Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
109 registered (AnimistFvR, arod7, alans, Anita Potter, accordeur, angga888, 40 invisible), 1440 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2118931 - 07/17/13 06:44 AM classical piano music record labels?
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Hi,

Recently I've been thinking about publishing a CD with music from EMF and I've been trying to find out more about record labels.

I did contact a couple of companies, one of which was extremely unreasonable in what they asked ($11,000 for the production of 1000 CDs (with the recording done and mastered))... and I'm hesitant to actually start calling Deutsche Gramophone (though perhaps I will).

So do you know of any record labels who are not off their head completely?

Thank you!

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2119021 - 07/17/13 11:13 AM Re: classical piano music record labels? [Re: Nikolas]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Why a label instead of doing it yourself?

Labels used to be important because they provided three things - access to a quality recording studio, distribution and promotion.

Nowadays, all of those things are well within reach of individuals. Studios are relatively inexpensive (especially in classical music, where all you really need is a nice quiet hall and a good piano.) Anyone can easily and inexpensively distribute their music on iTunes and Amazon. And promotion is also relatively easy considering social media channels.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#2119025 - 07/17/13 11:18 AM Re: classical piano music record labels? [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Well, I can certainly do the production, recording and mastering "by myself" and even all the CD material. But I'm scared of the marketing/promotion and even more the distribution side of things... :-/ That's why...

I mean if I can find the means to enter the NAXOS distribution system, then super YAY, right?

#2119041 - 07/17/13 12:01 PM Re: classical piano music record labels? [Re: Nikolas]
kapelli Offline

Loc: Poland
Yes, go to Naxos, Divox, Hyperion or some other labels which are not the majors. With the majors forget. I only see the chanse by speaking with the lesser known labels. Naxos can be good due to it's open for every composer.

#2119163 - 07/17/13 04:04 PM Re: classical piano music record labels? [Re: Nikolas]
ronde des sylphes Offline

Loc: Scotland
Hi Nicholas, I don't post often here and came across this completely by chance. Fwiw, I've self-published recently and am furthermore in the unexpected situation of having a record company interested in the CD. I agree with Kreisler, up to a point. Certainly you can arrange everything to do with the actual production and manufacture of the CD yourself: that's not a problem if you can afford the required outlay. In my admittedly limited experience and what I've learnt in the last few months, it's the distribution and promotion which are the problem. Yes, you can stick it on iTunes or wherever and promote it through social media: but that doesn't give you press and media contacts; it's unlikely to get you a press review, and the likelihood is that it will sit there and you'll sell the occasional copy. Of course, getting a record company to do the promotion (they WILL have press and industry contacts not available to you) will come at a price; $11k does however seem excessive!

#2119179 - 07/17/13 04:34 PM Re: classical piano music record labels? [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Exactly Ronde des sulphes! This is what I'm afraid of. It takes years to build the connections and distribution channels and nobody will care for any record label with 1 CD out... At least I think...

#2119243 - 07/17/13 06:59 PM Re: classical piano music record labels? [Re: Nikolas]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I'd suggest contacting the labels that are particularly friendly to newer music: Wergo, Kairos, Centaur, maybe Chandos, col legno, BIS, Avie, Ondine, and so on.

#2119246 - 07/17/13 07:02 PM Re: classical piano music record labels? [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

There we go. A great list wr! Thank you! ^_^

#2119271 - 07/17/13 08:05 PM Re: classical piano music record labels? [Re: Nikolas]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Oh my gosh if you got with DG that would be so cool. Whatever the case, if you put it on iTunes I will buy it.

#2119323 - 07/17/13 09:55 PM Re: classical piano music record labels? [Re: Nikolas]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steingraeber A170 vs. Steinway M - appreciate helpful input
by ElaineAllegro
44 minutes 5 seconds ago
Rachmaninov Sonatas - 1 vs 2?
by iObsessed
Today at 08:07 PM
Completely OT- mods please move if necessary
by PhilipInChina
Today at 07:40 PM
Steinway "cottage" piano hammers
by ssenseney
Today at 07:19 PM
Garritan CFX vs VI Ravenscroft?
by LFYM
Today at 06:52 PM
Forum Stats
77049 Members
42 Forums
159355 Topics
2340829 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission