Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2119850 - 07/18/13 09:13 PM Classical repertoire for skill building?
Anne H Offline

Hi everyone!

I've finally started to get into a practice routine and am trying to go back over some of the "basics" for skill building and a more solid foundation. This is all stuff I used to be able to play but seems a little challenging now! I've started with the Bach Two and Three part inventions, but I'm looking for some other suggestions. What have you guys enjoyed/had good learning luck with? I had thought of the Chopin Nocturnes as well, unless you guys think the preludes are a better learning experience in terms of skill work. Any more out of the box suggestions than I've thought of?
Bach Inventions
Einaudi - Berlin Song, Reverie

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2119906 - 07/18/13 10:59 PM Re: Classical repertoire for skill building? [Re: Anne H]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
I see some "works in progress" in your signature line, but what are some pieces you've learned recently to give us an idea where you're at (I'd use Bach's inventions, but these can be difficult to learn without a teacher and many attempt them prematurely)?

#2119947 - 07/19/13 12:31 AM Re: Classical repertoire for skill building? [Re: Bobpickle]
Anne H Offline

The Ravel in my signature is a uh...long term project! I won't have it ready for ages.

I was previously at a SMP level 9/10 as a teenager, and I'm feeling pretty comfortable with SMP 6 and 7 pieces right now. It's definitely slower going, but doable.

I've played all of the Bach inventions before years ago, as well as most of the Chopin preludes. I've never tried any of his other stuff, but I know lots of it is good and pretty achievable. I sight read my way slowly through a Debussy Arabesque the other day, if that helps. I haven't been practicing with a plan in mind, so I don't have as many good examples as I'd like.
Bach Inventions

#2120031 - 07/19/13 06:42 AM Re: Classical repertoire for skill building? [Re: Anne H]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Bear in mind. I know nothing. I'm just throwing this out...perhaps just for discussions sake.
I've read repeatedly that Mozart is great training. The best?

#2120051 - 07/19/13 07:35 AM Re: Classical repertoire for skill building? [Re: Anne H]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
I'm not saying this is what you need to do but it's a path I'm doing which appears to be working well:

1. Bach Inventions leading to Preludes (we did a few things from Anna Magdalena before the inventions). I love these and each one is great for voicing, hand independence and rhythm.

2. Sonatinas. We're just picking some more or less at random and tackling them. I'm on my fourth now. Pretty soon we'll move to Sonatas. The groundwork in classical sonata form is great for building up knowledge and technique for classical works.

3. Romantic and more modern literature. We're not setting a strict path here, picking and choosing. I've done a bunch of Chopin Preludes and a Waltz and am on my second Debussy as well as other things thrown into the mix.

Kawai K3

#2120247 - 07/19/13 05:04 PM Re: Classical repertoire for skill building? [Re: Andy Platt]
Anne H Offline

Thanks Andy, that's really helpful. Did you like any of the Sonatinas in particular? Which Debussy were you working on? I've been thinking of retackling some parts of The Children's Corner as part of this project later on down the road.
Bach Inventions

#2120267 - 07/19/13 05:50 PM Re: Classical repertoire for skill building? [Re: Anne H]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: Anne H
Thanks Andy, that's really helpful. Did you like any of the Sonatinas in particular? Which Debussy were you working on? I've been thinking of retackling some parts of The Children's Corner as part of this project later on down the road.

These are the Sonatinas I've done:

a) Mozart K545. You can argue whether that's really a Sonatina; it's listed as a Sonata. In any case it was my first piece after starting lessons, years self taught and it was beyond me technically. It's probably the best piece of all the Sonatinas I've done but I would like to do it now, not three years ago wink

b) Clementi Op 36 No 4 (F major). Love, love, love it. Has a bunch of little technical things. To play well at speed was almost beyond me at the time but I just about did it. And the middle movement is fantastic.

c) Kuhlau Op 55 No 2 (G major). I picked this from the CD that comes with Alfred's Sonatina Album (all these pieces are in it). My teacher wasn't sure about it but she admitted it grew on her. Technically somewhere between the Clementi and the Mozart but by the time I did this one, things were getting easier.

d) Clementi Op 36 No 2 (G major). The one I'm doing now. We decided not to worry about technical difficulty, just pick one I liked and this is great. If I had to do it again, this would be first and the Mozart would be now. Swap a & d.

I did Debussy's Arabesque number #1 and am now working on Dr Gradus ad Parnassum (from Children's Corner). Eventually I'd like to do all the Children's Corner pieces I think.

Kawai K3

#2120291 - 07/19/13 06:58 PM Re: Classical repertoire for skill building? [Re: Andy Platt]
Anne H Offline

I've been thinking about Dr Gradus or Golliwog's from the Children's Corner as well! I've always really liked both of those. I'd forgotten about those Clementi pieces - I have a book of them lying around somewhere.
Bach Inventions

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Baroque Pitch - The Well-Tempered Clavier
by Badinage
09/16/14 02:25 AM
Need Leutke Leipzig info
by Gardenergirl
09/16/14 12:26 AM
Best digital approximation
by TEHunter1
09/15/14 11:49 PM
Wow, check out this baby!
by Paul678
09/15/14 09:31 PM
Baby Grand new Hammer Knuckles.
by OscarL
09/15/14 08:30 PM
Who's Online
69 registered (Badinage, AliAlkhiro, andwi, AEMontoya, AZNpiano, barbaram, 15 invisible), 920 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76209 Members
42 Forums
157554 Topics
2314214 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission