Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2122091 - 07/23/13 10:48 PM Best keyboard you've played on a DP,Synth,etc
Razor Offline

Just curious, but what is the best keyboard you've ever played on? Forget about sound for a minute, what's the best keyboard you've ever played on a DP or Synth?

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2122094 - 07/23/13 10:57 PM Re: Best keyboard you've played on a DP,Synth,etc [Re: Razor]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
'Best keyboard' means 'Most realistic keyboard action'?

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2122095 - 07/23/13 11:06 PM Re: Best keyboard you've played on a DP,Synth,etc [Re: Razor]
Kona_V-Piano Offline

I've played all the digital piano's on the market, including the Avantgrand series and the latest and greatest Kawai. I prefer the Yamaha CLP990's keyboard action the best over all of these. The V-Piano comes in second place.

#2122097 - 07/23/13 11:09 PM Re: Best keyboard you've played on a DP,Synth,etc [Re: Kawai James]
Razor Offline

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
'Best keyboard' means 'Most realistic keyboard action'?

Sure, but it doesn't have to. Can also be keyboard action you like best. Can list one of each, if you prefer.

#2122107 - 07/23/13 11:51 PM Re: Best keyboard you've played on a DP,Synth,etc [Re: Razor]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
I'm still not entirely sure about the question, to be honest...

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2122109 - 07/23/13 11:56 PM Re: Best keyboard you've played on a DP,Synth,etc [Re: Razor]
StarvingLion Offline

Kawai MP10

#2122121 - 07/24/13 01:03 AM Re: Best keyboard you've played on a DP,Synth,etc [Re: StarvingLion]
Hungry Wolf Offline

Originally Posted By: StarvingLion
Kawai MP10

How can you say this? Don't you know synthetic ivory kills imaginary elephants?? Think of Horton, Dumbo's friends, and Mr. Snuffleupagus. Not to mention that elephant that always seems to be in the room when you're here. Don't their lives matter?

#2122124 - 07/24/13 01:10 AM Re: Best keyboard you've played on a DP,Synth,etc [Re: Hungry Wolf]
erichlof Offline

Originally Posted By: Hungry Wolf
Originally Posted By: StarvingLion
Kawai MP10

How can you say this? Don't you know synthetic ivory kills imaginary elephants?? Think of Horton, Dumbo's friends, and Mr. Snuffleupagus. Not to mention that elephant that always seems to be in the room when you're here. Don't their lives matter?

Yeah, and what about all the little pink ones I'm seeing right now? Mmm?
Wait a minute...

#2122130 - 07/24/13 01:30 AM Re: Best keyboard you've played on a DP,Synth,etc [Re: Kawai James]
Razor Offline

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
I'm still not entirely sure about the question, to be honest...

Let me re-phrase it:

Out of all of the digital pianos you've played, which keyboard did you like the best in regard to how it "felt" to play?

#2122170 - 07/24/13 04:19 AM Re: Best keyboard you've played on a DP,Synth,etc [Re: Razor]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
VPC1 (RM3-II) so far. Very solid, quiet and expressive.

Currently opting for a GF based Kawai or something similar (don't know if Roland is silently developing an update to their PHA-III keybeds for september that addresses some issues, like thumping / hard bottoming).

For lightweight boards, the PX5S was surprisingly good, although you'll notice some trade-offs have to be made to keep it so light, compact and cheap.

I wonder how the new Fatar TP-40 wooden keybed with triple sensor plays, but off course it's nowhere to be seen or tried.

#2122238 - 07/24/13 09:58 AM Re: Best keyboard you've played on a DP,Synth,etc [Re: Razor]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Razor
Let me re-phrase it:

Out of all of the digital pianos you've played, which keyboard did you like the best in regard to how it "felt" to play?

It seems that most people who have played one answer this question with Yamaha AvantGrand, though I haven't had the chance to play one myself.

#2122341 - 07/24/13 01:31 PM Re: Best keyboard you've played on a DP,Synth,etc [Re: anotherscott]
Big McLargehuge Offline

DP I haven't played enough, and haven't played enough real pianos to really know what to look for! Other than "I like it" smile With that in mind I get on fine with my old StudioLogic SL990 pro, but I suspect it's on the lower-end of actions and it's just me gotten used to it. I liked the Nord Stage 2 very light action in the brief time I played it, and the Yamaha s90xs feels pretty good to me. As you can see I'm not used to heavier actions.

As far as synths, I really like the action(s) on my Access Virus and Kurzweil pc361. I think they are the same, Fatar tp-9, though my Virus is the kb model and is 10 years older. In any case I'd say they have a bit shorter throw than say my Motif (which isn't bad at all) and the aftertouch implementation is great (though that may say more about the programming). I also like the Korg m3.

#2122443 - 07/24/13 05:20 PM Re: Best keyboard you've played on a DP,Synth,etc [Re: Kona_V-Piano]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kona_V-Piano
I prefer the Yamaha CLP990's keyboard action the best over all of these. The V-Piano comes in second place.

I agree with this as I currently own the same two pianos:

The CLP-990's action is more authentic than most digitals due to the solid wood keys which are properly weighted and it also has the correct escapement simulation which allows one to play softly "off of the jack."

The V-Piano action is very fast and responsive although it feels a little too light in the weighting to be like an acoustic grand action.

#2122444 - 07/24/13 05:27 PM Re: Best keyboard you've played on a DP,Synth,etc [Re: Razor]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
Razor, I have read your post, here;

Let me re-phrase it:

Razor, you don't have to refrase it.

I love my acoustic 3 legged piano. But I would love any 3 legged acoustic piano.

I have a CLP-50 Clavinova, big speakers 20 years old. But I would love any Clavinova piano.

I have a Yam P95 that is awesome.. But I would love any digital that had weighted keys.

WHY?

Because I am humbly content to play any piano of any description, two hands, my eye-sight, my health to be strong enough to play and practice the piano.

I don't know how old you are, but it is not what you have that matters, but it is always what you do, and what you can do with what you have that matters.

So if you are committed to playing the piano, you are only limited by your commitment and not the piano/keyboard that you have to play on.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
139 registered (AndrewJCW, Abby Pianoman, Alex-SapRenovation, AndresD, 44 invisible), 1577 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75509 Members
42 Forums
156150 Topics
2293139 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Embedded ads?
by Peyton
10 minutes 51 seconds ago
Who's inspiring you right now?
by Arizona Sage
46 minutes 6 seconds ago
Best way to dispose of an old piano?
by fizikisto
Today at 08:33 AM
Mendelssohn on meaning in music
by phantomFive
Today at 04:08 AM
Youtube! :)
by PianoPlayer98
Today at 02:46 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission