2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (36251, Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 6 invisible), 1,092 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I don'[ allow sick students in the studio. I have 6-7 group lessons per year that can be used as make-up lessons. I also have a swap list (new this year). We'll see how it goes.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
My teacher has one excused absence per 16 week semester. The student must cancel 24 hours before the lesson to be able to make the lesson up. There is a "make up week" following he 16 regular weeks of lessons. Paying for a semester at a time and having a regular lesson time is a joy!!! I was taking from a college music teacher who would cancel lessons all the time because of her busy schedule. I do better with a lesson every week. It hold me accountable. Otherwise, it's too easy not to practice!!

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

S
S
@dynamobt
i think the best part about lessons is that my pride will not let me not practice because showing up with 0 practice would be SO embarassing.

my first real lesson i showed up with no practice, i honestly didn't know i had to practice every day and the teacher owned me haha. never again.

"Doesn't practicing on the piano suck?!?!"
"The joy is in the practicing. It's like relationships. Yeah, orgasms are awesome, but you can't make love to someone who you have no relationship with!"
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
When my teacher was cancelling lessons, it got easy for me to cancel lessons. Result was some serious inconsistency!!! I really like having a regularly scheduled lesson that I can count on happening. We catch areas I have practiced incorrectly more quickly before they are thoroughly ingrained in my mind and fingers.

I was terrible at effective practice as a kid. Oh, I had to practice EVERY day!! I just don't think I got much done. Now is a bit better as an adult. I realize I really want to play more difficult music. And that isn't going to happen by just showing up at lessons. I have to apply myself!!! Plus, I'm running out of time! Not getting any younger!!

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I operate with a 'no makeup' policy. I can also choose to alter that policy, depending upon the student (their consistency and commitment to lessons), the parent (are they easy to get along with, pay their tuition on time, etc...) and my schedule. There is no way I could have such a policy if I were canceling lessons several times a year for various conflicts, illnesses, and such.

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
If this is not a recurring incident (it does not sound like it is as you state the student is usually well prepared) I would encourage the parent(s) to honor the lesson anyway as we could still work on the 'unpracticed' material together. However, if I perceived continued hesistation I would suggest a make-up if time allowed and if it made sense, or I would simply say I'll see them next time.* It's not the end of the world if a student misses a lesson now and then. It's a problem only when a missed lesson is indicative of a disinterested student or undisciplined parent.

*(I should disclaim that I was not dependent on teaching for the main source of my income which allowed me to be quite flexible in my studio policy.)

Last edited by Bernard; 07/17/13 01:03 AM.

"Hunger for growth will come to you in the form of a problem." -- unknown
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by laguna_greg
Hi Gary,

It's not hard at all. You stand "en loco parentis". Grow a spine.

Is this to me personally? "Grow a spine?"

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Originally Posted by laguna_greg
Hi Gary,

It's not hard at all. You stand "en loco parentis". Grow a spine.

I don't follow the logic of these three sentences.

I don't either.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Minniemay
I don'[ allow sick students in the studio. I have 6-7 group lessons per year that can be used as make-up lessons. I also have a swap list (new this year). We'll see how it goes.

Sometimes they are IN a lesson before you find out that they are sick...

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Minniemay, be sure to remind them to let you know if they decide to swap lessons with someone. I teach a few families who know each other and there have been times when they swapped lessons and forgot to tell me! There I am waiting for X to turn up and all of a sudden I get Y instead haha! Then there are the siblings who have a 30 minute lesson each but now and then just one will show up for the hour because the other is sick or has something better to do. I do make a point of telling the parents that they need to let me know in advance so I can prepare but it doesn't always happen.

Pianist and piano teacher.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I really don't mind a sick student in the studio. Kids carry around so many germs anyway. If they are really too sick to come, then they can work the swap list, or they can come to one of the group lessons, which I state in my policy can be used as a make up. (they are optional and bonus)

~Stanny~

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission