Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2111286 - 07/02/13 12:32 AM Rzewski: The People United Will Never Be Defeated!
Brendan Offline

Loc: McAllen, TX
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...

This is on my recital program for the coming season (along with Bach's Aria Variata and a new variation set that a friend is writing for me). I've always wanted to learn this but was intimidated by its length, difficulty, and the possibility that it would take forever to get into my fingers. After beginning to work on it seriously in March, I was happily surprised to discover that it's actually quite pianistic - most of the figuration is repetitive and pretty much everything can be overcome by some good ol' slow practice.

That being said, this is my "work in progress" version. The first public outing is in October, so there's still time to work a few things out.

It's a really, really amazing piece - enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54f_dvBaDd4&feature=youtu.be

The "mad" emoticon represents the overall mood of the piece smile

#2111408 - 07/02/13 07:42 AM Re: Rzewski: The People United Will Never Be Defeated! [Re: Brendan]
CanCakmur Offline

Loc: Ankara, Turkey

I didn't listen all of them yet but BRAVO.

Rzewski is so special for me, and let this piece goes to support all emancipatory (for peace, freedom, liberty and fraternity) resistance movements against oppression and violance in the world, and especially in my country (Taksim Gezi Park in Istanbul Turkey).

Thanks for sharing.

#2111488 - 07/02/13 10:41 AM Re: Rzewski: The People United Will Never Be Defeated! [Re: Brendan]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Wow!!! That's pretty awesome! Thanks a ton for sharing. smile

#2111517 - 07/02/13 11:22 AM Re: Rzewski: The People United Will Never Be Defeated! [Re: Brendan]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Your performance is quite thrilling both in terms of your playing and obvious involvement with the music.

#2111630 - 07/02/13 02:21 PM Re: Rzewski: The People United Will Never Be Defeated! [Re: Brendan]
Hakki Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Bravo ! Especially for such an undertaking.

Thanks for sharing.

http://www.youtube.com/user/hakkithepianist

#2112154 - 07/03/13 11:46 AM Re: Rzewski: The People United Will Never Be Defeated! [Re: Brendan]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Brendan: Can you comment a bit on how studying a contemporary work by a composer who is also a terrific pianist and who has also recorded the work is different from learning a piece without all those conditions present? To me this is kind of like studying a Liszt piece where one has access to a recording of the piece by Liszt.

#2112227 - 07/03/13 02:17 PM Re: Rzewski: The People United Will Never Be Defeated! [Re: pianoloverus]
Brendan Offline

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
To me this is kind of like studying a Liszt piece where one has access to a recording of the piece by Liszt.

Indeed. I have the DVD of him playing it at the Miami Piano Festival; it's interesting to hear how different his take on it is vs. Oppens, Hamelin, and Drury (most notably in tempi, he lets everything breathe a little more). He really brings out the improvisatory nature of the piece without losing sight of the form. While it might not be as clean as some other interpretations, I still find it incredibly powerful.

The real gem is his improvisation. The more I play the piece, I feel that it needs a cadenza/improv before the recap of the theme.

#2113019 - 07/04/13 10:40 PM Re: Rzewski: The People United Will Never Be Defeated! [Re: Brendan]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
You know it's good when datruzepp is the first one to post a comment :P

Awesome playing!
Rachmaninoff - Piano Sonata no.1

#2113047 - 07/05/13 12:26 AM Re: Rzewski: The People United Will Never Be Defeated! [Re: Brendan]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
The recap of the theme in the end was so brilliant! It had (I think) an extra romantic feeling there, which wasn't there in the beginning and that made it even better!

And I'm surprised that after 54:40 minutes of performing this beast, you actually had enough energy to stand up and close the video! Kudos! grin

EDIT: Just noticed McAllen, TX. Is that close to Arlington? Cause I'm coming over on Monday (in a couple of days that is)...sorry for derailing the thread a little!

EDITx2: Ok. It seems to be some 300 miles away? Or something... Oh well...

Edited by Nikolas (07/05/13 12:29 AM)

#2113226 - 07/05/13 12:31 PM Re: Rzewski: The People United Will Never Be Defeated! [Re: Kuanpiano]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Originally Posted By: Kuanpiano
You know it's good when datruzepp is the first one to post a comment :P

He is so hilarious, haha!!

#2113277 - 07/05/13 02:14 PM Re: Rzewski: The People United Will Never Be Defeated! [Re: Brendan]
wower Offline

Loc: Calgary
What is that with Airturn and everything?! Very nicely done!

#2113400 - 07/05/13 07:14 PM Re: Rzewski: The People United Will Never Be Defeated! [Re: wower]
Brendan Offline

Originally Posted By: wower
What is that with Airturn and everything?! Very nicely done!

Sure is. It's been very useful so far - no complaints at all about the tablet/AirTurn combo!

#2113409 - 07/05/13 07:34 PM Re: Rzewski: The People United Will Never Be Defeated! [Re: Brendan]
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsinki, finland
havent managed to listen the whole thing through, but the way it sounds so far you're doing great with this monster! makes me wanna learn some Rzewski.

#2113673 - 07/06/13 10:09 AM Re: Rzewski: The People United Will Never Be Defeated! [Re: Brendan]
wower Offline

Loc: Calgary
I came back for a second listen. I could really geek out over this video with you but will instead just say again very nicely done!

#2115449 - 07/10/13 12:15 AM Re: Rzewski: The People United Will Never Be Defeated! [Re: Brendan]
Arghhh Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I enjoyed listening, and am looking forward to the next recording to hear how it's evolved (you will be posting others here?)

Originally Posted By: Brendan

The "mad" emoticon represents the overall mood of the piece smile

Since I don't have the score, are there markings in the score that indicate anger, or is that your interpretation? My thought is that it would be more pride/defiant than mad, based on the lyrics of the song. Just curious...

#2116062 - 07/11/13 10:12 AM Re: Rzewski: The People United Will Never Be Defeated! [Re: Brendan]
Brendan Offline

There are a few markings in there that indicate anger and frustration: "like a cry"; "in a militant manner"; "relentless, uncompromising," etc. On the other hand, there is hope in some of the variations. Rzewski said that the point of the piece was for the pianist to "win" in the end after a long and bitter struggle, so merely getting through it seems to be accomplishment enough in some ways!

#2121620 - 07/22/13 06:15 PM Re: Rzewski: The People United Will Never Be Defeated! [Re: Brendan]
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi, Brendan! Well, as promised, I listened to the entire work. It's not my first exposure to it, but it's been awhile. A few comments:

1 Your performance DID hold my interest throughout, which is really an accomplishment with a piece of this length. It's just a magnificent panorama of 20th century pianistic innovations and varying styles of expression.

2 In both Beethoven's Diabelli Variations and Rzewski's work, I've read commentary to the effect that the Themes themselves are trite and boring. Personally, I strongly disagree in both cases -- the Diabelli Theme is a sparkling "oompah" beer hall tune, and the Rzewski Theme is for me a very moving Chilean folk song. For me, this is quite important because I look forward to hearing it through all the ingenious transformations that Beethoven and Rzewski used.

3 I agree with your observation that Rzewski, like Chopin, just knows how to write for the piano -- a lot of his effects simply "work", and are brilliantly effective. Maybe I'll take a peek at the work he wrote for the Carnegie Hall Millennium compilation of solo piano works.

Moderator:  Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
101 registered (Anticlock, accordeur, Acevle, 37 invisible), 1287 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156326 Topics
2295857 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
piano technician cost list
by ascc
13 minutes 23 seconds ago
Liszt on Steinway A3
by Reno
14 minutes 5 seconds ago
Roland RD800 initial impressions
by fizikisto
Today at 12:28 AM
Connected Slurs
by TX-Bluebonnet
Today at 12:17 AM
Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions
by AB Forum Recital
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission