2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, 3 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Razor Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Just curious, but what is the best keyboard you've ever played on? Forget about sound for a minute, what's the best keyboard you've ever played on a DP or Synth?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
'Best keyboard' means 'Most realistic keyboard action'?

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
K
K
I've played all the digital piano's on the market, including the Avantgrand series and the latest and greatest Kawai. I prefer the Yamaha CLP990's keyboard action the best over all of these. The V-Piano comes in second place.

Roland V-Piano, Yamaha CLP990, Yamaha S90
R
Razor Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Kawai James
'Best keyboard' means 'Most realistic keyboard action'?

Sure, but it doesn't have to. Can also be keyboard action you like best. Can list one of each, if you prefer.

I'm still not entirely sure about the question, to be honest...

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
S
S
Kawai MP10

I'm starting the solid wooden keys revolution in digital pianos. Get'em now or be square!
H
H
Originally Posted by StarvingLion
Kawai MP10

How can you say this? Don't you know synthetic ivory kills imaginary elephants?? Think of Horton, Dumbo's friends, and Mr. Snuffleupagus. Not to mention that elephant that always seems to be in the room when you're here. Don't their lives matter?

E
E
Originally Posted by Hungry Wolf
Originally Posted by StarvingLion
Kawai MP10

How can you say this? Don't you know synthetic ivory kills imaginary elephants?? Think of Horton, Dumbo's friends, and Mr. Snuffleupagus. Not to mention that elephant that always seems to be in the room when you're here. Don't their lives matter?

Yeah, and what about all the little pink ones I'm seeing right now? Mmm?
Wait a minute...

R
Razor Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Kawai James
I'm still not entirely sure about the question, to be honest...

Let me re-phrase it:

Out of all of the digital pianos you've played, which keyboard did you like the best in regard to how it "felt" to play?

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
VPC1 (RM3-II) so far. Very solid, quiet and expressive.

Currently opting for a GF based Kawai or something similar (don't know if Roland is silently developing an update to their PHA-III keybeds for september that addresses some issues, like thumping / hard bottoming).

For lightweight boards, the PX5S was surprisingly good, although you'll notice some trade-offs have to be made to keep it so light, compact and cheap.

I wonder how the new Fatar TP-40 wooden keybed with triple sensor plays, but off course it's nowhere to be seen or tried.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Razor
Let me re-phrase it:

Out of all of the digital pianos you've played, which keyboard did you like the best in regard to how it "felt" to play?

It seems that most people who have played one answer this question with Yamaha AvantGrand, though I haven't had the chance to play one myself.

B
B
DP I haven't played enough, and haven't played enough real pianos to really know what to look for! Other than "I like it" smile With that in mind I get on fine with my old StudioLogic SL990 pro, but I suspect it's on the lower-end of actions and it's just me gotten used to it. I liked the Nord Stage 2 very light action in the brief time I played it, and the Yamaha s90xs feels pretty good to me. As you can see I'm not used to heavier actions.

As far as synths, I really like the action(s) on my Access Virus and Kurzweil pc361. I think they are the same, Fatar tp-9, though my Virus is the kb model and is 10 years older. In any case I'd say they have a bit shorter throw than say my Motif (which isn't bad at all) and the aftertouch implementation is great (though that may say more about the programming). I also like the Korg m3.

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Kona_V-Piano
I prefer the Yamaha CLP990's keyboard action the best over all of these. The V-Piano comes in second place.

I agree with this as I currently own the same two pianos:

The CLP-990's action is more authentic than most digitals due to the solid wood keys which are properly weighted and it also has the correct escapement simulation which allows one to play softly "off of the jack."

The V-Piano action is very fast and responsive although it feels a little too light in the weighting to be like an acoustic grand action.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Razor, I have read your post, here;

Let me re-phrase it:

Razor, you don't have to refrase it.

I love my acoustic 3 legged piano. But I would love any 3 legged acoustic piano.

I have a CLP-50 Clavinova, big speakers 20 years old. But I would love any Clavinova piano.

I have a Yam P95 that is awesome.. But I would love any digital that had weighted keys.

WHY?

Because I am humbly content to play any piano of any description, two hands, my eye-sight, my health to be strong enough to play and practice the piano.

I don't know how old you are, but it is not what you have that matters, but it is always what you do, and what you can do with what you have that matters.

So if you are committed to playing the piano, you are only limited by your commitment and not the piano/keyboard that you have to play on.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission