Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2121457 - 07/22/13 10:28 AM Need recs for some church music.....
riley80 Offline

Loc: Florida
The organ where I am the piano accomp was killed when 'hit by lightning', so we are having to do all the services on piano. I have to sub for the organist in a few weeks and need some recs for piano works suitable for prelude, postlude etc. Do you have any faves you can mention?

No idea when the organ will be back in business or replaced. Prob. months.

Does anyone have a good piano arrangement of the Bach G String Air from the 3rd Suite? We expect a parishioner to pass on soon and I wanted to be ready with this in case I'm pitch hitting at the time. Or any other suitable PIANO suggestions for a funeral?

Thanks so much.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2121489 - 07/22/13 11:52 AM Re: Need recs for some church music..... [Re: riley80]
DanS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Generally speaking, hymns who's lyrically content (i know many tunes have several sets of lyrics) matches that weeks readings are a great choice. You can also use the prelude to introduce the following weeks hymns, especially if it's something the congregation isn't familiar with.

Any of the standard funeral hymns work. You could also check out Ave Verum Corpus, Going Home (Dvorak New World theme), Panis Angelicus....

#2121514 - 07/22/13 01:15 PM Re: Need recs for some church music..... [Re: riley80]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
There are anthologies of piano music for church use that you can purchase on line....but in terms of specific works.....

Any of the slower Bach preludes and fugues from the WTC

The slower Bach Organ Chorale Preludes transcribed by Busoni for piano

Brahms Intermezzi (the slower, more pensive works like Opus 117 No. 1, Opus 118 No. 2, Opus 119 No. 1)

Frank - Prelude, Fugue and Variation Opus 18

Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata 1st movement (works every time)

Slower works by Schumann (Traumerei, Nachtstucke Opus 23, no 4, Romanze Opus 28 No. 2)

Schubert Impromptus (Opus 142 No. 2 for example)

Selected Chopin Nocturnes (again, the slower more pensive ones)

Slow movements from Mozart piano Sonatas

Grieg Lyric Pieces (again the slower ones)

The above selections work for preludes and offertories........

You can play loud, lively and majestic works for the Recessional - including hymn arrangements - but avoid things that sound too secular.

#2121851 - 07/23/13 09:55 AM Re: Need recs for some church music..... [Re: riley80]
FarmGirl Online   content

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
This a great topic for me too because I was asked to play offertory and communion music during the summer.
Thank you Carey, Your list above helps me build repertoire for it.

I have a couple of questions. First - what to do with the size of the congregation. Sometimes there are lots of people and many times during the summer there aren't any(figuratively speaking). So what I thought of is to have several cut off points for small crowd. For example Brahms 118 #2 i will only play the first section for small crowd. Many here might frown about the idea but ... Bach English Suite #II Prelude is a bit too long for summer and I decided to hop from measure 44 to 154. Second - Title of the piece. I don't think Rach Elegie is appropriate because of the name, or is it okay? It's a beautiful music. What do you think? We have aged congregation. At this point I don't have so many church appropriate repertoire.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2122060 - 07/23/13 08:03 PM Re: Need recs for some church music..... [Re: FarmGirl]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
I have a couple of questions. First - what to do with the size of the congregation. Sometimes there are lots of people and many times during the summer there aren't any(figuratively speaking). So what I thought of is to have several cut off points for small crowd. For example Brahms 118 #2 i will only play the first section for small crowd. Many here might frown about the idea but ... Bach English Suite #II Prelude is a bit too long for summer and I decided to hop from measure 44 to 154.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with what you've suggested. The vast majority of folks in your congregation won't know the difference anyway. As a church musician your role is to enhance the flow of worship - in which case the music itself should be subservient to the worship experience.

Quote:
Second - Title of the piece. I don't think Rach Elegie is appropriate because of the name, or is it okay? It's a beautiful music. What do you think? We have aged congregation. At this point I don't have so many church appropriate repertoire.

Personally I think it's OK. In literature, an Elegy is a mournful, melancholic poem such as a funeral song or lament for the dead. In music, however, the term denotes a musical work that is of a sad or somber nature. Thus, your aged congregation should be able to deal with it - assuming they're even paying attention to the printed bulletin. If you still have concerns, you could solve the problem by simply not printing the name of the piece in the church bulletin (just identify it as Prelude or Offertory). The Rach Elegie is a beautiful work - and I'm sure your congregation will enjoy it.

#2122237 - 07/24/13 09:57 AM Re: Need recs for some church music..... [Re: riley80]
FarmGirl Online   content

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Carey, good idea! I will not list the name of the Rach piece. If any member of the congregation complains the use of such music, I will give her the wonderful explanation you shared with me:). Thank you.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2122868 - 07/25/13 03:49 PM Re: Need recs for some church music..... [Re: FarmGirl]
riley80 Offline

Loc: Florida
Size of cong only matters to me during offertory and communion.
I rattle of a lot of short items in the same key to get me thru communion.
I don't get your comment about the Elegy and the old congregation. Maybe i misunderstand. Do you publish the title of your prelude and postlude in the bulletin? AND if so, why would they care? I have played secular stuff during the communion, IF it's not well known as a secular piece.
At Xmas, I play unknown carols and always get a fave comment.

#2122966 - 07/25/13 07:17 PM Re: Need recs for some church music..... [Re: riley80]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: riley80
I don't get your comment about the Elegy and the old congregation. Maybe i misunderstand.

Since the term "elegy" is often associated with funerals and death, it might cause angst for some of the elder members of the congregation who are overly sensitive about such things. Again, I personally, don't think it is an issue. grin

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Prelude
by noobpianist90
7 minutes 50 seconds ago
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
Yesterday at 11:57 PM
Communication outside of lessons
by Arghhh
Yesterday at 10:23 PM
What is this piece?
by JoelW
Yesterday at 09:54 PM
Piano Rankings
by phantomFive
Yesterday at 07:59 PM
Who's Online
75 registered (angga888, 36251, Alux, accordeur, 14 invisible), 1007 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76645 Members
42 Forums
158485 Topics
2327423 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission