Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2118917 - 07/17/13 05:24 AM Paul Bley's solo on all the things you are
etcetra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I know I briefly mentioned this solo before, but I figured I should make another thread about it. As far as I know, this solo is considered one of the great/important solos, something that is worth studying for jazz pianists. I admit that I don't "get it" completely, but I definitely appreciate some aspect of it, and I find the way Paul Bley goes in an out of the changes beautiful in it's own way. So for those people who understand and appreciate stuff like this, what do you guys see in it?

Here's what Aaron Parks have to say about this.

"The piano solo on this song was my first introduction to Paul Bley's music. When I heard it for the first time (7 years ago or so), it basically changed my life. Many people have spoken about the originality and historical importance of this solo, analyzing it in detail and discussing its far-reaching influence; instead of trying to do something like that, I'll just talk briefly about what it has meant to me personally and why I love it so much.

Like many young musicians today, I came up through the jazz education system. I was a diligent student, so I had learned a fair amount of music theory and had a pretty solid understanding of which notes were "correct" for me to play on one chord progression or another. The three choruses that Bley plays here (sandwiched between a more traditional yet beautifully lyrical solo by Coleman Hawkins and a perhaps slightly self-conscious solo by Sonny Rollins) showed the limitation of those theoretical conceptions, and represented a radically different approach to improvisation, one not about right or wrong. It was a paradigm-shifting moment for me, one which caused me to reevaluate my musical priorities.

In this solo, Bley's melodies roam freely in and out of the written changes, each line unfolding in its own curious way, pursuing its own muse. Yet he's not just playing "free"; even when he's not using the prescribed chord-scales, he always knows exactly where he is in the form of the song, and his ideas are incredibly coherent sometimes motivic, sometimes gestural, sometimes playful, always imaginative. I find this solo to be one of the most strangely beautiful moments in the history of recorded jazz, so I really don't want to spoil it by attempting to use any more words to describe what he's doing here. Just listen."

Reviewer: Aaron Parks
Rating 99/100

http://www.jazz.com/dozens/the-dozens-aaron-parks-selects-12-essential-paul-bley-tracks

BTW please don't make this into a "This solo is just crap/nonsense" kind of thread. I totally understand people not "getting it". Frankly I don't quite grasp it either.. but The importance of this solo is pretty well recognized(I think Mark Levine mentions it in his Jazz piano book). So if you don't like it, you have different taste than those who appreciate it, and let's leave it at that.

Edited by etcetra (07/17/13 11:09 AM)

Piano & Music Accessories
#2118937 - 07/17/13 07:21 AM Re: Paul Bley's solo on all the things you are [Re: etcetra]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney
Hey etc
I just have to say that I'm grateful to printer1 for recommending I study this particular ATTYA solo at the end of last year.
It's taken me 6 months to incorporate Paul Bley's free spirit into my soloing.
Another Paul Bley solo which captures this same spirit is this one live in Newport the same year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FnVz4H_Kp0

I'm really pleased you are going to study Paul Bley. He's not easy, but does get "easier".

BTW would you remember what Mark Levine said about the solo ?

#2118939 - 07/17/13 07:32 AM Re: Paul Bley's solo on all the things you are [Re: etcetra]
etcetra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

custard apple,

That's awesome that you studied the solo!! so how is like incorporating those idea into your own? Thanks for the link!!

I remember Mark Levine putting that sonny rollin's CD in the essential listening list at the end the "jazz book piano book", and talks about that solo in particular. I don't remember exactly what he said, but he felt that solo was worth noting..that's actually how I found out about it.

Edited by etcetra (07/17/13 07:39 AM)

#2118953 - 07/17/13 08:03 AM Re: Paul Bley's solo on all the things you are [Re: etcetra]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: etcetra
custard apple,

That's awesome that you studied the solo!! so how is like incorporating those idea into your own? Thanks for the link!!

You're welcome etc. That particular Newport concert is notoriously difficult to buy.

To tell you the truth, I spent so long on the solo (studio version you mentioned) that I only studied the 1st chorus.
To incorporate Paul's style into my soloing, printer1 also has got me studying
- Open to Love (this phenomenal album contains 7 captivating miniatures)
- About Time (you will find this 33.5 min solo on spotify. Here Paul incorporates ATTYA in the middle of his solo ! So he is playing free and at the same time "structured")

I've definitely found it liberating to play in the PB spirit, in the sense of:
(i) encouraging the use of the other side of my brain.
(ii) encouraging risk-taking. If you listen to his partner in crime, Sonny Rollins, all this risk-taking pays off in an enormous way.

I'm interested in your findings along your PB journey.

BTW I just looked up Mark Levine and he lists many other artists, so that's awesome that you picked PB.

#2118973 - 07/17/13 09:01 AM Re: Paul Bley's solo on all the things you are [Re: custard apple]
beeboss Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
It was a groundbreaking solo I think. Pat Metheny is on record as saying it is one of his all time favourite solos.
As far as I understand it Paul Bley was heavily into the Lydian Chromatic concept of George Russell at this time and there are many examples of this kind of approach in that book - basically alternative ways of thinking about the progressions with substitute chords and harmonic overlays.
I couldn't really get on with the concept myself (not even sure I understand it) but it sounds very interesting when used like this, a whole new area of tonality opening up which you can easily hear all modern players using. It is interesting to hear how close early Jarrett sounds to this style, I think Bley was a really big influence on him.

#2119257 - 07/17/13 07:43 PM Re: Paul Bley's solo on all the things you are [Re: etcetra]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Thanks for this interesting info beeboss, an accolade from the great improviser Pat Metheny himself.

#2119258 - 07/17/13 07:43 PM Re: Paul Bley's solo on all the things you are [Re: etcetra]
36251 Online   content
500 Post Club Member

I like PB but never listened to this take until now. My first impression is how different it starts sounding after repeated listening. You can definitely hear phrasing that people like Jarrett has since coped. I will spend some time trying to learn from this take - thanks to OP for posting.

#2119599 - 07/18/13 12:00 PM Re: Paul Bley's solo on all the things you are [Re: etcetra]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
This solo is just crap/nonsense.

Seriously, thanks for posting this. This is far out.
I wonder to what extent Sonny was paying attention, he seems to be caught off guard.

Last week, we asked Pat Harbison: "When you do this playing out thing, do you expect / want the piano player to follow you". And his answer was "I'd prefer he didn't".

What do you think about that?

#2119618 - 07/18/13 12:33 PM Re: Paul Bley's solo on all the things you are [Re: etcetra]
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

#2119619 - 07/18/13 12:34 PM Re: Paul Bley's solo on all the things you are [Re: etcetra]
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Must read:

An Uncut Blindfold Test With Paul Bley, Around 2002

http://tedpanken.wordpress.com/2013/04/01/an-uncut-blindfold-test-with-paul-bley-around-2002/

Note what he says about Jarrett and Mehldau... ouch.

#2119622 - 07/18/13 12:40 PM Re: Paul Bley's solo on all the things you are [Re: etcetra]
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Trio version
TRANSCRIPTION
Paul Bley's solo on "All The Things You Are":
http://www.oocities.org/bourbonstreet/5580/PaulBleyAlltheThings.pdf

#2213986 - 01/13/14 01:17 PM Re: Paul Bley's solo on all the things you are [Re: etcetra]
KlinkKlonk Offline

it's a logical solo, call and response, development of phrases, and the 8th note lines are very swinging - greasy. very nice.. Custard think you can dig up that alt take, seem to have been deleted, cheers

#2214036 - 01/13/14 03:45 PM Re: Paul Bley's solo on all the things you are [Re: etcetra]
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

He's doing two things at once, keeping track of the form and playing outside the changes.

#2214144 - 01/13/14 06:49 PM Re: Paul Bley's solo on all the things you are [Re: rintincop]
beeboss Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: rintincop
He's doing two things at once, keeping track of the form and playing outside the changes.

He is playing outside of the standard changes but doing it in quite a methodical way, even if this is quite hard to hear.

#2214587 - 01/14/14 01:21 PM Re: Paul Bley's solo on all the things you are [Re: beeboss]
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: beeboss

He is playing outside of the standard changes but doing it in quite a methodical way, even if this is quite hard to hear.

Can you explain the systems he is employing in his "methodical way"?

#2214596 - 01/14/14 01:41 PM Re: Paul Bley's solo on all the things you are [Re: etcetra]
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

BILL SMITH: In this period, youíre moving quite a way from bebop music and this microtonal music is making you investigate other concepts of piano. Or were you always developing into that? You play a much more open, spacy way, whereas bebop players have a tendency to accompany themselves. You donít do that, you have another way of playing.

PAUL BLEY: Yes, use of space is a separate discussion. In terms of what I personally thought was the way to play the piano. Leaving space out for the moment, Iíve always loved every period that Iíve played in. Iíve never been interested in one as opposed to another.

I anticipated all the changes in jazz because they were all problematical things, that I was dealing with myself. In New York in the late Ď50s there were a lot of experiments being made on how to avoid playing popular standards and how to get improvising out of those constricting formats. I participated on several of them, the albums with Don Ellis in the early Ď60s were part of that problem/ solution, some of Mingusí compositions, some of George Russellís compositions, these were things that were handled by composers and therein lay the problem. It was an improvising problem, over and above a composition problem. So a composer could write something that wasnít 32 bars. But as soon as he let someone take a solo on it, it would become metrical, an 8 bar system or what have you.

BILL SMITH: George Russell almost succeeded with that concept of improvisation.

PAUL BLEY: Almost, yes, absolutely. But donít forget Ornette took on rhythmically the loosening up of the dominance of the single meter beat so that youíd have multi-rhythms happening. Or something that wasnít even considered rhythm, just slower or faster than the beat. That type of rhythmic suppleness was unheard of prior to him. For me, it was a question of techniques. I could play on simple triads, I could play on complex chord changes. I could play modally, now ó could I play free? It was a question of stretching your consciousness, to allow yourself to be fearless in the fact that you could get back correctly.

#2214787 - 01/14/14 07:49 PM Re: Paul Bley's solo on all the things you are [Re: rintincop]
KlinkKlonk Offline

Originally Posted By: beeboss

Can you explain the systems he is employing in his "methodical way"?

playing a half step away is my guess. anyone done their homework? would love to take a look

#2214814 - 01/14/14 08:32 PM Re: Paul Bley's solo on all the things you are [Re: KlinkKlonk]
beeboss Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: KlinkKlonk

playing a half step away is my guess. anyone done their homework? would love to take a look

I think it is a fair bit more involved than that. I remember I did struggle through many of the musical examples in the Lydian chromatic concept which was insightful but ultimately I gave up on it, just too involved and confusing for me. Anyone brave enough to delve inside could probably do worse than trying this website, not for the faint-hearted though...
http://www.lydianchromaticconcept.com

#2214825 - 01/14/14 08:46 PM Re: Paul Bley's solo on all the things you are [Re: beeboss]
KlinkKlonk Offline

you lost me at page 2.. bley doesnt strike me as the theory guy, that excerpt from ted panken site was hilarious.

#2214902 - 01/14/14 11:30 PM Re: Paul Bley's solo on all the things you are [Re: rintincop]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

BILL SMITH: ó could I play free? It was a question of stretching your consciousness, to allow yourself to be fearless in the fact that you could get back correctly.[/b]

Thank you rintincop for this awesome quotation.
In the version etcetera posted, Paul plays "across the changes" yet knows exactly where he is in the form e.g. in A2 sec, m2 he plays inside F min 7; at the beginning of the bridge, he outlines G maj chord tones to leave the listener enough clues he is playing ATTYA.

Re space, my Paul Bley piano solo album arrived today. It's called Hands On, and his use of space is magical.

#2215069 - 01/15/14 09:36 AM Re: Paul Bley's solo on all the things you are [Re: KlinkKlonk]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden

Here's the solo transcribed (not by me): https://app.box.com/s/mevz5c2gghnpfqmfu7sn

I never play anything the same way once.

https://soundcloud.com/chrisb/sets
https://www.youtube.com/user/djboing/videos

#2215255 - 01/15/14 02:54 PM Re: Paul Bley's solo on all the things you are [Re: etcetra]
Mark Polishook Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Leicester, UK
Nice Chris!

#2215311 - 01/15/14 05:11 PM Re: Paul Bley's solo on all the things you are [Re: chrisbell]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: chrisbell

Here's the solo transcribed (not by me): https://app.box.com/s/mevz5c2gghnpfqmfu7sn

Thanks Chris.
I had always wanted to know what was going on in the LH.

#2215386 - 01/15/14 07:20 PM Re: Paul Bley's solo on all the things you are [Re: etcetra]
KlinkKlonk Offline

thanks chris, I see like one inside phrase, outrageous

#2215767 - 01/16/14 03:26 PM Re: Paul Bley's solo on all the things you are [Re: rintincop]
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

#2215769 - 01/16/14 03:28 PM Re: Paul Bley's solo on all the things you are [Re: KlinkKlonk]
KlinkKlonk Offline

thanks chris, I see like one inside phrase, outrageous

#2215787 - 01/16/14 04:11 PM Re: Paul Bley's solo on all the things you are [Re: etcetra]
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

When Bley plays outside he is probably focused on creating shapes...both melodic and physical... based on his intuition that evolved from his experiences as an improviser.

#2215983 - 01/17/14 12:04 AM Re: Paul Bley's solo on all the things you are [Re: etcetra]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
Beautiful play of tension and release. He goes back often enough to the harmony for me to not get lost. I haven't heard this before but I actually hear what he's doing -- holding the approach note to the chord tone (but not going to the chord tone) -- Basically holding resolution.

#2217098 - 01/19/14 12:18 PM Re: Paul Bley's solo on all the things you are [Re: jazzwee]
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jazzwee
I actually hear what he's doing -- holding the approach note to the chord tone (but not going to the chord tone) -- Basically holding resolution.

What do you mean? Can you site some examples by measure number in the transcription that Chris posted? Are you suggesting he is thinking music theory while he is playing free improvisation?

#2219889 - 01/24/14 07:37 AM Re: Paul Bley's solo on all the things you are [Re: etcetra]
Mark Polishook Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Leicester, UK
I've just posted on my blog about "Playing Outside of Chord Changes."

http://www.polishookstudio.com/2014/01/jazz-piano-going-outside.html

The post has examples from and explanations of Charlie Parker, Paul Bley (from the ATTYA solo), Herbie Hancock, and John Coltrane. Another longer post about only the Paul Bley ATTYA solo is in the works.

Edited by Mark Polishook (01/24/14 07:40 AM)

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is this a real Steinway?
by chernobieff
10/21/14 11:51 PM
DGX-650 TOPIC
by Jtreimer
10/21/14 11:24 PM
Janko keyboard video
by Michael Sayers
10/21/14 08:28 PM
RECOVERING PIANO HAMMERS
by Steinway K
10/21/14 07:31 PM
Help with forum for Musette in D Major...
by ieatglitter14
10/21/14 05:27 PM
Who's Online
115 registered (anadyr21, accordeur, 36251, A Guy, 31 invisible), 1283 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76610 Members
42 Forums
158405 Topics
2326236 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission