Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2118111 - 07/15/13 05:15 PM If you use Jazz, Rags, and Blues Martha Mier
MaggieGirl Offline

Would you have books 2,3 or 4? My daughter said that she is tired of songs that are only 2 pages long because as soon as you play it well, the fun is over too quickly. Do the arrangements get longer as the levels goes up? I have to order the books unseen because the music store doesn't keep them in stock.

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2118175 - 07/15/13 07:46 PM Re: If you use Jazz, Rags, and Blues Martha Mier [Re: MaggieGirl]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
I'm hitting some 3 pagers in Book 3.
You can see the table of contents for some of the books on Amazon.

#2118252 - 07/15/13 09:43 PM Re: If you use Jazz, Rags, and Blues Martha Mier [Re: MaggieGirl]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: MaggieGirl
My daughter said that she is tired of songs that are only 2 pages long because as soon as you play it well, the fun is over too quickly.

I don't follow this logic.

FWIW, I've taught books 2, 3, and 4, and honestly they all start to sound the same, especially the rags. There are other books and styles of music to consider at this level.

#2118295 - 07/15/13 11:42 PM Re: If you use Jazz, Rags, and Blues Martha Mier [Re: AZNpiano]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: AZNpiano
FWIW, I've taught books 2, 3, and 4, and honestly they all start to sound the same, especially the rags. There are other books and styles of music to consider at this level.

-sad clown-

I love the Mier pieces that I've heard, in that they fill an important niche. Ragtime doesn't have the 100s of years of tradition that has yielded a wide spectrum of good music at many difficulty levels. The Mier pieces I've heard are a great introduction. Ragtime had a scant 20 or so years before turning into pretty much all of 20th century popular music.

Within that 20 years, you get a really nice spectrum of great music. The harmonic palette is certainly restricted, but there's still a wealth of great stuff. Add in ragtime of the '60s, '70s and later... well, there's just so much beautiful music there.

#2118352 - 07/16/13 01:50 AM Re: If you use Jazz, Rags, and Blues Martha Mier [Re: MaggieGirl]
MaggieGirl Offline

For now she really likes them. The duet books as well. As long as she is interested and happy, what is the harm? She just wants longer pieces. I don't think her teacher will mind if I skip to book 3 or 4. She plays these to supplement.

What other pieces would you suggest? She is learning Maple Leaf Rag as her big work this month or so.

I realize there are other styles of music, but she loves to play this style. She listens to lots of music, but Satie is probably a little beyond Alfred book 4. laugh

#2118367 - 07/16/13 02:31 AM Re: If you use Jazz, Rags, and Blues Martha Mier [Re: MaggieGirl]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: MaggieGirl
What other pieces would you suggest? She is learning Maple Leaf Rag as her big work this month or so.
I'm assuming you mean one of the many arrangements of the Maple Leaf Rag, because the real version is quite difficult.

Has your daughter learned music by Melody Bober? Jennifer Linn? Carol Klose? There are all kinds of styles featured the works of these pedagogical composers. Bober's Romantic Rhapsodies are pretty good (among dozens of other works). Linn has a bunch of really good books out, in particular American Impressions. Klose's Coral Reef Suite and Desert Suite are excellent.

#2118385 - 07/16/13 03:46 AM Re: If you use Jazz, Rags, and Blues Martha Mier [Re: MaggieGirl]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
I have book 2 and there are several 3 page pieces.

#2118420 - 07/16/13 07:26 AM Re: If you use Jazz, Rags, and Blues Martha Mier [Re: AZNpiano]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted By: AZNpiano

FWIW, I've taught books 2, 3, and 4, and honestly they all start to sound the same...

Very true from a student's perspective too.

#2118427 - 07/16/13 07:43 AM Re: If you use Jazz, Rags, and Blues Martha Mier [Re: MaggieGirl]
Chris H. Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK.
I think they are nice pieces and my students have enjoyed playing them. It's true that they are very similar though. Basically you get quick jazzy pieces with swing rhythm, slow blues and ragtime and any one of each sounds much the same as another. Mind you it does tell you that in the title 'Jazz, rags and blues' so it shouldn't come as much of a surprise!

#2118446 - 07/16/13 09:12 AM Re: If you use Jazz, Rags, and Blues Martha Mier [Re: Chris H.]
MaggieGirl Offline

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure what version of Maple Leaf, but I'm sure it's some sort of student version.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
U.S. Treasury Auctioning Steinway Art Case Concert Grand
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
80 registered (AZ_Astro, barbaram, AndrewJCW, 36251, 26 invisible), 1333 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156082 Topics
2292041 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
An original piece on home-made electric guitar
by gsmonks
6 minutes 24 seconds ago
Is it worth upgrading to a 7200 RPM hard disk?
by CarloPiano
Today at 05:04 AM
Another Improvisation
by Polyphonist
Today at 02:55 AM
4/4 measure in 3/4 time?
by caters
Today at 01:10 AM
Mac mini for software pianos?
by Mta88
Today at 01:10 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission