Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2120687 - 07/20/13 07:55 PM New to Piano.
JSteve32 Offline

Hi. My name is Steve. I've been playing about 2 weeks on a keyboard we have and using an Alfred's level 1 book. I was wondering if there are any practice regimens that anyone would recommend for someone who is completely new to this?

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2120704 - 07/20/13 08:52 PM Re: New to Piano. [Re: JSteve32]
PaperClip Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Amsterdam, Holland
Hi, welcome Steve,

I would suggest not to over do it in the beginning and to practise for an half hour to an hour max each day. Building slowly up. Because you don't have a good technique yet and enough material to play. So not to long practise might prevent an injury. Or bad habits you need to unlearn in the future. But that's just my personal opinion. Just my two cents.

I also suggest to switch to at least a digital 88 weighted keys within 6 months if your keyboard doesn't have weighted keys and you want to play classical music or jazz.

If you want to learn fast. Try learning small chunks first by one hand only. Then learn it playing the other hand. Then combine both hands and play it VERY slow. Dead slow.

Oh and of course enjoy every baby step.

There's an Alfred level 1 book thread in this forum.... So you might want read that topic.

Playing since May 02 2009

#2120779 - 07/20/13 11:04 PM Re: New to Piano. [Re: JSteve32]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Welcome Steve, the Alfred series is very popular and I like it's format and easy to understand approach. If you can afford a teacher as well that is really invaluable and no less important than at the beginning.

I have a written practice schedule, I found if I didn't write it down I wouldn't keep to it. Now I have it written I still ignore it (mostly) but it does help.

There have been a few posts on this subject and if you type into the search box on the top left hand side of every forum page you can find a whole wealth of knowledge. If in doubt though there are people here who can guide you and there no dumb questions here so all the best on your journey.

This link is to a similar question you might have some of your answers here

Edited by earlofmar (07/20/13 11:06 PM)

#2121000 - 07/21/13 01:10 PM Re: New to Piano. [Re: JSteve32]
carrie32 Offline

Loc: Banned
My name is Carrie and I am new to this board this is my first post to this board and I want to make some interesting discussions for this . I hope that it would be really good for me to be on this board and I can enhance my knowledge. Thank you and regards.

#2121281 - 07/21/13 11:03 PM Re: New to Piano. [Re: carrie32]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
Originally Posted By: carrie32
My name is Carrie and I am new to this board this is my first post to this board and I want to make some interesting discussions for this . I hope that it would be really good for me to be on this board and I can enhance my knowledge. Thank you and regards.

Welcome.

#2121284 - 07/21/13 11:09 PM Re: New to Piano. [Re: JSteve32]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
I'd like to welcome both of you. Steve and Carrie.
Steve, they're carrying on quite a discussion on practicing on another thread. Or two.

#2121670 - 07/22/13 09:10 PM Re: New to Piano. [Re: JSteve32]
JSteve32 Offline

Thanks for the welcomes. I believe I've decided on blocs of 15 minutes cumulatively equalling 2 to 3 hours per day.

#2121674 - 07/22/13 09:16 PM Re: New to Piano. [Re: PaperClip]
JSteve32 Offline

Originally Posted By: PaperClip
Hi, welcome Steve,

I would suggest not to over do it in the beginning and to practise for an half hour to an hour max each day. Building slowly up. Because you don't have a good technique yet and enough material to play. So not to long practise might prevent an injury. Or bad habits you need to unlearn in the future. But that's just my personal opinion. Just my two cents.

I also suggest to switch to at least a digital 88 weighted keys within 6 months if your keyboard doesn't have weighted keys and you want to play classical music or jazz.

If you want to learn fast. Try learning small chunks first by one hand only. Then learn it playing the other hand. Then combine both hands and play it VERY slow. Dead slow.

Oh and of course enjoy every baby step.

There's an Alfred level 1 book thread in this forum.... So you might want read that topic.

Thank you for the advice. This is generally how I've been going about it thus far. I'm a fairly experienced musician, just never with the piano to this point. As far as upgrading. The current keyboard we have is 76 keys, I believe, but not weighted. I plan on giving it a few months to ensure that I'm going to stick with it before I invest in anything more, but yes, digital piano is definitely the way I'll be going (I have a wife who is a professional musician to convince of the efficacy of such a purchase lol).

#2121675 - 07/22/13 09:19 PM Re: New to Piano. [Re: earlofmar]
JSteve32 Offline

Originally Posted By: earlofmar
Welcome Steve, the Alfred series is very popular and I like it's format and easy to understand approach. If you can afford a teacher as well that is really invaluable and no less important than at the beginning.

I have a written practice schedule, I found if I didn't write it down I wouldn't keep to it. Now I have it written I still ignore it (mostly) but it does help.

There have been a few posts on this subject and if you type into the search box on the top left hand side of every forum page you can find a whole wealth of knowledge. If in doubt though there are people here who can guide you and there no dumb questions here so all the best on your journey.

This link is to a similar question you might have some of your answers here

Thanks for the advice. I began working out a practice schedule last night that involves a couple of exercises and working on some pieces. This, after following some threads here to piano street and reading some of Bernhard's (sp?) threads there.

As far as a teacher, I'm not looking to spend much money on this currently, but I do plan on taking a lesson in a couple of months or so from a teacher around here and may schedule every so often lessons afterwards depending on how that goes.

#2121680 - 07/22/13 09:31 PM Re: New to Piano. [Re: JSteve32]
Joyce_dup1 Offline

Loc: Chicago
Steve, let me make a suggestion about practicing. It's not so much how much you practice as to how effective your practice is. I would review and be certain that you understand what the concept is on a particular page/unit of the Alfred book. Then as you practice, try your best to follow instructions, and be certain you understand what you are trying to accomplish. In addition, at each practice session you should be doing some type of technical exercise, 5-finger pattern, scales or chords. Practice your exercise diligently but carefully, trying to follow instructions and Listen! Become familiar with the tones and sounds of different intervals, chords, note patterns. You should be practicing some short simple pieces of music, or etudes, meaning music designed to help you learn the concepts. For these musical pieces practice two ways. One, play no stopping no matter what, just listening for good tones, for nice musical phrases. Then, play with spot practicing. Any place that's not sounding as good as others - repeat 3 times, 5 times, over and over until you feel it is correct. Practice the ending. It's nice to know the ending! Then, play all the way thru no stopping no matter what. Finally, if you have time, or at another practice session, try memorizing your current piece. That should get you started! You can break it up into multiple session per day, or different approaches day to day. But within one week's time, the current concept lesson should be well in hand. This is all laid out in the Alfred book. Just be certain to put together the bits (exercise, concept, etude). Let us know how it goes.

Edited by Joyce_dup1 (07/22/13 09:37 PM)

#2121714 - 07/22/13 11:02 PM Re: New to Piano. [Re: Joyce_dup1]
JSteve32 Offline

Originally Posted By: Joyce_dup1
Steve, let me make a suggestion about practicing. It's not so much how much you practice as to how effective your practice is. I would review and be certain that you understand what the concept is on a particular page/unit of the Alfred book. Then as you practice, try your best to follow instructions, and be certain you understand what you are trying to accomplish. In addition, at each practice session you should be doing some type of technical exercise, 5-finger pattern, scales or chords. Practice your exercise diligently but carefully, trying to follow instructions and Listen! Become familiar with the tones and sounds of different intervals, chords, note patterns. You should be practicing some short simple pieces of music, or etudes, meaning music designed to help you learn the concepts. For these musical pieces practice two ways. One, play no stopping no matter what, just listening for good tones, for nice musical phrases. Then, play with spot practicing. Any place that's not sounding as good as others - repeat 3 times, 5 times, over and over until you feel it is correct. Practice the ending. It's nice to know the ending! Then, play all the way thru no stopping no matter what. Finally, if you have time, or at another practice session, try memorizing your current piece. That should get you started! You can break it up into multiple session per day, or different approaches day to day. But within one week's time, the current concept lesson should be well in hand. This is all laid out in the Alfred book. Just be certain to put together the bits (exercise, concept, etude). Let us know how it goes.

Thank you for the input Joyce. I have yet to come up on a portion of the book that has scales or straight chord progressions yet, however, I am doing a set of the Hanon exercises in there as part of my routine, but it's in straight C-major. I'm looking forward to getting towards the more advanced scales, etc. I also have another book that I'm learning straight pieces out of measure by measure which is more classical in nature.

#2121940 - 07/23/13 01:47 PM Re: New to Piano. [Re: JSteve32]
Joyce_dup1 Offline

Loc: Chicago
Steve, an example of learning concepts might be to learn the pattern for the C Major scale. Starts with the keynote (tonic) than Whole step (W) and Half steps (H) like this: W W H W W W H. You can play any key on the piano, and then progress with that same pattern and you will be playing a major scale. In other words, try to always learn what's behind your practice, so it becomes more valuable and more usable. If you look at the Alfred book you will find that they explain this. The goal is to understand and incorporate. Good luck! It's a wonderful and amazing path that you're on.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
148 registered (Alex-SapRenovation, AmateurBob, A Guy, ajames, 43 invisible), 1767 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75574 Members
42 Forums
156252 Topics
2294735 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Around The World
by karmanathan
3 minutes 21 seconds ago
Brahms
by mellifluous
53 minutes 53 seconds ago
The process of shopping / buying a new piano
by Eric5238
Today at 10:53 AM
Viennese vs sustain vs DOA tuned unisons and temperament
by gynnis
Today at 10:35 AM
casinitaly! Many happy returns of the day!
by malkin
Today at 08:30 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission