Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2118063 - 07/15/13 02:53 PM Method: how?'??
Lorcar Offline

hello everyone

38yo here, started again after a 25y+ iatus, last october i rented a yamaha silent and found a school.
I got my little satisfactions, but what kills me is the fact that "repetition" is the solution.
Just repeat. And if you dont think it works, repeat again. Repeat. Repeat.
TO be honest, I find it a bit monkey-style. Repeat, be faithful, until you get it right.
I think it's silly. THere should be a method to make the efforts and time spent studying most effective and most efficient, like in every other human field.
THe school is now closed for the summer break, and I am struggling on my own with how to use the pedal on Chopin Waltz num 10, 69,2...omg, so difficult for me.
But at least I get the finger on the right keys (i am talking first two pages only). How did i do it? repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat

i feel stupid. I am loosing interest in it. I am missing the beauty and the pleasure of it.
I am not saying I dont want to study, nor I dont want to spend hours bleeding on the bench. I am just asking for a method, a smart/rational/intelligent way to study, something which has been proven to work.
Any idea? any suggested reading? is Chang' book a method? anything worth online?

thanks really a lot in advance

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2118066 - 07/15/13 02:59 PM Re: Method: how?'?? [Re: Lorcar]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
I would suggest Graham Fitch's ebook series. Plenty of excellent advice, concise and to the point - http://practisingthepiano.com

#2118113 - 07/15/13 05:20 PM Re: Method: how?'?? [Re: Lorcar]
PaperClip Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Amsterdam, Holland
Just repeat 5 times, then move on to the next. Repeating smaller chunks 5 times a day is enough.You need sleep in between to learn the repetition.

Playing since May 02 2009

#2118117 - 07/15/13 05:33 PM Re: Method: how?'?? [Re: Lorcar]
Lorcar Offline

thanks
but which method do you guys use?

#2118120 - 07/15/13 05:41 PM Re: Method: how?'?? [Re: Lorcar]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
I recently got this book on practicing the piano, which has been quite helpful to me and might also be for you:

Practicing the Piano

In the meanwhile, Chang's book may have some good ideas for you, but remember that he was not so much of a pianist himself, as a parent who sat in on his childrens' lessons and took notes.

There are also a number of threads currently active which talk about practice methodology.

You are right in feeling that simple brute repetition is not the most intelligent way to practice. Progress is much aided by intelligent analysis of the piece and it's technical requirements, as well as patient and very detailed observation of exactly what is going wrong when a mistake occurs.

ETA:
Here's a web page on practicing that might give you some new ideas also.

Edited by tangleweeds (07/15/13 05:44 PM)

neglected piano blog

#2118122 - 07/15/13 05:43 PM Re: Method: how?'?? [Re: Lorcar]
PaperClip Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Amsterdam, Holland
I've read this, which was quite interesting:

The pianist's problems:a modern approach to efficient practice and musicianly performance by William S. Newman

Playing since May 02 2009

#2118124 - 07/15/13 05:45 PM Re: Method: how?'?? [Re: Lorcar]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
No "method" here other than breaking up into small phrases and repeating ad nauseum. However, I say "ad nauseum" but I do not get sick of it. I try to play even the shortest group of notes practiced as musically as I can. I play musically right from the beginning. It's not something I add after all the notes are learned. I feel this keeps me interested.

Truth is, that I have a sense of how I want things to sound like from the beginning. It just takes my fingers and brain a while to iron out the details. Music does not come easily to me. I repeat a lot to learn. It just "is". Used to do flash card drills with math skills as a kid. Repetition works. After all, you are creating new neural pathways as you learn fingering and notes of any given piece. This takes time. Well, unless you are really gifted. I'm not. I just work hard.

Edited by dynamobt (07/15/13 05:46 PM)

#2118126 - 07/15/13 05:50 PM Re: Method: how?'?? [Re: Lorcar]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
There are many ways to accomplish this so you're not banging your head against the wall. I am most familiar with the Taubman method, but there are many others. I sent you a PM.

#2118129 - 07/15/13 05:53 PM Re: Method: how?'?? [Re: Lorcar]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Its interesting that so many take a few years lessons up to the early teens, as I did. But what I picked up I ran with, using my ear a lot more than the music, I`m afraid.
I lack a lot o` finesse but I`ve had more fun playing with a couple o` bands and just developing as I saw fit. Playing what I wanted, and needed in order to remain viable. I needed to read a bit more music. Since arriving at this forum, I`ve read a lot more and I`m all the better for it. . . .but learning simple chords I would consider essential to development and fun.

""

#2118145 - 07/15/13 06:26 PM Re: Method: how?'?? [Re: Lorcar]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
I learn multiple pieces at once to relieve the resistance that some times comes when you don't want to work on a piece. a side benefit is you may have more than one piece complete almost together which is a great feeling of achievement

#2118172 - 07/15/13 07:31 PM Re: Method: how?'?? [Re: Lorcar]
StarvingLion Offline

Complete Theoretical and Practical Piano Forte School (3 volumes) by Carl Czerny

There is another book by Czerny "Letters to a girl...
where he explains how to use the 3 volumes

archive.org/details/completetheoreti01czer

#2118207 - 07/15/13 08:37 PM Re: Method: how?'?? [Re: Lorcar]
jdw Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
If you are analytically minded, you might be interested in the Taubman approach. It's never about brute repetition, always problem solving. My husband is an adult beginner who's been practice-averse since childhood--couldn't stand just doing things over and over. He finds it fascinating. You have to have the right focus and persistence, though, and a good teacher!

I see Derulux has made a suggestion earlier in the thread.
Mozart, K 330
Brahms, Op. 118 no. 2

#2118246 - 07/15/13 09:35 PM Re: Method: how?'?? [Re: Lorcar]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
Lorcar, I have read your post, here:

38yo here, started again after a 25y+ iatus, last october i rented a yamaha silent and found a school.
I got my little satisfactions, but what kills me is the fact that "repetition" is the solution.
TO be honest, I find it a bit monkey-style. Repeat, be faithful, until you get it right.
I think it's silly. THere should be a method to make the efforts and time spent studying most effective and most efficient, like in every other human field.
THe school is now closed for the summer break, and I am struggling on my own with how to use the pedal on Chopin Waltz num 10, 69,2...omg, so difficult for me.
But at least I get the finger on the right keys (i am talking first two pages only). How did i do it? repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat

i feel stupid. I am loosing interest in it. I am missing the beauty and the pleasure of it.
I am not saying I dont want to study, nor I dont want to spend hours bleeding on the bench. I am just asking for a method, a smart/rational/intelligent way to study, something which has been proven to work.
Any idea? any suggested reading? is Chang' book a method? anything worth online?

Fortunately, you, better than others, knows what it takes to play the piano.

If you only wish to play music in the beginner book, you should be able to play it without repeating anything, just read the notes and play the music.

I have been playing a little over a year and I can't play anything famous yet, so you are way, way, way ahead of everybody else when you say this

>>>> Chopin Waltz num 10, 69,2...omg, so difficult for me.

Everybody in this forum would be impressed because you can play Chopin Op. 10.

I am still dreaming and working as hard as I can to be able playing anything in the John Thompson grade 1 book and there are no opus numbers on those pieces.

If you remember the books or music you learned from a quarter of a century ago, it would probably be easier because you have played it before.

#2118332 - 07/16/13 01:31 AM Re: Method: how?'?? [Re: Lorcar]
outo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Finland
I don't believe in countless repetitions at all, because it never worked for me.

I try to repeat only as long as I can stay really focused, after that I move to something else. After a day I come back to it and usually it's a little better. I need to have several pieces to have enough to work on for an hour or two. I also divide the pieces to smaller sections that I practice. On one 2 hour practice session I usually work on one thing (piece, section of a piece, scale, arpeggio) only about 5-10 minutes (or even less), that's all I can handle before my mind starts to wander. Usually about 5 repetitions of doing an exact same thing is too much, I start getting sloppy.

I am naturally inclined to get bored easily and when I do the analytical side of my mind starts solving problems not related to what I am currently doing. Not a good thing when learning piano and I have gradually learned to do anything I can to avoid that state of mind. Practicing something while a part of your mind is doing something else is complete waste of time.

Sometimes the whole piece gets into a state where I cannot focus on it anymore. Then it helps to leave it, let it be partly forgotten. Then come back to it and it's again a challenge that can keep my interest up. In a way it is frustrating to start again and I feel tempted to just keep on playing some piece, so that I won't forget what I have already memorized. But I have seen that every time I come back, the process is quicker and the results are better, so I force myself to leave them for a while. The same thing applies to my practicing. I am always unwilling to let go of drilling something, because I feel that I must get it now. But I tell myself that even though it doesn't feel like it, it will be better tomorrow if I just drop it before drilling gets sloppy and makes more harm than good.

I don't know if this makes sense until one has gone through the process of understanding it in one's own learning process. The problem with methods is that often just reading about how to "practice smart" is not quite the same as realizing what works yourself. Unfortunately people often give up before they start understanding what actually works for them.

And I guess it is possible that some people actually can stay focused on a task for countless repetitions, but I certainly can not. Probably has something to do with the power struggle always going on with the different parts of the brain smile

Edited by outo (07/16/13 01:38 AM)

#2118383 - 07/16/13 03:40 AM Re: Method: how?'?? [Re: tangleweeds]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
Originally Posted By: Lorcar
THere should be a method to make the efforts and time spent studying most effective and most efficient, like in every other human field.

There very much is, however, it varies a bit between each and every individual (not that every individual certainly has it) because, just like art, practicing is a very personal thing. What works for one person very well may not work for another. That being said, there are certain "recommendations" (I would say guidelines, but playing the piano is an art - there are no "rules" grin ) one can follow when spending their time trying to improve.

I'd start with the resource tangleweeds posted on the topic of establishing an efficient and productive routine:
Originally Posted By: tangleweeds
Here's a web page on practicing that might give you some new ideas also.

And because the consolidated summary provided there wasn't collected by the original author, read on Here where I tried to fill in holes that may have been left by summarizer, Richard Kant.

#2118398 - 07/16/13 05:28 AM Re: Method: how?'?? [Re: Lorcar]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
Lorcar, I have read your post, here:

If you go to a guitar store or a music store, you will see it is packed with mostly guys but women, too.

How many people do you know that can play the guitar well?

I am 63 and I only knew one guy in college in 1969 who used to sit on the stairs and sing and play the guitar. I know nobody that plays the piano except when I was 15, I knew two sisters who had a older brother who played classical music on the piano.

So the point is, that few people want to dedicate themselves enough to be able to play a musical instrument. But that is true about, any sports or any activity.

I tried a painting course - I can't draw - and to mix colour and match the colour yellow of the banana
took me many, many, many days and I still didn't get the yellow exactly, not even close, but it was a yellow. So now I know why paintings of any size or quality cost a fortune, because it is extremely difficult to do.

To be able to play the piano, you have to be committed to do what it takes. You have to enjoy the journey. What do I love?? I love to play the piano be it a beginner piece or something I have to struggle with. This last piece of 21 measures took me 8 days to be able to crawl through the piece slowly without errors, but it will take me probably 2 or 3 months to play it smoothly and musically. It could take me longer.

I will tell you this. I have lots of learning difficulties, but if you play any pieces you are learning, slower than a turtle crawls, slowly and without mistakes, it is a cakewalk because there is no stress, just play it slowly and the speed and smoothness will happen. If you push or try to push, you will be frustrated because the brain likes it slow and easy. You can fight the world but you can't fight the brain.

cheers, and join the crowd,

Edited by Michael_99 (07/16/13 05:31 AM)

#2118712 - 07/16/13 07:25 PM Re: Method: how?'?? [Re: Michael_99]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Michael_99
Everybody in this forum would be impressed because you can play Chopin Op. 10.

Wait, he never said he could play Chopin Opus 10, did he? Or am I missing something?

Polyphonist

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Questions for those that use dremel for hammer shaping.
by UnrightTooner
21 minutes 58 seconds ago
Pianoteq vs Digital Piano vs Acoustic Piano
by wildpig
Yesterday at 11:57 PM
Baldwin Hamilton 1941
by JMN12
Yesterday at 11:13 PM
Tucson, AZ: Is Arizona Room a bad place for a piano?
by Paul678
Yesterday at 08:14 PM
Kissin plays...
by JoelW
Yesterday at 07:33 PM
Who's Online
79 registered (Allard, ando, Alex75001, barbaram, 25 invisible), 1014 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76224 Members
42 Forums
157574 Topics
2314574 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission