2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, antune, 11 invisible), 1,787 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Thanks, Sam. Very helpful comments.

God knows I could use some experience playing piano for other people.

It's a weird thing. In my field, I don't have the slightest qualms about speaking in front of a group of 200 or more trained, credentialed professionals. In fact, I look forward to it.

But ask me to sit down at the piano and play for four other adult beginners, and my hands start to shake.

Context is everything, I suppose.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Thank you all for your kind words with our loss of Della...for sure a family member. Now I just want to get home to my family and other dogs but I'm stuck in the Bangor airport because our plane has difficulty...that means we won't make the Philly flight to Denver. We hope they don't cancel the flight.

I took about five pieces of music to work on and picked out a couple more in the SummerKeys library...could have enjoyed many more. My teacher and I worked on only two. We talked a lot during my lesson time about goals and technique. The intense time may be best to polish the pieces that are close to performance ready.

Last edited by WiseBuff; 07/06/13 05:33 PM.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Driving instructions: Just head northeast until you run out of United States. Lubec, Maine is the northeasternmost spot in the country.

When I left my driveway yesterday morning, the temp was already 96 degrees Fahrenheit with humidity to match. Upon arrival at Lubec tonight, the temp was 72.

I can work with this...

[Linked Image]

Here comes a dove;

-- Laura Nyro
A

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
A
You all make this sound like so much fun! I would like to try to go in a year or two. It would be nice to get out of the New Orleans heat.

I saw that they also have a photography course.. something for the BillyO to do!

Looking forward to hearing about your trip, ClsscLib!

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AimeeO
You all make this sound like so much fun! I would like to try to go in a year or two. It would be nice to get out of the New Orleans heat.

I saw that they also have a photography course.. something for the BillyO to do!

Looking forward to hearing about your trip, ClsscLib!

Thanks, AimeeO. Actually, my better half will be taking the photo class this week while I'm taking piano. We went into a Lubec gallery today that was showing photos taken by Summerkeys photo students. It was great work!

[Linked Image]

Here comes a dove;

-- Laura Nyro
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Looking forward to more reports!

I've seen the slide shows of the photo class at the end of the week and they take some amazing photos in and around Lubec.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
A

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
A
Let me know how your better half likes the photo class! We are very curious.

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Sam or anyone else, have you had your spouse join the photography class? I think it's best to keep my husband engaged in something. He says he will bike around but I think it will get old doing it alone. If you have an experience, can you give me some practical information, cost, schedule etc. the website does not give so much information except some photos.

Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
Sam or anyone else, have you had your spouse join the photography class? I think it's best to keep my husband engaged in something. He says he will bike around but I think it will get old doing it alone. If you have an experience, can you give me some practical information, cost, schedule etc. the website does not give so much information except some photos.

I've never taken it, just been to the end of the week photo show. I hear that it is very popular, so it may be too late to get in. I do have the email address of the photographer that teaches the workshop - I'll send it to you in a PM.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Sam thanks

A

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
A
Farmgirl:
On this page it lists the price of $595 for the week : http://summerkeys.com/lubec-photo-workshop-2/

And here's an article by the teacher talking about his 2011 classes:
http://talkingphotography.com/archive/2010/BasicsinParadise.htm

Can't wait to hear how ClsscLib's other half liked the photo course!

My other half is being devoured by the photography bug lately. That scenery could be really great excuse to get me up there smile

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Unfortunately the class offering ends the week before my week. Well my husband really have to entertain himself. Poor planning on my part. Next year.

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AimeeO
Farmgirl:
On this page it lists the price of $595 for the week : http://summerkeys.com/lubec-photo-workshop-2/

And here's an article by the teacher talking about his 2011 classes:
http://talkingphotography.com/archive/2010/BasicsinParadise.htm

Can't wait to hear how ClsscLib's other half liked the photo course!

My other half is being devoured by the photography bug lately. That scenery could be really great excuse to get me up there smile

We're through 4 of our 5 days, and I think I can say the photography class has been a great success.

My wife has taken a lot of photos over the years, but strictly as an untrained amateur: She has a decent camera but has almost always used it in "auto" mode.

The teachers here (a wonderful husband/wife team) get everyone in the class (beginner to pro) thinking quickly and clearly about both the technical and artistic elements of photography. Each day they go on outings to various of the many great local spots to shoot photos, and they all get lots of guided, hands-on experience. (It's a very full and active week for the photo students!)

Last night the teachers hosted a casual dinner at their lake house where the best work of the eight students was shown on a screen. Great stuff! I should also note that the class has created a lot of camaraderie among the eight students and the teachers, who have fostered that result.

I'm no photographer, but my sense is that every one of the eight people in the class is delighted with it.

[Linked Image]

Here comes a dove;

-- Laura Nyro
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Hi I'm here now! I arrived here 9:30 pm. I cannot see anything yet but it looks like a great town. I seem to have a full schedule. I will try my best to keep up with the ABF tradition and report back to you as others did before me.

Sam, the cottage is wonderful. Thank you for your recommendation.

Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Hi I'm here now! I arrived here 9:30 pm. I cannot see anything yet but it looks like a great town. I seem to have a full schedule. I will try my best to keep up with the ABF tradition and report back to you as others did before me.

Sam, the cottage is wonderful. Thank you for your recommendation.

Hope you have a great time!

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Have a great time Farmgirl. Hopefully Summerkeys can survive
THE VIOLENT PAGE-TURNER
grin

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Day 1. My teacher is John Newell. I met with him in the congregation church. Interestingly piano was not facing toward the aiudience. I am not sure i like this. I would rather like to see the audience than my butt facing them. Oh well.

My teacher was supposedly be Bruce but changed to him at the last minute. I thought "good", maybe I don't need to press through with this. My Mozart piece is half cooked. He is a gentle mannered pianist. I liked him from the get go. However, gentleness did not mean pushover. I told him that I actually am a kind of beginner plus and don't really need to perform this on Friday. But he was determined. He did not take no for an answer. He said that i could do this, I was no beginner and we are going to perform this on Friday. I said "well i think i give myself a passing mark if i can play it through with you!". He said "No, no, no. You could do better than that!". Assigned me tons of things and left with a smile "I'm looking forward to hearing you how you worked on these points we worked on today". So..I practiced. I thought it was crazy to sit in front of the thing for 3 hours. But time passed really quickly. Wanted to practice othere pieces I brought with me but did not have time. Oh I was so extremely hungry. I will have to bring a sandwich tomorrow. I don't practice well on an empty stomach.

I did take a theory class from Bruice. I was told that we have a choice between performance and theory. I thought how much performance do I need. So stayed behind a guy who seems to be in his 60s. He did not know circle of 5th. So I was thinking oh crap, I should have gone with the performance crowd. But it was a good thing I did not. Bruice pulled out a score that I have never seen before. Composed by Diabelli. Just one pager. He asked us to identify the left hand chord and memorize it away from the piano. I quickly done that. And in the practice room I realized that I could play it well without practice. He is amazing. I never thought of doing that.

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by JimF
Have a great time Farmgirl. Hopefully Summerkeys can survive
THE VIOLENT PAGE-TURNER
grin

I heard a rumor they have a training class for Piano Bombers. smile

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Day 1. My teacher is John Newell. I met with him in the congregation church. Interestingly piano was not facing toward the aiudience. I am not sure i like this. I would rather like to see the audience than my butt facing them. Oh well.

My teacher was supposedly be Bruce but changed to him at the last minute. I thought "good", maybe I don't need to press through with this. My Mozart piece is half cooked. He is a gentle mannered pianist. I liked him from the get go. However, gentleness did not mean pushover. I told him that I actually am a kind of beginner plus and don't really need to perform this on Friday. But he was determined. He did not take no for an answer. He said that i could do this, I was no beginner and we are going to perform this on Friday. I said "well i think i give myself a passing mark if i can play it through with you!". He said "No, no, no. You could do better than that!". Assigned me tons of things and left with a smile "I'm looking forward to hearing you how you worked on these points we worked on today". So..I practiced. I thought it was crazy to sit in front of the thing for 3 hours. But time passed really quickly. Wanted to practice othere pieces I brought with me but did not have time. Oh I was so extremely hungry. I will have to bring a sandwich tomorrow. I don't practice well on an empty stomach.

I did take a theory class from Bruice. I was told that we have a choice between performance and theory. I thought how much performance do I need. So stayed behind a guy who seems to be in his 60s. He did not know circle of 5th. So I was thinking oh crap, I should have gone with the performance crowd. But it was a good thing I did not. Bruice pulled out a score that I have never seen before. Composed by Diabelli. Just one pager. He asked us to identify the left hand chord and memorize it away from the piano. I quickly done that. And in the practice room I realized that I could play it well without practice. He is amazing. I never thought of doing that.

If this is your first time at Summerkeys, do NOT be intimidated by the Friday night event. It's incredibly low key, and there will be many people there at levels below yours and who will be "challenged" by new pieces. Whatever you play and however you play, you will find the people in the room supportive and encouraging. I did not play when I was up there earlier this summer, and that was a mistake I regret and will not make again. (And no one has worse recital anxiety than me!)

I also had lessons with John and the theory classes with Bruce, and both were a delight.

Enjoy your week!

[Linked Image]

Here comes a dove;

-- Laura Nyro
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Farmgirl:

Thank you for your update and good luck with your piece! It's going to be a wonderful week for you.

I'm seriously thinking about attending next summer.

Jim

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission