2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, 14 invisible), 1,919 guests, and 357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2118224 07/15/13 09:01 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Hi all! I gave my 1962 Wurlitzer studio a tune the other day. It was only down to an A437. And both the strings to the D key broke. Its in the octave which the copper wound strings change over to the steel wire (D3). I have gone through 6 of my replacement strings that had been given to me from years ago and it just keeps breaking ! I'm getting highly frustrated. They make it up to an A, then snap. They never make it. Any ideas? I'm loosing my patience quick. I need some advice! Thanks!

Wurlitzer Studio Upright Piano- Built in 1963
Manager
Tuner / Technician
Kenyon Piano Service
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Where are they breaking? All in the same spot? Wrong size string?

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
N
N
Might want to check for a rough spot or bent bridge pin somewhere, could be binding up and putting the squeeze on the string in that specific spot.

J. Christie
Nashville Piano Rescue
www.NashvillePianoRescue.com
East Nashville
Bowling Green, KY
Scottsville KY.
Chamber of Commerce
Member/Sponsor

Putting inspiration in the hands of area musicians
Through restoration/renovation
B
OP Offline
B
It's all breaking near the tuning pin area. I've made sure that the copper winding is the same thickness as the original. I'm confused as to what this could be.

Wurlitzer Studio Upright Piano- Built in 1963
Manager
Tuner / Technician
Kenyon Piano Service
C
C
Assuming that this is a 900 scale, the D3 will be the last wound bi-chord below the break, with one
wound bi-chord above the break. It is a common problem in small scales to have the strings immediately
below that break be at an extremely high percent of the breaking point. There isn't much room for
an error in wire size. If you're a half size off, you will just keep breaking strings. I suggest
downloading Scale Ripper and plugging in the measurements for those strings. It will calculate the
% of breaking point. If so, use the software to adjust the wire gauges slightly to bring it down
to about 60%.

Craig Miller RPT
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
jdgrandt.com

Dear Benny,

John, up at JDGrandt Strings, can also rescale your problem strings for you. Sending in measurements of the hitch to forward bridge-pin and then the speaking length, will allow a change in the scaling to help prevent your breakage problem. Their website explains the information needed.

There are many reasons for strings breaking, however.
1. Angle; If you are wrapping the strings too high, and the tuning pins are sitting too far above the bearing bar, the angle can be too much for the string to handle. POP! Make sure you are giving the tuning pins the correct height, before putting the new coil/string in place. Likewise; too low can be a problem, if there is only a bearing pin in the plate. Match the neighbors!
2. Bearing; Nicks on the upper plate bearing pin or bearing bar can also bind the string and load that upper segment too far.
3. Excessive twist; Sometimes we get too aggressive on putting a tightening twist on the bass wraps. All you need is a twist or so...I only put a twist in the direction of the wraps until I feel resistance and stop. This is rarely more than 1 to 1.5. More can cause problems and lead to breakage or a dull-sounding string.

I don't generally find a breakage problem in Wurlies. They are a solid and reliable instrument, in general. Take a hard look at the string/pin heights, and the wear on the bearing points. Otherwise....do consider a minor change in the scaling to reduce breaking strain on those wires.

Not a saleman,
for JDGrandt.com,
but their strings,
have helped me!
I remain,
Yr. svt.,

Jeffrey T. Hickey, RPT
Oregon Coast Piano Services
TunerJeff440@aol.com

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission