Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2119925 - 07/18/13 11:34 PM Re: refinishing nitrocellulose [Re: Minnesota Marty]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sandy Eggo, California
Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
Secretions from the Lac bug.

You Sir win three internets for a correct answer!

I think of it as lac beetle spit...

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#2119997 - 07/19/13 02:59 AM Re: refinishing nitrocellulose [Re: OperaTenor]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Originally Posted By: OperaTenor
Keep in mind that the piano is a 1936 5'6" Kimball in a mahogany finish. None of the 'Polys' would have been used with a finish from that era. Since it shows signs of checking, it would indicate a lacquer finish, as opposed to shellac or varnish. There is no suitable way to use a solvent to 'soften or re-wet' a finish from this era to erase the damage. Spot refinishing can be attempted, but they are visibly noticeable (obvious) unless done by a very experienced craftsman.

The best results are obtained by stripping the entire instrument and then refinish with the choice of any of the modern materials.

Shellac crackles more than any other type of finish. I'm currently refinishing my 1925 Chickering Ampico A, which had a horribly crackled shellac finish. So far, I've stripped the case and the lid; the wood underneath is gorgeous. And, my 1921 Hamilton Manualo has the same ugly old finish.

It doe not really more because it is more supple than cellulose (cellulose have bad reputation about cracking and whitening) but was often used on sealers that can crack.,

Shellac finish is "easy" to repair, but fragile to solvents.

Edited by Olek (07/19/13 03:23 AM)

#2120001 - 07/19/13 03:02 AM Re: refinishing nitrocellulose [Re: Nash. Piano Rescue]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Nash. Piano Rescue
Shellac gets a bad rap sometimes but they still use it to seal M&Ms it is non toxic. You can use it as a sealer against Silicone contamination over sanded primer if doing solid colors.

If you are really good and like to curse a lot there is always Vinyl Sealer which is what most cabinet shops use to seal out impurities. I think you could spray that stuff over a leaking quart of oil and get a flawless paint job on it but the issue with Vinyl sealer is if the batch is old it can crack after it dries under your finish.

I still do it the old way. Dye the wood with transtint mixed with water, sand, grain fill, stain, then 3 - 4 coats of sanding sealer sprayed on, block sand 320 - 400 then shoot the clear and rub it out if it needs it. With solid colors it just depends on how wild the paint job gets as to how we build it out.

Hello I am surprised of that use as sealer. I heard also of that using spray cans).

The sprayeable shellac based products may content some cellulose too, I believe.

I guess that if I spray a cellulose finish on a shellac base it will melt it and I take the risk of burning the "primer".

Does it work ?

Regards

#2120120 - 07/19/13 11:06 AM Re: refinishing nitrocellulose [Re: berninicaco3]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Jim,

I have been giving a lot of thought to your statement that shellac is the most prone to 'checking' or 'crazing,' and I put that back in the context of 1936. From the turn of the twentieth century, shellac was rarely used in furniture building, it was most common for wall paneling or floors, though varnish was considered a better option for those uses. Shellac is a very soft finish and scratches easily. Checking is not usually considered one of its characteristics.

By 1936, Kimball would most certainly be using sprayed nitrocellulose lacquer, the product developed by Dupont, rather than the traditional formulation of lacquer as used in the nineteenth century. Shellac, as used in a traditional "French Polish" was very rare in the US and not used by piano builders or cabinet/furniture makers.

On the piano that you are working on, is the solvent for the finish alcohol? Often small cracks can be repaired as a surface treatment using alcohol and very fine steel wool. These finishes will rarely develop the large scale 'alligator' checking as will a lacquer finish from spending many years in direct sunlight.

So, I've been curious about your experience and would very much like to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2120121 - 07/19/13 11:07 AM Re: refinishing nitrocellulose [Re: berninicaco3]
Gene Nelson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Old Hangtown California
I have used shellac as a sealer- once to seal over linseed oil that was used for color coat.
Then seedlac followed by water based lacquer.

#2120196 - 07/19/13 02:54 PM Re: refinishing nitrocellulose [Re: berninicaco3]
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada

Nitro cellulose finishes were used on production furniture from 1900 and by 1930 was in common use.

Duco the paint product developed by Dupont in 1923 was an automotive paint first used on the GM Oakland line of autos.
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#2120201 - 07/19/13 03:04 PM Re: refinishing nitrocellulose [Re: berninicaco3]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
I have had tours of the old Oakland assembly plant, both in its former life making automobiles and its current use, the central maintenance facility for the local bus transit agency.

#2120210 - 07/19/13 03:14 PM Re: refinishing nitrocellulose [Re: berninicaco3]
berninicaco3 Offline

Loc: iowa city, ia
I always wondered about hardware store shellac.
The real stuff of course is in 1# bags, that I seem to remember being a great deal cheaper than I recently saw...

But when you get zinsser shellac by the gallon-- is it shellac shellac?

Terminologies get confused. Lacquer and varnish get used interchangeably. There are more chemistries out there now, than just lac bug wax, damar resin, and nitro.

#2120211 - 07/19/13 03:15 PM Re: refinishing nitrocellulose [Re: berninicaco3]
berninicaco3 Offline

Loc: iowa city, ia
BTW, as an update:
repairing the old finish seems to be working out nicely.
still getting a hang of spraying smoothly.

But the first results are taking, no fisheyes, no delamination. If it crackles in several years... I'll be OK. I kinda liked the crackle anyway.
What I didn't like was the damage and the flaking.

#2120218 - 07/19/13 03:41 PM Re: refinishing nitrocellulose [Re: berninicaco3]
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada
There is no interest in my experience or postings here so this was not posted earlier;

For what it’s worth;

Wiped down with methyl hydrate would have cleaned off all the oils, dirt, fingerprints, etc. and left the old surface absolutely clean.

When the methyl evaporated it would have left white streaks which is the old finish grabbing moisture out of the air as it evaporated. This reveals the old surface is softened by the methyl and can be re-started.

When a new coat is sprayed over top this releases the trapped water and the blush disappears. The first new coat would have revealed all of the divots and bumps which are then filled with clear or sanded down. Then the second coat would get the skating rink.

Only good for 5 years. If the old finish was flaking off maybe trouble coming before that time. Flaking reveals lack of adhesion. Makes for an unstable base coat.

Mixing nitro 1 to 1? That is 50% reduction and have never heard of that.

Hello orange peel……

Most lacquer products can be used straight out of the can or 10% reduction. 30% if you want to use as sealer coat.
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#2120224 - 07/19/13 03:59 PM Re: refinishing nitrocellulose [Re: Minnesota Marty]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Jim,

I have been giving a lot of thought to your statement that shellac is the most prone to 'checking' or 'crazing,' and I put that back in the context of 1936. From the turn of the twentieth century, shellac was rarely used in furniture building, it was most common for wall paneling or floors, though varnish was considered a better option for those uses. Shellac is a very soft finish and scratches easily. Checking is not usually considered one of its characteristics.

By 1936, Kimball would most certainly be using sprayed nitrocellulose lacquer, the product developed by Dupont, rather than the traditional formulation of lacquer as used in the nineteenth century. Shellac, as used in a traditional "French Polish" was very rare in the US and not used by piano builders or cabinet/furniture makers.

On the piano that you are working on, is the solvent for the finish alcohol? Often small cracks can be repaired as a surface treatment using alcohol and very fine steel wool. These finishes will rarely develop the large scale 'alligator' checking as will a lacquer finish from spending many years in direct sunlight.

So, I've been curious about your experience and would very much like to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,

Yes, I'm using denatured alcohol to strip it. If you go to my No Piano Left Behind Facebook page (and like it, of course laugh ), I have photos of the work I've been oh so slowly doing on it.

I chose to strip is rather than just smooth it out because the finish had darkened, and it was difficult to discern the wood grain anymore. I am going to refinish it with shellac as well; I really like working with it.

Here's a sample, showing the comparison between the existing finish and how it looks stripped/refinished:

Edited by OperaTenor (07/19/13 04:10 PM)

#2120253 - 07/19/13 05:14 PM Re: refinishing nitrocellulose [Re: berninicaco3]
Jon Page Offline

Loc: Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Massac...
So, I take it, you're not using paste wood filler to close the pores and going with an open-pore finish. You'll want to remove that shellac stripe before doing the whole lid, it may show otherwise.

Jon Page
Piano technician/tuner
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA
http://www.pianocapecod.com

#2120289 - 07/19/13 06:55 PM Re: refinishing nitrocellulose [Re: Silverwood Pianos]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Silverwood Pianos
There is no interest in my experience or postings here so this was not posted earlier;

For what it’s worth;

Wiped down with methyl hydrate would have cleaned off all the oils, dirt, fingerprints, etc. and left the old surface absolutely clean.

When the methyl evaporated it would have left white streaks which is the old finish grabbing moisture out of the air as it evaporated. This reveals the old surface is softened by the methyl and can be re-started.

When a new coat is sprayed over top this releases the trapped water and the blush disappears. The first new coat would have revealed all of the divots and bumps which are then filled with clear or sanded down. Then the second coat would get the skating rink.

Only good for 5 years. If the old finish was flaking off maybe trouble coming before that time. Flaking reveals lack of adhesion. Makes for an unstable base coat.

Hello orange peel……

Most lacquer products can be used straight out of the can or 10% reduction. 30% if you want to use as sealer coat.

Hello, that is interesting, but methyl hydrate is not availeable probably today in Europe, forbid, as many solvents.

Due to the spraying equipment (HVLP on standard compressor) and hot weather, I had to cut my Nitro up to 30% (20-30%)on the behalf of the provider .

When you talk of "pre cat" laquer, that ring to me as polyurethane based products. Those ones are very fluid and do not need thinner or very little.
The ones I use sometime are 2 composants , + eventual tghinner.

Nitro is only working with solvents evaporation (and the product that tense itself).

Very hot weather is causing trouble with Nitro and shellac, probably less with PU (I am not much used to those anyway)

Regards

#2120293 - 07/19/13 07:00 PM Re: refinishing nitrocellulose [Re: Jon Page]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Jon Page
So, I take it, you're not using paste wood filler to close the pores and going with an open-pore finish. You'll want to remove that shellac stripe before doing the whole lid, it may show otherwise.

you can fill with pumice powder and shellac, no need to sand as with wood fillers.

#2120298 - 07/19/13 07:04 PM Re: refinishing nitrocellulose [Re: OperaTenor]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: OperaTenor
Jim,

Cheers,

Yes, I'm using denatured alcohol to strip it. If you go to my No Piano Left Behind Facebook page (and like it, of course laugh ), I have photos of the work I've been oh so slowly doing on it.

I chose to strip is rather than just smooth it out because the finish had darkened, and it was difficult to discern the wood grain anymore. I am going to refinish it with shellac as well; I really like working with it.

Here's a sample, showing the comparison between the existing finish and how it looks stripped/refinished:

that way you keep the undercoat I suppose, as usually it is better to strip with a stripper, often the old shellac is whitened, and anyway your new shellac will build up more nicely on bare wood,more transparency, better shine, etc

Keeping the bottom is good for black case, and even then sometime it cause trouble and the surface is not tense enough.

the coat seem to be thin anyway

#2120394 - 07/20/13 01:11 AM Re: refinishing nitrocellulose [Re: berninicaco3]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I guess I should have clarified; that "finish" strip in the photo is just water. Just to show what it would look like finished.

#2120453 - 07/20/13 07:57 AM Re: refinishing nitrocellulose [Re: Silverwood Pianos]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

For what it’s worth;

Hello orange peel……

I did the same with some amalgamator. With good success. Same principle, without whitening..

#2121072 - 07/21/13 03:08 PM Re: refinishing nitrocellulose [Re: berninicaco3]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

amalgamator "egalisateur" (a very light pass with 1500 grit MIrka, before.
Then sprayed stained Nitro satin lacquer.
That bench was yellowish , more light and ugly lemon color like.

Too bad if it is supposed to hold only 5 years, I hope for more ! ...
Very robust bench as was done in the 80's

Edited by Olek (07/21/13 03:09 PM)

#2121074 - 07/21/13 03:13 PM Re: refinishing nitrocellulose [Re: Jon Page]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Jon Page

I used cellulose paste filler, and did not like it much, as it tend to mask the wood, (it is mostly talcum and nitro lacquer)I would use it when the veneer is not first class. We use products that can be sprayed, to close the grain and isolate the bottom.
they also contain some powder, something that makes them thicker and make sanding easy.

On nice old pianos we can find sawed veneers , they are thick, but also they catch very nicely the light as the fibers are not crushed as with sliced veneers . they deserve a nice finish for that reason.

Edited by Olek (07/21/13 03:15 PM)

#2122159 - 07/24/13 03:20 AM Re: refinishing nitrocellulose [Re: berninicaco3]
phacke Online   content

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014

Loc: CO, USA
Originally Posted By: berninicaco3
BTW, as an update:
repairing the old finish seems to be working out nicely.
still getting a hang of spraying smoothly.

But the first results are taking, no fisheyes, no delamination. If it crackles in several years... I'll be OK. I kinda liked the crackle anyway.
What I didn't like was the damage and the flaking.

Hello, berninicaco3 -
Are you still there? I was wondering if you determined the nature of the finish you had on you piano originally (Lacquer vs shellac) and what brand lacquer you sprayed on.

Best wishes -

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:
G. F. Hndel: Suite in G minor (HWV 452)
J. S. Bach, Sonata No. 1 in B minor (BWV 1014) duet with violin

#2122160 - 07/24/13 03:34 AM Re: refinishing nitrocellulose [Re: Olek]
phacke Online   content

Originally Posted By: Olek

For what it’s worth;

Hello orange peel……

Hello, that is interesting, but methyl hydrate is not availeable probably today in Europe, forbid, as many solvents.

Hello Mr Oleg,
An alternative to suck petrochemical organics out of wood, given in the series in the Piano Technicians Journal,
http://www.hancockrestorations.com/PDF%20Files/Hancock%20PTG%20Articles%201%20and%202.pdf

is Boraxo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boraxo

Best wishes -

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:

#2122166 - 07/24/13 04:12 AM Re: refinishing nitrocellulose [Re: berninicaco3]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

nice reading , thanks. Better have good equipment indeed.

Our providers made new recipes for strippers, that are working fine, and are PH neutral (no washing)

I wash anyway with "Triton X" 2% soup usually. this is to get rid of old waxes. It also raise the grain.

filing is done with pumice and a lot of work. actually-very difficult due to the very warm temperature, the shellac build up before the pumice close the grain.

BTW methyl hydrate is also used in the article, borax only to wash the eventual wax residue, if I read correctly.

Borax is what makes washing powder, I believe.

Edited by Olek (07/24/13 04:14 AM)

#2123622 - 07/27/13 12:59 AM Re: refinishing nitrocellulose [Re: berninicaco3]
phacke Online   content

After re-reading, Mr. Silverwood was referring to methyl hydrate to clean the old lacquer surface for respraying lacquer finish on top (without stripping to wood, so the conversation changed somewhere-I did not notice). By the way, methyl hydrate, is more commonly know as methanol, and I think it so common that it should be regularly available and used in Europe. It is even found in cheap vodka -- definitely not good to drink.
http://news.yahoo.com/methanol-kills-19-injures-24-central-europe-161534816.html

The PTJ article refers to methylene chloride, as a paint stripper/degreaser. Certainly much more agressive solvent than the methanol (methyl hydrate). Then Boraxo is still recommended for final cleaning to remove the silicones absorbed in the wood, after stripping.

Thanks for the information about Triton X. That is a pretty potent sounding marketing name, working at a 2% solution! I searched around a bit for it, and indeed it looks like it is used as such, in these particular cases on a finish, not on the wood stripped of its finish:
http://www.thehenryford.org/research/caring/wood.aspx
http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/save_finish.shtml

Mr Oleg, if you are using in it such a way that it raises the grain, then I presume you are talking about the case of using it on bare veneer wood.

Best regards-

Edited by phacke (07/27/13 12:03 PM)

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:

#2123626 - 07/27/13 01:41 AM Re: refinishing nitrocellulose [Re: berninicaco3]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
The last time I worked on a lacquer finish, much of it had flaked off, and it was colored, so repair was impossible. I scraped most of it off, as I have become adept with scrapers.

The trick to using scrapers is to knock the corners off them. That is where they dig into the wood and cause problems. A pointed scraper can be used to get into corners.

If you use planes, taking the corners off the blade makes them easier to use, too. Most sources will talk about putting a curve on the bottom of the blade, but that is harder to do, and results in curved cuts. Just grind the last 1/8" of the blade at an angle which disappears under the sole of the plane.

#2123787 - 07/27/13 12:19 PM Re: refinishing nitrocellulose [Re: phacke]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: phacke
After re-reading, Mr. Silverwood was referring to methyl hydrate to clean the old lacquer surface for respraying lacquer finish on top (without stripping to wood, so the conversation changed somewhere-I did not notice). By the way, methyl hydrate, is more commonly know as methanol, and I think it so common that it should be regularly available and used in Europe. It is even found in cheap vodka -- definitely not good to drink.
http://news.yahoo.com/methanol-kills-19-injures-24-central-europe-161534816.html

The PTJ article refers to methylene chloride, as a paint stripper/degreaser. Certainly much more agressive solvent than the methanol (methyl hydrate). Then Boraxo is still recommended for final cleaning to remove the silicones absorbed in the wood, after stripping.

Thanks for the information about Triton X. That is a pretty potent sounding marketing name, working at a 2% solution! I searched around a bit for it, and indeed it looks like it is used as such, in these particular cases on a finish, not on the wood stripped of its finish:
http://www.thehenryford.org/research/caring/wood.aspx
http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/save_finish.shtml

Mr Oleg, if you are using in it such a way that it raises the grain, then I presume you are talking about the case of using it on bare veneer wood.

Best regards-

Yes I always confuse methyl chloride, which is really forbidden now, and methyl hydrate , which is not sold under that name her , not easy to find but we have other alcohols, as isopropyl, that may be could do the trick (to clean and may be soften a cellulose finish) .

Triton x was sold to me if I need to use shellac or lacquer on a case that was waxed.

I use water on the wood once stripped, before sanding, to raise the grain (alcohol is only to have a better look at the wood and locate where traces of old finish are yet present.

Scraping is not enough to prepare for a new finish, often, mostly because the base, bottom coat and filler is what gives the whitish aspect .

scrapers are really excellent tools anyway.

Stripping shellac looks simple but alcohol based products go deep in the wood, so the stripping method must be good.

on that pic on the right the original veneer is particularly whitened. on the top of the leg the part is being stripped, the leg have been stripped, and the pore closed with pumice and shellac before polishing with more shellac

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Taking the hammers with you to do voicing.. ?
by InfiniteClouds
09/30/14 08:19 PM
Pop instrumental
by Michael Forbes
09/30/14 08:05 PM
How do you charge a fellow technician?
by chernobieff
09/30/14 06:28 PM
Question for the moderator...
by Emmery
09/30/14 05:57 PM
Rare Time Signatures
by caters
09/30/14 02:59 PM
Who's Online
122 registered (adrpiano, ajames, accordeur, 36251, 33 invisible), 1423 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76383 Members
42 Forums
157898 Topics
2318963 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission