Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2119336 - 07/17/13 10:28 PM OMG! It really works!!
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
A couple of days ago I downloaded the demo of SmartScore X2, Piano Edition (which, while not cheap, at $80 costs significantly less than the $400 full version), and have been playing around with it.

Now I have a few-years-old version of PhotoScore Lite (it came with Sibelius 6), and I've had very mixed results with it. It wants the scores to be just so; many scores it simply doesn't like at all, and the ones that work generally need significant cleanup after the score has been processed.

Well over the last few days I've tested SmartScore on a variety of piano scores, from entire pieces to single-line illustrative examples of from my music theory textbooks, and it's only made one single solitary mistake, adding a staccato mark that shouldn't have been there.

On the down side, the documentation was pretty opaque on how to get rid of that blasted staccato, but using search on the PDF documentation finally yielded what I needed. Plus, as a Mac person, I find the user interface ugly, cluttered, and non-intuitive. But hey, the program is really good at doing what it's advertised to do: reading in piano music sheet music, and turning it into XML, MIDI, or whatever

So if you've ever wanted to OCR your sheet music, give the demo a try. I was so impressed that I wiggled around my finances so I could buy it.

SmartScore X2, Piano Edition

Oh, and in case you're wondering what I'd use it for, I have way too much sight reading fodder that's in easy keys, and I want to suck it into the computer and transpose it into harder keys. Also, I own Home Concert Xtreme, and this will let me transform more of my sheet music into MIDI files formatted the way that HCX likes them.

neglected piano blog

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2119451 - 07/18/13 03:31 AM Re: OMG! It really works!! [Re: tangleweeds]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
I had not heard of this program before tangleweeds, sounds like just the sort of thing I just got to have

#2119530 - 07/18/13 09:24 AM Re: OMG! It really works!! [Re: tangleweeds]
de cajon Offline

Loc: London, UK
That looks very interesting. I've not had problems with PhotoScore Lite but a second option would be very welcome. Their web page says two staves only, no text, no tabs. I wonder if that means it ignores extra staves, chord symbols with tabs and lyrics, or if it means it just refuses to process the aforesaid at all.

#2119621 - 07/18/13 12:37 PM Re: OMG! It really works!! [Re: tangleweeds]
tangleweeds Offline

I'm not sure what it does with the stuff it says it can't handle. But there's also a "Songbook" edition that handles stuff like vocal staves, chord symbols, and guitar tab (and it looks like maybe lyrics too?).

Songbook Edition

neglected piano blog

#2120319 - 07/19/13 07:57 PM Re: OMG! It really works!! [Re: tangleweeds]
Jeff Hao Offline

Loc: Hong Kong
I tried the PhotoScore Lite that came with Sibelius before but had to do so much editing I simply gave it up in favor of typing the music from scratch with Sibelius. Can this program generate Sibelius score files? It would be very useful for me if yes.

http://haostaff.com - FREE sheets download (Grand and Hao Staff)

Over 100 most well-known pieces of all genres, and growing fast
... make it one of your FREE online resources

http://facebook.com/haostaffpiano

#2120323 - 07/19/13 08:08 PM Re: OMG! It really works!! [Re: tangleweeds]
tangleweeds Offline

I had the same reaction to PhotoScore Lite & Sibelius. In the end I found it was easy enough to enter stuff into Sibelius that it was more work to repair a score mangled by PhotoScore Lite. That's why I was so amazed that SmartScore X2 for piano worked so very well.

SmartScore is, however, made to work with Finale, so to get your score into Sibelius you need to export it as Music XML (or MIDI might work if you wanted that). I haven't experimented around with it very much, but what I did export from SmartScore via XML imported into Sibelius without a problem... but it was just some late elementary piano music, not anything fancy.

neglected piano blog

#2120329 - 07/19/13 08:17 PM Re: OMG! It really works!! [Re: tangleweeds]
Jeff Hao Offline

Thanks, Tangleweeds! In my case, I need to accurately reproduce the FULL score - slurs, ties, dynamics ... everything. MIDI loses a lot of that. I suspect any conversion via another format might lose quite a bit of the details (or introduce editing necessity). But I will check this software out to see what it can do. Thanks again for the info. - Jeff

#2120420 - 07/20/13 04:22 AM Re: OMG! It really works!! [Re: tangleweeds]
de cajon Offline

Music XML is pretty copiously clever! The question is how cleverly does the importing (and exporting) score program deal with it. For example, Music XML supports tied, slur, glissando, slide, scoop, plop, doit, falloff, wedge, bracket, dashes, and octave-shift! I don't know what half of those are. Music XML (like any XML) is a standardized, structured, textual description format. (MIDI of course is digital, performance data.)

#2120471 - 07/20/13 10:01 AM Re: OMG! It really works!! [Re: de cajon]
Jeff Hao Offline

Thanks, Jdeacon. I will check Music XML out. I should really take another serious look at scanning music into Sibelius (via one software or another) for my work.

#2123047 - 07/25/13 11:19 PM Re: OMG! It really works!! [Re: tangleweeds]
ß . Offline

Interesting, I might have to try this out. Thanks for the heads up.

#2123108 - 07/26/13 01:45 AM Re: OMG! It really works!! [Re: tangleweeds]
Allan W. Offline

Loc: Michigan
If it can convert most of the notes and rhythms correctly, then that will save a lot of time rather than starting from scratch.

#2123701 - 07/27/13 08:21 AM Re: OMG! It really works!! [Re: tangleweeds]
Barbareola Offline

Loc: Germany
80 dollars just for downloading the demo?! shocked 400 dollars for the full version? My goodness...
Out of curiosity - what do you intend to do with the program?

#2123754 - 07/27/13 10:51 AM Re: OMG! It really works!! [Re: Barbareola]
de cajon Offline

Originally Posted By: Barbareola
80 dollars just for downloading the demo?! shocked 400 dollars for the full version? ...

All the demo versions are free to download. $80 is the full price of the two-stave, no text "piano" version, $200 is the full price of the three-stave version. $400 is the full price of the orchestral score version.

#2123839 - 07/27/13 02:55 PM Re: OMG! It really works!! [Re: Barbareola]
tangleweeds Offline

Originally Posted By: Barbareola
80 dollars just for downloading the demo?! shocked

As jdeacon said, the demo is entirely free. And the free demo would come in very handy for anyone who has a bunch of mystery sheet music that they can't find recordings of, so they don't know what it's going to sound like before going through all the work to learn how to play it.

With the (free) demo, you can scan in the sheet music, and hear what it sounds like. You can also silence one hand's part, so that you can practice HS with the computer playing the other hand's part. The only thing the demo doesn't do is save the translated files, so that each time you use it, you need to re-convert the scans (but that doesn't take very long).

As I mentioned above, one of the main reasons I paid for the software (piano version $80) was that (aside from having lots of mystery music smile ) I have stacks of music for sight reading practice, but it's all in very easy keys that I don't need any more practice in.

With this software, I can scan in the easy sheet music, and have the software transpose it into more difficult keys where i definitely need more practice. Then software can print out the transposed versions, or I can save paper and export the music in a format I can read via Home Concert Xtreme.

neglected piano blog

#2132669 - 08/14/13 07:20 AM Re: OMG! It really works!! [Re: tangleweeds]
Barbareola Offline

Loc: Germany
Sorry that I took so much time for responding - the vaccation turned out slightly more chaotic and internetfree than planned.

Thanks though for responding to my question.

Actually, I have downloaded MuseScore (which is free) to listen to a new piece before I try it. I don't think you can transpose easily with it (I haven't studied it enough for that yet). Part of me is fascinated by the possibilities this technology offers.

Part of me - and that might be illogical and paranoid - is scared that it would actually hamper the development of my reading ability, which I feel is fairly poor. Do you have similiar fears? Or do you think that the opposite is true - that it would actually help?

#2132738 - 08/14/13 10:54 AM Re: OMG! It really works!! [Re: tangleweeds]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

I don't think it would hurt your reading certainly, nor will it help particularly. I use it for making my arrangements, and you can definitely transpose easily. I don't know the command sequence off the top of my head... on my phone at the moment. If you search on their website it will be there I'm sure.

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Rachmaninoff 2 and broken strings
by Anne'sson
Today at 09:31 AM
Kawai CN24 vs Kawai CA65 Vs Acoustic
by Luca33
Today at 08:55 AM
What happpened to the "edit" button?
by jim ialeggio
Today at 07:38 AM
AMusA reports?
by Badinage
Today at 07:03 AM
Dipabrsm starting as an adult?
by Franz Beebert
Today at 06:37 AM
Who's Online
134 registered (Anne'sson, ando, ajames, 46 invisible), 1644 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76285 Members
42 Forums
157688 Topics
2316147 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission