Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2118606 - 07/16/13 03:52 PM Teaching a child with Cerebral Palsy
Destiny123 Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I have taken on a new student who is friends with a current student of mine. She is 9 years old and has CP; I was not told this initially but I am up for the challenge. I have been told that she cannot walk but has equal mobility in both of her hands. Our first lesson is next week.

Does anyone have experience teaching a child with Cerebral Palsy. Is it possible to use a method book? I generally use Piano Adventures.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2118688 - 07/16/13 06:23 PM Re: Teaching a child with Cerebral Palsy [Re: Destiny123]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
CP affects people differently. It is not a cognitive disease, so any method book should be fine. You'll have to evaluate her physical characteristics as you work with her.

I had a CP student years ago and found him a most delightful student. He had severe limitations with his hands, but he found such joy in what he was able to accomplish. By the time I moved away, he was studying in Music Pathways C.

#2118887 - 07/17/13 02:18 AM Re: Teaching a child with Cerebral Palsy [Re: Destiny123]
Saranoya Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brussels, Belgium
Hi Destiny,

I'm not a piano teacher. I am, however, a piano student with Cerebral Palsy.

Cerebral Palsy is a term that covers many different kinds of movement disorders, and they can all affect people to varying degrees. In some, it affects all four limbs. In some, only the lower limbs are involved, or only the right or left side of the body. The way in which movement is impaired also differs. Some people have too much muscle tone and spasticity (which is the inability for a muscle to adequately respond to certain kinds of voluntary movement) or athetosis (near-constant involuntary movements). Some people have too little muscle tone and/or ataxia (difficulty with balance and fine motor skills) and sometimes vision problems. Some people have a combination of all of the above.

From what you've written, I'm going to assume that your nine-year-old probably has the same kind of CP that I do, which is spastic diplegia. It affects only the lower limbs, although there can be some 'sympathetic' impairment in the upper limbs, if the lower limbs are affected severely enough. It manifests primarily as elevated muscle tone in the affected limbs, along with range of motion difficulties caused by spasticity.

For playing the piano, this shouldn't cause any big problems, unless and until you start trying to teach her to use the pedal (which will then require some creativity on both your parts and, depending on the severity of her condition, may not be possible at all). Before that, she may progress a little more slowly than the average student (because CP kids usually have trouble automating motor skills), and you may or may not have to compromise on posture while playing.

But I don't get the impression, from your post, that you have actually met this girl yet. That, I can tell you right now, will be far and away the most important factor.

Her CP might be so mild as to be almost unnoticeable, in which case you shouldn't worry about it at all. I know of a professional clarinetist who has spastic hemiplegia (the same kind of CP we were talking about above, except that it affects only her left arm and leg). She was in the same graduating class as my music theory teacher, who just finished conservatory. So obviously, whatever motor difficulties she has are not a very significant impairment to her progress as a musician.

But even if it isn't that mild, my advice to people asking questions about how to teach those with any kind of disability is always going to be the same: never assume any of your students' limitations are an insurmountable hurdle, unless it's clear that the student has no interest in surmounting it.

Teach her the same way you would teach any other student. Do this even if her parents are worried that you might not be able to. When I was little, my mother had the well-meaning but annoying habit of writing letters to my teachers before I'd even met them, in which she wrote something to the effect of me being 'a child with limited potential'. Some teachers knew what to do with that (i.e., ignore it and see for themselves what I was capable of). Others took her at her word, and lowered their expectations accordingly. Which meant they didn't dare to challenge me, which meant they ultimately taught me very little.

You should assume that nothing is impossible. If it *is*, in fact, impossible, the girl may not tell you, but you will know. A student who is physically incapable of doing something looks very different from one who can't do it because she isn't trying, or not trying correctly.

That's my advice. If you have any other questions, I'm here. But if you go at this with the expectation that it won't be all that different from teaching anyone else, then I believe it will work out beautifully. The most important thing is for you to believe that, too.

Oh, by the way, as Minniemay said: CP is not, in and of itself, a disorder that affects cognitive abilities. Sometimes (mostly in severe cases) it affects the ability to speak clearly, which can give those who don't know any better the impression that something is wrong on the cognitive level. But in CP, any difficulty speaking is purely a matter of physical impairment.

I hope you can tell from my posts here that I am in no way cognitively impaired, despite the fact that I use a wheelchair due to my CP. Assume the same is true of your student.

Currently Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Burgmüller 100/3, 4, 7, 12, 15, 19, 25
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9

Future
Burgmüller 109
Bartok Sz 56
Mozart K331

#2118949 - 07/17/13 07:53 AM Re: Teaching a child with Cerebral Palsy [Re: Destiny123]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Very well said Sara. I'm glad you didn't see yourself as having 'limited potential!'

#2119368 - 07/18/13 12:03 AM Re: Teaching a child with Cerebral Palsy [Re: Destiny123]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Splendid post, Saranoya. I had a high school age girl with CP as a piano student some years ago. She came to me at about age 17, though first her mom - who was in education herself - suggested I read a bit about CP, and then simply be mindful that her lovely daughter had some spatial difficulties (discerning left from right at the piano, for example, or negotiating her way to and from my house). Otherwise, Mom hoped I would treat her daughter normally, and might work with her at theory, composition, and piano, so she could pursue her dreams of songwriting.

Daughter and I worked together for 2 or 3 wonderful years, and I scarcely was aware of this apparent disorder, since my student was intensely musical, quite intelligent, and motivated to do her best. She also sang like an angel, and wrote mature poetry. We had a great time together, and any piano teacher would have been proud to count her as a pupil.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Marche Funèbre d'une Marionette
by Minnesota Marty
09/21/14 10:09 AM
Tired and groggy
by PhilipInChina
09/21/14 08:26 AM
Digital piano key noise
by bigsmile
09/21/14 03:15 AM
Hans von Bulow's piano
by phantomFive
09/21/14 01:57 AM
Rubinstein teaching style
by phantomFive
09/21/14 01:52 AM
Who's Online
146 registered (accordeur, A Guy, Alex75001, aesop, 36251, 51 invisible), 1375 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76260 Members
42 Forums
157665 Topics
2315860 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission