Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
74 registered (beet31425, Beemer, A2mom, Ben_NZ, AZNpiano, 17 invisible), 1086 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2118644 - 07/16/13 04:57 PM Original Composition - Night
grandview Offline

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#2118724 - 07/16/13 07:43 PM Re: Original Composition - Night [Re: grandview]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
First of all, there is no time signature at the beginning of your piece. This is mandatory. Your intended time signature appears to be common time, or 4/4.

Additionally, you have not put a single dynamic or phrase marking or expression of any kind anywhere throughout the entire piece. This leaves the would-be performer very little to go on when reading through the score.

When you write a fermata for one hand, you MUST put a fermata in the other staff as well. You make this error in many places throughout the work, namely bars 86, 110, and 117.

Much of your notation is confusing because you don't show where the beats are. This makes the score very difficult to read. For example, in the LH of the first bar, instead of notating it as two dotted quarters and a quarter, it should be a dotted quarter, an eighth tied to another quarter, and then the final quarter. This shows the pianist where the 3rd beat is (the most important in the bar, besides the first, when in common time). This type of notation problem continues throughout the work.

I'll leave it at that for now. Once you've corrected your score, THEN we can begin talking about the music itself.

Polyphonist

#2118827 - 07/16/13 10:55 PM Re: Original Composition - Night [Re: grandview]
rada Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: pagosa springs,co
Well my comments will be a bit contrasting to those posted above.....variety is the spice of life I suppose.

When I didn't see a time signature I thought maybe old rules of writing don't necessarily have to apply. It seemed obvious to figure the time. As far as writing dynamics I'll tell you why that doesn't bother me. I feel music has its' natural ebb and flow and while we all may have slightly different interpretations I like to play it as I feel rather that according to dynamics. Maybe Beethoven and Mozart wouldn't like that.

Thank-you for sharing because I always like to learn what I can from other ideas.

While I liked some of your ideas it was a bit repetitive for me. Some people really like that so I wouldn't take offense to that thought.

rada

#2118877 - 07/17/13 01:34 AM Re: Original Composition - Night [Re: rada]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: rada
Well my comments will be a bit contrasting to those posted above.....variety is the spice of life I suppose.
I also can't seem to agree with Polyphonist...

You see despite the "errors" in the score (to most of which I don't really agree also) the music IS there, so he could very well comment on that... wink

In any case the time signature would most probably be 8/8 and the first part goes 3+3+2 so there's no need to change that really...

For everything else, once I have some time to sit on the piano, I'll let you know ! ^_^

#2118897 - 07/17/13 03:16 AM Re: Original Composition - Night [Re: grandview]
Derulux Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
One of the few times I've been caught near my poor underplayed keyboard, and can I say: thank god. I found this very easy to read. The music lends itself to its own dynamics, and I had no trouble deciding what I felt was the "tone" of the piece. The lack of notation did not bother me. (If, however, you want performers to play it "your way", you may consider adding some more instructions for them.)

When I first looked at the notes, I thought it would be a very simple piece. And it was -- deceptively simple, yet elegant. In fact, I was so surprised by how much I enjoyed playing through it, I played it twice.

A couple notes:

1. The transition between key change and rhythm felt a little rough.. almost like we were switching gears without a clutch. I thought maybe a quarter - eighth note might easy that transition rhythmically--like in m24--and then "echo" with the straight quarters. (Ex: m59 quarter-eighth, m60 quarter-quarter.) But Nikolas might have better ideas when he has a chance to sit down and look through it.

2. The first fermata - have you considered a ritardando there? I didn't feel like I needed to stop completely, but just slow down a tad on the rising line before resuming.

3. m66 -- you probably intend the dissonance of the D-natural. On my first run-through, I didn't like it. On the second, I did. I thought about a D-flat, but after the second run-through, I'm not so sure.

4. Second fermata - I actually tried a fermata on the F# and thought it was a little more natural for the pickup to the return of the first theme. Maybe a rit. here, too? If you pause on the last note until the sound nearly fades, it kind of works, but I'm not a big fan (artistic preference, but by no means "wrong" or "right").

5. Last fermata - didn't like it. Played with a slight rit, but no stopping. Same reasons as #4. Just food for thought.

I did a little improvising with it, and I think you have some room for more notes/rhythms as the theme returns and develops over the course of the piece. It's nice and simple the way it is, with a great sound (especially that main theme), but if you wanted to change it up, you certainly have some room to breathe.

I'd be interested to hear more of Nikolas' thoughts on this, since my first impression was that this fell in/near his "genre"...

#2119031 - 07/17/13 11:33 AM Re: Original Composition - Night [Re: grandview]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
It took me a while to get the feel for the rhythm. I found the smattering of whole rest bars detracted from that rhythm and feel some way to maintain said rhythm (in the accompaniment) would help maintain the unity of the piece. Bars such as 8, 16, 20 and 23 (and similar) also detract from the rhythm. It's definitely not in 4/4 so a time signature would certainly be more helpful, especially since at bar 55 it starts to become 4/4 and is definitely so at bar 57. The rhythm is the biggest challenge (modest as it is) of this piece and that lends character to the musical ideas which otherwise wouldn't have much. Frankly, I'd like to hear a recording.

#2119117 - 07/17/13 02:38 PM Re: Original Composition - Night [Re: grandview]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
This argument is proving my point that there must be a time signature - look at all the disagreement going on over what the time signature might have been intended to be!

Nikolas, I guess we're just perceiving the music in different ways - I, for one, have trouble reading in 8/8 with 3+3+2 divisions within bars, because I'm not used to it. You said you disagree with my corrections - so you don't think there should be a time signature, and you don't think that if there's a fermata in one staff there should be one in the other staves as well? wink

Polyphonist

#2119306 - 07/17/13 09:23 PM Re: Original Composition - Night [Re: Polyphonist]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
This argument is proving my point that there must be a time signature - look at all the disagreement going on over what the time signature might have been intended to be!

Nikolas, I guess we're just perceiving the music in different ways - I, for one, have trouble reading in 8/8 with 3+3+2 divisions within bars, because I'm not used to it. You said you disagree with my corrections - so you don't think there should be a time signature, and you don't think that if there's a fermata in one staff there should be one in the other staves as well? wink

I'm inclined to agree. The dichotomy between the two rhythmic sections is significant and that should be reflected in the time signature. In Finale you can specify a time signature of 3+3+2 over 8 and that would accurately reflect the rhythmic intent of the first section (and end) and draw appropriate contrast with the 4/4 section.

#2120269 - 07/19/13 05:57 PM Re: Original Composition - Night [Re: grandview]
grandview Offline

Thank you all for your comments. Obviously my notation could use some work! Here is a clip of me playing the song, for those who are interested in knowing what I actually intended for it to sound like:

http://www.reverbnation.com/bairdmusic/song/8721693-night-in-the-woods

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to determine felt thickness without specifications?
by JoeThePro
Today at 01:09 AM
Trill technique question
by pianolearnerstride
Yesterday at 10:19 PM
Anyone use a seat cushion?
by DeadPoets
Yesterday at 08:48 PM
Lester Betsy Ross Spinet- worth?
by cobalt60
Yesterday at 08:22 PM
How deep into the tuning hammer should pin go?
by JoeThePro
Yesterday at 07:37 PM
Forum Stats
77362 Members
42 Forums
160006 Topics
2349690 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission