Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2121984 - 07/23/13 03:58 PM How long to upload an audiophile to Youtube?
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
My latest, just over 3m long, is 164mb . . .on a wmv file. I don`t think it`d be much less on another; as you might imagine, it`ll take ages to upload . . . Advice most welcome! I`ve never had quite this bother before . . .

""

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2121993 - 07/23/13 04:38 PM Re: How long to upload an audiophile to Youtube? [Re: peterws]
Allan W. Offline

Loc: Michigan
Really depends on your connection. At any rate it shouldn't take more than an hour or two even on the slowest of broadband connections.

#2122016 - 07/23/13 05:50 PM Re: How long to upload an audiophile to Youtube? [Re: peterws]
mpmusic Offline

Loc: Portugal
Youtube gives an estimate of how long it will take to upload.

"Music is the key to understand the universe..."

#2122028 - 07/23/13 06:19 PM Re: How long to upload an audiophile to Youtube? [Re: peterws]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Trouble is my file was soo huge! The only ting I did different was amplify the music in Videopad . . . .

""

#2122043 - 07/23/13 07:01 PM Re: How long to upload an audiophile to Youtube? [Re: peterws]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
You mean: Audio File?
You'll never get an audiophile uploaded. smile

#2122086 - 07/23/13 10:12 PM Re: How long to upload an audiophile to Youtube? [Re: rnaple]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: rnaple
You mean: Audio File?
You'll never get an audiophile uploaded. smile

Perhaps if you shove them really really hard?

Kawai K3

#2122139 - 07/24/13 02:34 AM Re: How long to upload an audiophile to Youtube? [Re: peterws]
wouter79 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

You have to zip him first laugh

#2122153 - 07/24/13 03:03 AM Re: How long to upload an audiophile to Youtube? [Re: peterws]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
Audiophiles are well known to be picky about their file formats. wink

neglected piano blog

#2122512 - 07/24/13 08:35 PM Re: How long to upload an audiophile to Youtube? [Re: peterws]
Daniel Corban Offline

Loc: Canada
Why are you converting an audio file to a video format? An mp3 of the song would be exponentially smaller in file size.

#2122517 - 07/24/13 08:49 PM Re: How long to upload an audiophile to Youtube? [Re: Daniel Corban]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: Daniel Corban
Why are you converting an audio file to a video format? An mp3 of the song would be exponentially smaller in file size.

Check the title of the thread: It's to go to YouTube and you can't submit mp3 directly.

Kawai K3

#2122718 - 07/25/13 10:01 AM Re: How long to upload an audiophile to Youtube? [Re: peterws]
Daniel Corban Offline

You shouldn't be using YouTube to post an audio file, period.

#2122720 - 07/25/13 10:11 AM Re: How long to upload an audiophile to Youtube? [Re: Daniel Corban]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

An audio file with a video attachment, so to speak. Rather than a video with an audio attachment. So I should`ve said "videofile" because that's where the megabytes seem to dwell . . . perhaps the lighting was too high or something.

""

#2122773 - 07/25/13 12:14 PM Re: How long to upload an audiophile to Youtube? [Re: peterws]
MrPozor Offline

Loc: near Paris, France
You could copy it on a stick and take it to a place with a good internet connection (University, Library, a friend, Cybercafé).
Or you could simply leave your computer running overnight if necessary.

Equipment: Petrof 118 L1

#2122776 - 07/25/13 12:18 PM Re: How long to upload an audiophile to Youtube? [Re: MrPozor]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I probably overlooked the saving options. Super-Massive quality isn`t necessary is it? I`ll be doin` another tonight. See how I get on . . .

""

#2123726 - 07/27/13 09:36 AM Re: How long to upload an audiophile to Youtube? [Re: peterws]
RoyR Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
I have two comments on file size:

First, maybe you are recording the audio file with an excessively high sampling or bit rate? A high rate gives you the best sound quality, but it's not necessary for YouTube, where the sound is compressed and fidelity is lost after it's posted anyway. So, record at a lower sampling rate. Also, maybe try to record in MP3 format...much smaller files with that. (Sidenote: Careful though...record in MP3 and you're stuck with MP3. Record in WAV and you can convert to MP3 and still retain the WAV file if you need it later.)

Next...converting audio file to a video file: I use Windows Live Moviemaker to generate movie files, and when I save the movie (slideshow), I select the output as "Email" or "Computer" rather than "High Def." I've used "email" a number of times to yield very small .wmv files and they sound fine on YouTube. In fact the movie file is much smaller than the original WAV file.

So...give those ideas a try.

Roy

#2123743 - 07/27/13 10:11 AM Re: How long to upload an audiophile to Youtube? [Re: peterws]
Allan W. Offline

Loc: Michigan
164MB for 3 minutes isn't unreasonable. Why not just do the upload overnight and see if it finishes in the morning?

#2123776 - 07/27/13 11:23 AM Re: How long to upload an audiophile to Youtube? [Re: Allan W.]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

TBH The song wasn`t brilliant . . .

""

#2123792 - 07/27/13 12:37 PM Re: How long to upload an audiophile to Youtube? [Re: peterws]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Going on from what RoyR said, there are sampling choices and I think part of it (maybe the greater?) involves video picture quality which eats up the most. It *is* possible to upload mp3 if you add a "slide show". I intend to look into this myself.

#2124152 - 07/28/13 09:20 AM Re: How long to upload an audiophile to Youtube? [Re: keystring]
RoyR Offline

Upload comparison:

--Original WAV file recorded on a Roland Juno Gi: upload was 26.2MB>> https://soundcloud.com/1royr/ocean-dreams-mar10-at-oc-with

--WMV media file made using above WAV file on Windows Live Movie Maker. Included one low-resolution snapshot, only so that I could make a proper video playable on YouTube. Saved the file at "email" (lowest) quality. Upload file size was 1.8MB >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3XuqSznuVc

Can anyone hear much of a difference in sound quality? Probably not, using just computer earphones.

--Roy

#2124241 - 07/28/13 01:10 PM Re: How long to upload an audiophile to Youtube? [Re: RoyR]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Interesting. Now, years ago when digital cameras were around 3mp at the bottom end o` the market, I had a Fuji Finepix. I reduced the quality to 1mp and the pictures looked no different. Still v. sharp. Cheap cameras have 12 mp and no increase in quality whatever. . . Bit off topic isn`t it?

""

#2124249 - 07/28/13 01:30 PM Re: How long to upload an audiophile to Youtube? [Re: peterws]
RoyR Offline

Peterws...not that off-topic! And you started this thread so it's OK!

I guess my point was that streamed audio is usually degraded, so no matter what quality the upload is, the way it sounds when it is streamed is pretty much the same. Plus, places like YouTube compress the data for storage so quality is lost. I think the only time upload quality matters is when you expect someone to download the file. Soundcloud stores the entire file uncompressed (I think) so upload quality would matter. But for YouTube? A low-quality upload is fine!

Same issue with digital cameras. Lots of pixels in a big photo file don't matter when the content is viewed only on a low-res computer screen, snapshot-size. But pixels matter on a big screen or on a hi-res printer.

With audio, a big data file compressed or streamed sounds about the same as a small file. But play back the entire uncompressed file on a good sound system, and the difference will be obvious.

So, Peterws...what is your overall conclusion with this? Are you still uploading those huge files or are you going with small ones?

--Roy

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Interesting Piano Pictures from FB
by Piano World
10/31/14 04:14 PM
PX-350 Keyboard Modification
by Charles Cohen
10/31/14 04:08 PM
Pricing and discounts on under $1000 digital pianos?
by MeghanM
10/31/14 03:51 PM
now THIS is how you get realistic organ sounds
by David Farley
10/31/14 03:43 PM
The power of music
by Calgary Mike
10/31/14 03:03 PM
Who's Online
150 registered (36251, Almaviva, accordeur, ajames, 39 invisible), 1748 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76720 Members
42 Forums
158646 Topics
2329903 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission