoven's complete works on repeat in your grave, to run for eternity.

I always knew I would suffer eternal damnation.

#2117751 - 07/14/13 09:40 PM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: Polyphonist]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Too bad you are so far away, we could listen to Beethoven to the accompaniment of a good hot Indian curry (I am an awesome cook) and a delectable French Chateauneuf-du-Pape.

Where shall we start? Let us ease into it with the early piano quartets, then just imagine how excited we will be when we arrive at the Op 2 sonatas!

Oh wait, Polyphonist, I forgot the Op 1 piano trios!

(Seriously, I heard a live performance of the Op1/3 at St. Bride's in London one rainy afternoon. It knocked my socks off.)

#2117755 - 07/14/13 09:54 PM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: Mwm]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

I am going to sign off. With all due respect, Beethoven has always been the most important composer in my life, and he was the one who first got me involved with classical music in the first place. (Not a bad thing, I should think?)

I have never looked back, and my gratitude has no bounds. Just the other day I heard a superb performance of the the D major cello sonata (Op 102), and once again I was in the presence of the Master. Thank-you, sir.

#2117764 - 07/14/13 10:16 PM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: Mark_C]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
You'll have to forgive Stores. He's jealous of people who know stuff that he doesn't and especially who think a little more complexly. ha

Trust me, if it's you that you believe I'm jealous of then you need to get yourself a life. If "complexly" is a rambling mishmash of incoherency then I'll happily remain a simple thinker.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#2117767 - 07/14/13 10:19 PM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: Mwm]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there

Actually, I think he was also lousy at modulation.

Good thing your thoughts on the subject mean nothing.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#2117773 - 07/14/13 10:26 PM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: argerichfan]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I am going to sign off. With all due respect, Beethoven has always been the most important composer in my life, and he was the one who first got me involved with classical music in the first place. (Not a bad thing, I should think?)

I have never looked back, and my gratitude has no bounds. Just the other day I heard a superb performance of the the D major cello sonata (Op 102), and once again I was in the presence of the Master. Thank-you, sir.

I agree completely, and I might add that the latest piano sonatas (from Opus 101 on) are some of the most sublime and transcendent works ever composed, in addition to pieces like the late string quartets, the Ninth Symphony, and the Diabelli Variations (the 33rd variation of which has never failed to bring me to tears).

Polyphonist

#2117897 - 07/15/13 06:31 AM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: argerichfan]
Verbum mirabilis Offline

Of course, why not Steve?

Except that Franck was a very fine keyboard player including the piano. His chamber music, if nothing else, attests to a highly idiomatic understanding of the piano.
Franck was an extremely proficient pianist (a prodigy) before he even took up the organ. I would rate the PC&F and PA&F amongst some of the greatest piano works of the 19th century, though many seem to disagree. As an organist I'm of course familiar with his organ works, but IMO Franck's successors -Widor and Vierne for example- wrote a lot more idiomatically for the organ. (That is not, however, to say their music is greater than Franck's.)

I'll just add that Frank once sightread the Hummel concerto in a minor a third lower than written.

Regarding the ongoing discussion about Beethoven, I too think he is one of the greatest composers ever (op. 111 is one of my favourite piano pieces, if not my all-time favourite) and I'd like to see a "lousy modulation" of his. I really mean this, if he did write bad modulations, I'd like to see an example or two.

Regarding the topic, Haydn hasn't been mentioned. He wasn't a virtuoso, but he could play the piano pretty well, so he is also in the "grey area". And he certainly composed great piano pieces.

IMHO Sibelius's piano music is great (and underappreciated), and Sibelius also didn't play the piano at a virtuoso level, altough it was the first instrument he learned (violin took over later).
Bach: P&F in D minor, book 2

#2117918 - 07/15/13 07:51 AM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: Mwm]
wr Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Accept the fact I don't particulaly like Beethoven.

Earlier in the thread you said you liked him. How quickly tastes change...

But hey, you are in pretty good company - IIRC, Debussy and Benjamin Britten had issues with Beethoven, too. And for some current composers, the entire esthetic world that Beethoven belonged to is too remote to even matter.

#2117942 - 07/15/13 09:27 AM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: stores]
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: stores

Actually, I think he was also lousy at modulation.

Good thing your thoughts on the subject mean nothing.

Each of the thoughts posted on PIano World is an opinion. There is no such thing as absolute or universal truth. There is only observed reality, and that reality applies to the observer alone. I say what I think, you say what you think. In the end only what you think matters to you. Live with it.

#2117968 - 07/15/13 11:04 AM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: Mark_C]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: guess where in CA and WA
HI Mark,

Let me throw some more gasoline on the fire:

"but be that as it may, Beethoven was not "lousy" at writing for voice, nor on anything else of any significance with music."

Actually he was not a great writer for the voice as any singer will tell you. I and many other also do not consider him a great melody writer generally.

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
1931 Bechstein C - now sold
http://www.triangleassociates-us.com/about_us (my day job)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Taubman (a recent article I wrote about one of my teachers)

#2117985 - 07/15/13 11:41 AM Re: Great Piano Music composed by Non Pianists [Re: laguna_greg]
Mark_C Online   content

Loc: New York
Let me throw some more gasoline on the fire:

"but be that as it may, Beethoven was not "lousy" at writing for voice, nor on anything else of any significance with music."

Actually he was not a great writer for the voice as any singer will tell you. I and many other also do not consider him a great melody writer generally.

Look at what you just said.

Actually, before we do, we need to know what you mean by "great."

But for the moment, I'll assume that great means great. grin

There's an awful lot of room between "lousy" and "great." I was just saying it's absurd to say he was lousy -- which it is.

So, you're not pouring fuel on the fire. You're offering to start a new fire, and I'm not getting into it. smile

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bottom of hammer hitting top of damper on upright
by JoeThePro
12/21/14 10:09 PM
Getting better
by Kekewak
12/21/14 07:35 PM
Pearl River vs. Samick
by Zekk
12/21/14 03:41 PM
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
12/21/14 02:19 PM
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
12/21/14 01:15 PM
Forum Stats
77391 Members
42 Forums
160048 Topics
2350350 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission