Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2119505 - 07/18/13 08:18 AM Talented Student Tired of Piano Adventures (2B)
eccp19 Offline

Loc: United States
Hi teachers,

I have a relatively new student who started with me when he had just begun piano adventures 2b. This kid is a more talented student than most I have taught at his level. He has a great ear and arranges pop songs, has great dexterity on the keys, and is learning his pieces in piano adventures in a matter of a couple days. Yesterday at his lesson, he said "I don't want to sound like I'm bragging, but these songs are just kind of dull"

Anyway, I am really wanting to help this kid grow into a great musician and I can tell he is hungry. So a couple of questions.

1)I was thinking of switching him to Keith Snell's method with a strong emphasis on classical and "real" pieces. I would include the scales and theory book.

2)Do you have any appropriate piece recommendations that are "fast and fun" at his level of 2B/3A?

3)Do you think Satie's Gymnopedie no.1 could be a good selection for him?

Thanks so much!

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2119573 - 07/18/13 11:25 AM Re: Talented Student Tired of Piano Adventures (2B) [Re: eccp19]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
How old is this kid?

If the kid likes "fast and fun" pieces, then Gymnopedie no. 1 will be lethally dull. What is the kid "hungry" for? More classical pieces? Or more contemporary stuff? If he has the ears to arrange pop songs, then why don't you look into the pop arrangements that are available at this level?

#2119607 - 07/18/13 12:10 PM Re: Talented Student Tired of Piano Adventures (2B) [Re: eccp19]
Sweet06 Offline

What I do is I finish the teachers assignments at the start of the week right after the lesson as fast as I can. Then I run thru them a few times everyday (i found cramming them all a day or so before i messed up a lot in the lessons). Once I'm able to run thru them, I start using my "practice" time on my own things that I have fun with. I mean if the things are super easy for him, just advise him to find some things he enjoys once he finishes those?

#2119690 - 07/18/13 03:15 PM Re: Talented Student Tired of Piano Adventures (2B) [Re: eccp19]
Joyce_dup1 Offline

Loc: Chicago
Instead of changing to another method, have you considered supplementing the lesson book with a variety of pieces? For example, add a Spanish performance book (Catherine Rollin?), add a Jazz method (Christopher Norton Microjazz?), or if you believe he is interested in classical, perhaps Kabalevsky? or Burgmueller Op100? or Gillock Lyric Preludes? Or Vandall! Vandall is lots of modal pieces, preludes, awesome material. If your student isn't quite ready for these particular pieces, perhaps "step him up" to this level with other similar choices at a lower level, or selected sheet music. Continue PA2B, but use it as a concept book. Teach him the new concept, give him a few pieces to practice that concept, and move on to performance (also sequenced and coordianated with the concepts). Of cours, PA also has supplemental materials to look at - perhaps that would be the choice if it's an issue with difficulty. Goldstar? Pop rep?, etc. Let us know what you end up assigning this student.

#2119692 - 07/18/13 03:25 PM Re: Talented Student Tired of Piano Adventures (2B) [Re: eccp19]
dumdumdiddle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
When my students are in PA 2B I supplement with the following:

FJH's Jazz/Rags/Blues series
Snell Repertoire or Developing Artist series (for original classical works)
FJH's 'Fantastic Fingers' Bk 2 (Goldston)
Melody Bober's 'Just For Fun' Bk 1 (lots of fun and interesting pieces)
R Vandall's 'Celebrate Piano Duets' Bk 1

#2119694 - 07/18/13 03:28 PM Re: Talented Student Tired of Piano Adventures (2B) [Re: eccp19]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
If you do decide on Gymnopedie no. 1, I was just reading this guide of how to teach it to a beginner yesterday: http://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=4710.msg44538#msg44538

#2119736 - 07/18/13 04:50 PM Re: Talented Student Tired of Piano Adventures (2B) [Re: eccp19]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I agree with Joyce.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#2119822 - 07/18/13 08:09 PM Re: Talented Student Tired of Piano Adventures (2B) [Re: eccp19]
pianogirl87 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Supplement!

The above suggestions are good, and I'll add one more. Try the ChordTime Popular book by Faber. Lots of great arrangements of both older and more recent songs.

#2119870 - 07/18/13 09:47 PM Re: Talented Student Tired of Piano Adventures (2B) [Re: eccp19]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Originally Posted By: eccp19
1)I was thinking of switching him to Keith Snell's method with a strong emphasis on classical and "real" pieces. I would include the scales and theory book.

You probably mean Keith Snell's Piano Repertoire Series. I have two students for whom this is absolutely perfect, and several others that this is a really bad fit. If the student likes the more structured classical lit, give it a try.

#2120313 - 07/19/13 07:33 PM Re: Talented Student Tired of Piano Adventures (2B) [Re: eccp19]
eccp19 Offline

Loc: United States
Thank you all for your replies. All great suggestions.

I am going to continue teaching him in 2b but perhaps move through it a bit faster as we supplement with other works. I found some great pieces that I think he will like in Faber's Developing Artist book 1.

God bless

#2120413 - 07/20/13 03:23 AM Re: Talented Student Tired of Piano Adventures (2B) [Re: eccp19]
Opus_Maximus Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Faber moves a bit slowly overall, compared with other methods. I find that the later levels (3B and beyond), start to have more attractive repertoire. Perhaps skip him up a few levels, as well as supplement him with other stuff.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
187 registered (accordeur, acortot, 36251, 56 invisible), 1620 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74232 Members
42 Forums
153553 Topics
2250449 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
OT: John Passion
by wimpiano
Today at 04:33 PM
3/4 time for 6/8 time comping patterns?
by Ben Ther
Today at 04:33 PM
Shanks with parallel wood grain
by JohnSprung
Today at 04:15 PM
Pinblocks & bridges... How long do they last?
by Piano Practice
Today at 03:58 PM
Spinoff: What do we think of "technique seminars"?
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 02:46 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission